Fruitless: Tourists they face jail time for bringing fruits to Thailand, govt warns

webfact

14 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Never mind the tourists.

How about the Thais who cross borders and bring fruit and veg back into Thailand without a licence?

Exactly.  Another useless report.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Utterly clueless. The lack of talent, vision, understanding and humility is astonishing, on the part of the officials here. Can they ever learn anything? 

Some sort of communication between the Thailand Tourism Authority and Customs/Immigration would be a start. Perhaps a crash course on how to treat tourists with some respect would be a good start. Would it hurt to make tourists feel welcome? The first time they see any of Thailand's LOS is after they leave the airport.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, JensenZ said:

This reminds me of my own experience back in about 1998. I was flying from US to Australia. I packed 2 bananas in my carry on bag which I intended to eat on board. I'd forgotten about them, and when I was picking up my bags at the Brisbane airport the sniffer dogs were getting excited at the smell of overripe bananas.

They did a full search and treated me like a criminal due to an obvious mistake. Wtf would anyone smuggle 2 overripe bananas (practically mush at this point) into Australia. Customs officers are not allowed to use common sense. The whole customs team was totally bamboozled and didn't know what to do. I was there for hours, waiting for a decision. Luckily they didn't arrest me and sent a fine in the mail.

This is no way to treat tourists... over fruit. A tourist is not importing fruit, but bringing something to eat. Just throw it in a bin and tell the tourist it's not allowed.

I witnessed pretty much the same event back in 2001. I was at LAX in the USA returning from Thailand and waiting for my bags to come out on the carousel like everyone else.

Looking just behind me I see a security canine handler walking a cute little Beagle around as it was sniffing around everyone and their carry-on items. 

The next thing I know the beagle started letting out one of those notorious Beagle barks (howls). The dog was tying to dig into a backpack sitting on the floor between a guy and girl. The handler looked at the guy and asked if it was his bag. The guy said, 'no' and proceeded to step away. 

The handler next asked the girl if it was her bag and she replied, 'yes'. The handler then asked if he could inspect it. Again she said, 'yes'. The handler opened the backpack and after searching through it reached in and pulled out an apple. He informed the girl that is was unlawful to bring fruit into the country and confiscated the apple.

As this was all occurring I was half expecting someone to be bolting down the terminal with a chase in pursuit as well as the handler pulling out a kilo of cocaine instead of an apple.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Yep. Amazing how many people try to get food in. <deleted>. Don't know if you know this stuff but I took some natto (japanese fermented soybeans that really smells but I like it) into Aus. I declared it, they didn't know what it was, I openned up one package and the customs officer took several steps back, looked like they were going to throw up and basically said "go for Christ's sake go now". Always declare food going into Australia.

I recall the United Airlines flight I was on back in early 2000 when the smell of durian hit the air after takeoff. An attendant came on the PA system asking for the person who brought the fruit aboard to declare it. I'm not sure if anyone did.