Thai Man Arrested for Defrauding American Women of 18 Million Baht in Call Center Scam

webfact

1 hour ago, fittobethaied said:

Racket, in my estimation the safest account in a Thai bank would be a Foreign Currency Fixed Deposit Account which is a 3, 6, 9 or 12 month time deposit. Any transactions on this type of account have to be done in person inside the bank, and to withdraw or deposit to this account requires a verifiable signature surrender of the original deposit certificate. You can see this account on your eBanking site, but no online transactions are allowed.

This scam was perpetrated on US citizens in the US with the money coming from US banks initially.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rbkk said:

I'd say Thai women are the best in the world at crime. Quote: "Thailand's female incarceration rate is the world's highest at 66.4 female convicts per 100,000 inhabitants." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Department_of_Corrections_(Thailand)#:~:text=Thailand's female incarceration rate is,female convicts per 100%2C000 inhabitants.

Thai women may indeed be active in crime,  but the fact that they have a high incarceration rate  is hardly a testament to their "skill" so clearly not "the best"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Alot of people just do not understand how corrosive, damaging, degrading and nasty social media can be. Or phone scams. There are an infinite number of scammers, predators and fraudsters out there. Most of us have the good sense to avoid them, and not get taken in by their unwillingness to do actual work for a living. 

It boggles the mind, to consider the number of people who fall for these scams. Someone calls you, or contacts you online, and you send them money? Someone you have never met? Someone you have not researched? What gives? Where are the survival instincts? 

A friend of mine would also like to know some details of how this is done.

11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The scam originated from a US bank, in the US.

The money may have come from a us bank but the scam came from here. The surprising part is that my long lost rich Nigerian Uncle isn't involved! Oh wait he died and his lawyer must have been involved 

4 hours ago, Dan O said:
16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The scam originated from a US bank, in the US.

The money may have come from a us bank but the scam came from here.

The money did come from US banks and you completely missed my point. 

The poster I addressed was using the scam to denigrate the security of Thai banks ("This is one of the reason I never keep too much money sitting in a thai bank"...his words), when the banking lack of security (in his mind) in the cases of the American women was a US "banking issue", not a Thai bank's problem.  

Edited by Liverpool Lou