Transfer to new US passport -- Embassy says letter is no longer required, as of April 10, 2023

4 hours ago, TaoNow said:

TGJ -- actually, what do you have to notarize? 

You've been here long enough not to need that kind of support from ACS/US Embassy.

As I noted in another thread, try to be as independent as you can as an ex-pat.  That is skillful.

Don't rely on a spouse, an agent, the consulate, the embassy, or any which way.

You will enjoy life more and have less need for forums like this.

Best try to time your need for notarizations with trips back to US. Avoid the exorbitant notarial fees.

On 4/13/2023 at 11:53 AM, retiree said:

Embassy/Consulate will no longer issue passport linkage letters with newly issued passports

I've been in Thailand for 26 yrs and including one stolen passport and one that got full of stamps (the latest after 'they' decided not to add pages anymore), I've been through 5 passports.  I've never used a "linkage letter" to get my info transferred to the new one.  I don't see the problem.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, swm59nj said:

When I lived in Bangkok for three years recently  I did contact the US Embassy in Bangkok.   This was regarding concerns and questions for certain issues.  They either spoke to me on the phone or via email.  They did respond  timely and explain everything to me.  
I also had an ongoing issue with Social Security for a few months.  Even after repeated calls to the Social Security office in the USA  that handled that specific issue. .  I contacted the US embassy in Manila.  The embassy took care of the issue. 
In the case of this letter not being issued.  It might be that Thailand Immigration is aware of it.  But the US Embassy has no control if  Thailand immigration staff don’t understand the new policy.  That would be the responsibility of Thailand Immigration to educate the staff.  
The US Embassies have restrictions what they can and cannot do.  They cannot step in for every little thing.  If a person chooses to reside in another country.  They have to accept the possible issues that might happen. 

I kind of disagree with the last portion. 

I don't know who is requiring it or don't what we do know all of a sudden it is being said by the Embassy it is no longer required after all this time.  What I do know even when I renewed September of last year I was told automatic! 

You noted " restrictions as what they can and can not do "  yes I don't expect them to step in for every little thing.  Although as a government and the some belief government can't run anything I do expect proper communication even from government!  That expectation is to explain clearly why they are discontinuing and to make sure even in Thailand a representative of the Embassy make sure this decision is mutual and all Thai immigration know of the decision so citizen aren't left hanging in the wind or as they said in the middle!  In the end if the Thai immigration refuses the problem end up on their lap so taking time to get it right even for government is the proper procedure. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 12:05 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Seems like they're slowly getting out of the business of locally doing most anything related to actual US expats living here....

DCF died years ago

Yes, talk about taxation without representation eh? That would truly be the American Expat

Within the past year I applied and received for a passport online and receive the documentation. When I went to CW the immigration officer knew exactly what to do and I felt that the letter was totally insignificant to the process. This isn't an opinion that I'm simply offering here but at the time I had this feeling as well.

So if it's any comfort I wouldn't be too worried about it at immigration.

Edited by Menken

2 hours ago, Menken said:

I felt that the letter was totally insignificant to the process. This isn't an opinion that I'm simply offering here but at the time I had this feeling as well.

Forgive me here... but you "feeling" the Embassy letter was "insignificant" to the process of getting your info transferred over to the new passport at Immigration does NOT translate into knowing that Immigration would have done the deed in the absence of the Embassy letter, because you in fact presented one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My approved renewal U.S. passport is expected soon, hopefully this week.  Being in Chiang Mai, what to expect Thai immigration how will act when I request to have my stamps from the old passport to the new one without the embassy letter.

There is also the Thai immigration form requesting the stamp transfers that needs to be submitted.

Thai immigration returned the last two "linkage letters" I gave them, but I have no idea what would have happened if I hadn't had them. If you get my drift.

It has always been an insane requirement, unless the passport holder's personal details changed from one passport to the next. If they match, the old and the new passport really ought to suffice, probably the most tamper-proof kind of documents in the world. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/13/2023 at 6:24 PM, Lucky Bones said:

Similar problem this year @ Jomtien.

Passport was ok (15 months new) but my updated bankbook only had 11.5 months of transactions (meeting all requirements.)

Had to get old cancelled bank book & take photos of last 18 months transactions and the front page.

Haven't come across this one in 10 years.

This is the sort of thing that drives people towards Elite Visas. Something that should be so easy sometimes just isn't. Expensive solution though.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Forgive me here... but you "feeling" the Embassy letter was "insignificant" to the process of getting your info transferred over to the new passport at Immigration does NOT translate into knowing that Immigration would have done the deed in the absence of the Embassy letter, because you in fact presented one.

Did I say it did?

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2023 at 1:04 PM, kennw said:

Australia embassy also will not issue a letter the just put a stamp in your old passport and you have to write in the number of your new passport. IMO at CW accepted that but demanded I produce a bank certified statement of one years transactions.  

Received my new Australia passport yesterday and immediately went looking for the stamp or note in it. Nothing. But then the wife gave me a separate envelope also received with the one containing my passport and it contained a signed and stamped letter from the embassy confirming old and new passport details. Quite perplexed as to why it would not be in the same envelope as the passport and just a bit thankful we got it. (Maybe 30% of mail we know has been sent to us is never delivered.) Anyway will be heading to my local Immigration office to attempt the required visa/stamps transfers in the next few days and will update again if I encounter challenges. If no update, went okay.

• 5 months later...
On 4/13/2023 at 1:29 PM, Lucky Bones said:

Next the IO will be asking if the GF is a new GF.

If so, need a letter from your wife.????????

That is very nearly correct.  The first year I extended visa for reason of retirement (previously was for reason of marriage) the IO required my wife to be there to sign documents.