Foodland, especially Foodland Sukhumvit Soi 5 in Bangkok - why is it so empty?

OneMoreFarang

6 hours ago, mstevens said:

Here in New Zealand, salmon is up 50% in price over the past couple of years. Why? It's all local. I don't get it!

It’s not that simple, and cannot all just be blamed on inflation. And yes, New Zealand is a good example. If you compare food prices, say in Oz and NZ, you will find that prices in NZ are way higher than retail prices in Oz (and no, I don’t mean the 8% difference in currency strength, but much higher). This despite the fact that NZ has an abundance of food. Same for NZ milk, which you can buy at a lower price at WalMart in China than in NZ itself! Why? Because Fonterra likes to charge NZ customers more than international trading partners...

Same for Thailand, if imported food prices double in price or rise by 50%, then it cannot be just blamed on inflation, the oil price, or the 5%-fluctuation in the exchange rate to the U.S. dollar.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

15 hours ago, digbeth said:

It was in a sort of a mall, where Homepro or some posh hotel is now, just under the Ploenchit Station

It's usually full of embassy staff, I don't think there's any Thai Supermarket back then, only Foodland and Villa, plus many other Thai operation that died off since then, some like T.Super near Soi 51 is such surviving sample, I think also Central started as similar outfit but moved onto Department Stores

The Thais seem to make a big deal about being an air-conditioned market 

It wasn't a mall, it was a standalone store with the usual vendors. If I remember correctly, it moved when the expressway was built because it was located where the expressway entrance is now,

It hasn't been around since the late 80's or early 90's anyway. At that time, there was no BTS, no Homepro, and only a couple of Japanese department stores.  The Wittayu area around Sukhumvit contained mainly a bunch of cheap outdoor Thai restaurants and translation and photo services for embassy customers.  The roads were filled with stinking garbage and the traffic was horrendous.

I have fond memories of the early Foodland and I shopped there often when I lived in Thailand back in the 80's. It's too bad it's deteriorated to the extent that it has.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, isaanistical said:

no need, I am sure we all agree, but your list of grievances hasn't changed in the nearly 30 years I have been here, so why do they only now cause people to up and away?

I think covid caused a reset and a rethink on the part of many. Personally, I am OK staying here. But, a huge number of expats have left. And this dumb administration has kind of ruined alot. That is just a fact. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

It wasn't a mall, it was a standalone store with the usual vendors. If I remember correctly, it moved when the expressway was built because it was located where the expressway entrance is now,

It hasn't been around since the late 80's or early 90's anyway. At that time, there was no BTS, no Homepro, and only a couple of Japanese department stores.  The Wittayu area around Sukhumvit contained mainly a bunch of cheap outdoor Thai restaurants and translation and photo services for embassy customers.  The roads were filled with stinking garbage and the traffic was horrendous.

I have fond memories of the early Foodland and I shopped there often when I lived in Thailand back in the 80's. It's too bad it's deteriorated to the extent that it has.

It was definitely a mall, not in American style but an 'arcade' with other shops on the same premises I distintly remembered I got my glasses from eyeglass store in the same mall, there were also some clothes shop

It also didn't get demolished when the expressway were built, it was directly opposite the Mahatun Plaza which is now mostly office building

The expressway was up around 81, Ploenchit Arcade where Foodland was in was around to at least 88-89

On 4/14/2023 at 12:16 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I agree the expats and tourists are still not on the pre Covid level. But I don't think they are 80% down. And it seems Foodland business is way down. I wouldn't be surprised if they close it in that location because there are just not enough customers anymore. 

I left Bangkok a few of months ago, and from my condo it was easy to see that 99% of condos in that area were at 5% occupancy, with a few approaching 10%. The condo I vacated is still sitting empty 2+ months later and it was basically on the highest available floor. The expats have not returned and the tourists are not shopping at supermarkets.

I get a kick out of seeing youtube videos with the agents talking about how things are picking up fast and you better grab a place now while there are still deals because prices are going up... that was 6 - 8 months ago. ????

That and the complete lack of businesses catering to farang on Soi 5 leaves you with an empty Foodland.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

a huge number of expats have left. And this dumb administration has kind of ruined alot. That is just a fact. 

Still not disagreeing, but what have these 'administrators' ruined that Chavalit's lot didn't? Or Thaksin? Etc. In many ways TH is like Italy, functioning somehow despite the constant interruptions of alleged] government. Yes, bricks and mortar have changed a bit, but "ruined"? Not that I have any sort of sympathy with the current dumbos, of course (just to make that clear!).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Menken said:

The area is full of undesirables and long since devoid of the fun, frolic, randomness of the 90s. It's just sort of a hollow shell of that 80-90s era.

Now, it's all the hassles, double the expense but none of the free booting naughtyness.

Exactly this. Sukhumvit long ago ceased to be the nutty, flavoursome place it was in the '90's.

8 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Forget Mexican food in Thailand. I learned that the hard way.

Dunno what that means....

1. I make my own at home very nicely, and 2. there certainly is a range of at least decent Mexican restaurants in BKK for eat-in or home delivery.

Unfortunately, Foodland has very little to offer in terms of ingredients for Mexican food home cooking.... though they do at least have bags of dry pinto beans, to their credit.

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

Exactly this. Sukhumvit long ago ceased to be the nutty, flavoursome place it was in the '90's.

I don't know if it ever was "nutty, flavoursome".

I live in that area since almost 30 years. Did it change? Sure. But as far as I see it, it is still similar to what it was a long time ago. Now there are just more new condominiums, restaurants, shopping malls, etc.. I still see some of the same people which I saw there in 1995 - including in Took Lae Dee in Foodland Soi 5. 

The key moment of decline was when they all but abandoned trying to provide a serious cheese selection. It is 10 years+ since they stocked French Heritage Camembert, the greatest cheese to have existed. Now, a pack of processed cheese sandwich slices is the best you'll find.

Economics. The days of decent prices for the 90% of expats are gone. Anyplace nice in Thailand is now for the much wealthier top 10%. For the less wealthy 90%, well, they have to go to the crappier places like Makro, which is cheap junk like Walmart

I've seen this type of thing happen everywhere in the west. Soi 5 Foodland will probably be converted to an even more expensive "premium" store. 

Down in Pattya, I saw 3 westerners at Foodland the other night. Everybody else was ME or Indian. Big C Super down the street flooded with westerners. 

Edited by Furioso
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know if it ever was "nutty, flavoursome".

I live in that area since almost 30 years. Did it change? Sure. But as far as I see it, it is still similar to what it was a long time ago. Now there are just more new condominiums, restaurants, shopping malls, etc.. I still see some of the same people which I saw there in 1995 - including in Took Lae Dee in Foodland Soi 5. 

But no Sukhumvit Sq, Soi Zero, Clinton Plaza, Check inn 99, Asoke corner, Queens Park Plaza, painter bars on 33 etc. Think there was a beer garden in Soi 8 and 23. Very bland on the nightlife compared to 20+ years back. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, proton said:

But no Sukhumvit Sq, Soi Zero, Clinton Plaza, Check inn 99, Asoke corner, Queens Park Plaza, painter bars on 33 etc. Think there was a beer garden in Soi 8 and 23. Very bland on the nightlife compared to 20+ years back. 

With the loss of those watering holes goes all the tarts. The internet has changed the p4p scene forever. Vast majority of bar GIRLS are over 40 which as a one-off not necessarily a problem but a gaggle probably not a good draw. Cowboy suffers this as well.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Menken said:

With the loss of those watering holes goes all the tarts. The internet has changed the p4p scene forever. Vast majority of bar GIRLS are over 40 which as a one-off not necessarily a problem but a gaggle probably not a good draw. Cowboy suffers this as well.

Good luck they still have some pretty girls in Nana - at least in some of the bars.

55 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Good luck they still have some pretty girls in Nana - at least in some of the bars.

*Some*, imagine at least a few uni contract girls.

It's as much about the vibe and experience. I'd not been in Nana for a decade but did a walkthrough. All I saw were a few cadgy ladyboys and loads of mediocre women on phones completely disinterested in directing me inside to a bottle of 160-180b beer. Nana has jump the shark long, long ago. Bacara aside the same story is true on cowboy. I remember once being in a go-go bar I won't name which and thinking between the oldies, fatties and mutts that my wife at that time about 44 years old look better than 85 to 90% of the working women in the club.

I've been married/ together 15 years. I think I've bfd a date about half dozen times in my life and 50% of that just so my regulars and myself could go day drinking on the beach.

I don't like the area and the Nana BTS walk of shame would really bug me. It just screams I am a (sex) tourist, first time in Thailand, first year Thailand... at the very least.

There are some old condos with reasonable prices close to the BTS which is certainly tempting if one is working. Omni has to be the View Talay of BKK ????

Soi 4 ok for a crawl but living there eeesh.. the street itself even smells foul and that's just not simply the gas coming up out of the sewers. Finally, one thing that would really bug the hell out of me is walking past the same shops and street vendors and forever being bugged to buy something or to take a massage. Despite living there for years you're just some falang face

Edited by Menken

22 hours ago, JimTripper said:

We eat good Mexican food here every week but it is almost certainly not available throughout the country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, isaanistical said:

Still not disagreeing, but what have these 'administrators' ruined that Chavalit's lot didn't? Or Thaksin? Etc. In many ways TH is like Italy, functioning somehow despite the constant interruptions of alleged] government. Yes, bricks and mortar have changed a bit, but "ruined"? Not that I have any sort of sympathy with the current dumbos, of course (just to make that clear!).

Unemployment is very high, despite the fake news to the contrary. Exports are down. Property sales are down. New car sales are down. Everywhere I look I see vacancies. Prayuth. Mr. Decimation. 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Unemployment is very high, despite the fake news to the contrary. Exports are down. Property sales are down. New car sales are down. Everywhere I look I see vacancies. Prayuth. Mr. Decimation. 

He just needs more time... you know, to fix everything. 

On 4/14/2023 at 12:24 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Good one!

That reminds me of the alcohol promotion ladies in Foodland. I think they are still there.

I never understood the reason to have them there. Do people buy more bottles if some women with makeup stand near to the bottles and play with their mobile phones? Strange. 

They push near-expired wines on the ignorant. 

Especially those clear glass wines marketed at women.

Clear glass looks pretty, but it is kryptonite to wine. 

Three weeks is all it takes for light to break down the complexity of a wines structure.

Avoid the clear glass wines -and invite the pretty out for a beer!

Edited by chalawaan

The one on Ratchada is pretty decent but always smells off.

when they stopped stalking Heinz relish in a tall jar I pretty much stopped visiting. In fact, they stop stocking a number of things I enjoyed. Rarely have sales I can take advantage of .

Edited by Menken

On 4/13/2023 at 10:48 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'd be a bit leary of fresh produce from the Khlong Toei market... Thailand has problems with excessive pesticide use and residues on their fruits and veggies.... as has been documented in the past by the private group ThaiPAN, which ran its own lab certified random testing in past years.

And the stuff that ends up in fresh markets is probably untracked and little regulated... though even the major supermarkets also had problems with this in the past... even among items labeled "organic," which tends to have little meaning/value if it's a Thai government "organic" designation.

https://thaipan-org.translate.goog/action/1107?_x_tr_sl=th&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

"Thai Pan reveals fruit and vegetable test results reveal 41% of pesticide residues exceeded standards. Department store vegetables are worse than fresh market vegetables."

My idea would be to buy the types of food that usually require less, elsewhere the clean 15 vs the dirty dozen, don't know if that applies though in LOS, otherwise just only buy UK frozen Waitrose from TOPS?

• Haha 1

On 4/15/2023 at 10:59 AM, JimTripper said:
On 4/14/2023 at 12:58 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Foodland is horrible when it comes to any decent Mexican food grocery products.

I have not found that to be the case at all. Avocados are always available, Along with Pok Chee or corriander leaves, onions both red a white also. They have Mission wraps which are the best flour tortillas you will find here. They carry dried pinto beans, along with cumin and Mexican chili powder.  Tomatoes both tinned and fresh are always there and they carry more than one kind of tortilla chips. What more do you want. You have guacamole, salsa cruda, and tacos, burritos or enchiladas to your hearts content.  Few days ago whipped up this carnitas pork, perfect with some cheese topped refried beans along with fresh salsa.

469247_10151383512576266_1661586575_o (1).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/16/2023 at 12:09 AM, proton said:

Chuwit park bars and Washington sq .....  they're all gone now ... Queens pk plaza was pretty good in the old days.