Really Wish I Hadn't Invited My Friend To Visit

Brewster67

Having lived/worked overseas for many years, when friends say they would like to come out, I suggest the following:  Airport Taxi Contact numbers, a selection of Hotel prices, suggest the need for travel Insurance and why, state how much money to bring and double it, explain tactfully you are on a tight budget with no money to lenda nd finally which bars are best and sights to see.

It might help to explain manners in Thailand as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Pdavies99 said:

Having lived/worked overseas for many years, when friends say they would like to come out, I suggest the following:  Airport Taxi Contact numbers, a selection of Hotel prices, suggest the need for travel Insurance and why, state how much money to bring and double it, explain tactfully you are on a tight budget with no money to lenda nd finally which bars are best and sights to see.

It might help to explain manners in Thailand as well.

Send them to the south if you are north or vice versa.

• Thanks 1

I had an acquaintance, a girl knew a bit. ( I’m a lady). She knew I was in phuket and, invited herself. Well, I thought, a few days is ok.  She stayed 2 weeks !! I told her I wasn’t up to discos etc so she went by herself. I did give her a few tips on behavior, Thai men etc. 
one night 5 am, she wasn’t back.  I was freaking out . In she wanders, shoes in hand. The tuc tuc driver lift back from Patong , suggested a beach stroll under the stars in, I think, N’ai Harn.  Nowhere near my place and you don’t drive near it from Patong.  Well, she must have been lucky, nothing happpened and he deposited her in front of my door !!! Could hardly believe it. I had to tell her to go, you just don’t do things like that, anywhere. We were about 30++.

• Haha 1

On 4/15/2023 at 4:41 PM, Brewster67 said:

On another occasion I took him to a regular restaurant that i use a lot, and am rather friendly with the family who run it. The matriach of the family served us and my friend obviously took a liking to her and as she walked away from the table he grabbed her butt right in front of her twenty-something son who was in the army... The look on his face, if they hadn't known me so well I think it would have been all out war.

Unacceptable behaviour in much of the country, but pretty common in Pattaya and a few other places, lol. Maybe your friend had spent some time in Sin City before and thought the rest of the country would be the same.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Not often. But, that means little to me. If anyone wants to call me out, for something stupid I am doing or saying, they are welcome. If they don't it is on them.

And if that is the funniest thing you heard in years, I recommend seeing some excellent stand up comedy. 

MARK , ITS NICE THAT YOU LIVE IN DREAMLAND.

On 4/16/2023 at 12:04 PM, Stevey said:

Ahh ! Perfect I can get this off my chest.

So you’re one of the ones who won’t make eye contact with other Falangs ? 

Yes I’ve been here a few years in Isaan near  NongKhai. 4 years ago was the first time I experienced an old man blank me. I was in a little electrical shop browsing. A sixty up year old man had walked into the shop and as I turned around he was about a foot away from me. We made eye contact and I made some kind of remark such as Hi. He responded with a frowned questioning look and a made a face which is internationally known to mean “ why are you interrupting my life ? I entered this shop with my wife who understands about 25% of Zee Verds I speaken can you please get away from me “ 

I gave him a piece of my mind and I’ve been doing it ever since. Never seen so many shy sixty plus year olds. For a while I started to think it maybe them not being very good on the old English. But I let a guy a few months ago know what time it was as he walked right past me wearing a Panama hat on an empty street , I could have touched him he was that close. There is no way in the world I could possibly let someone mug me off like that in public so he got it too. Worked out he was English. Weirdos indeed but they think it’s weird to acknowledge a fellow foreigner that is standing next to you in a remote village corner shop. I’ve had that multiple times. 

I Get " Blanked" Almost ALL of the Time in Nong Khai Where I've lived for 7 Years now, I Don't Know Why because I've even changed the Soap & Deodorant I Use.....They're Really are some very STRANGE Falangs Live in this Town.....

Edited by Nong Khai Man
More Added
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

The word friend is banded about to losely IMHO I use acquaintance.

I guess I'm lucky to say the best friend I've ever had was my Dad. 

My Thai wife is obviously more than friend.

Sons and daughters I take for granted they come and see me.

Guys and girls, ladies I know here are really only acquaintances.

I have a good buddy who's here 6 months of the year and we go riding our motorbikes to all corners of Thailand 

We been doing that for some 11 years so Yeah I guess I could call him a friend. ????

I guess I'm lucky to say the best friend I've ever had was my Dad. Me Too M8,Along with my Late Brother....

I went on a stag "do"  and booze buying trip for the wedding some years back involving an overnight X Channel ferry trip from Portsmouth to Roscoff. We were all 40 something. Apart from bad behaviour in the ferry's bar. one of our number who got lairy in drink picked a fight with another passenger over a spot for his sleeping bag, another got locked out of his cabin naked. Once in France we were asked to leave a café/bar because one of our number ( I'll call him " the nutter" ) insisted on setting fire to paper napkins and throwing them at the groom. We were to get the evening ferry back but there was time to have dinner. A quieter member of the party made the mistake of booking a very nice restaurant for us at which he was well known. At first everyone was well behaved until the nutter said " watch this" then very politely in his best French  asked for a raw egg, still in it's shell. It was duly brought. He then stood up and smashed it on the head of the groom whilst singing Rule Britannia. The groom reacted by standing up and attempting a punch. The restaurant owner then asked us all to leave immediately or the gendarmes would be called. Lucky he gave us any warning at all. The poor chap who had booked the table was absolutely mortified, profusely apologising, bowing and scraping to the owner as we  left, most  of us with heads hung in shame.

One expects high jinks on a stag do particularly aimed at the groom but this was on another level altogether, especially for a group of usually well to do, well behaved 40 somethings. Why the groom invited the nutter beats me, as it 

• Thanks 1

When I lived back in Scotland I knew which friends of mine were over fond of the drink, surely you must have known what his drinking habits were like before you invited him over here.

How long had you known him?

On 4/15/2023 at 7:25 PM, bogs smith said:

'We all need friends here... I could be a friend to you...'

bogs.jpeg

You would never be a friend to me unless you wear a shirt, even in your own home if I am in the same room as you. Wait a minute, is that a shower you are standing next to? That is OK if it was a selfie or the wife/gf took it.

14 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

I am not the farang to ignore the small talk and greetings I just don't initiate it. 

You expect "eye contact" acknowledgement and if not they are weird?  I don't think so. Just because somebody is a foreigner does not make them your "fellow". Do Thai men get the same? Off topic but in the US depending on the area if you look at men on the street you are going to have problems. 30 percent are basically primates. 

I think everybody should be treated with the same level of respect depending on the situation.  If you are in my condo or parking area this is communal living space you will get a nod, eye contact, a greeting, in Thai etc. It is racist to assume people who look like white westerners speak English.  I'm supposed to say "hi" What is "hi"? Makes no sense. We have a lot of older Thai people and everyone is very polite. There is one foreign guy who is hostile to the point of him getting off the elevator if others board and another overly outgoing and intrusive gormless clod I do my best to avoid, but I would avoid him in any country. 

I just take any 5hit of anyone and I’ve got zero embarrassment. This is life not a rehearsal. You mentioned there that you give people the eye contact and the nod and move on about your day. Perfectly acceptable. What I’m getting in town is or sometimes the village is a pretty much 90% of every Falang I meet makes eye contact for a second then mulls it over in the noggin for another half a second then the internal network says to him “ look away !! “. Very strange. So that where having zero embarrassment comes in. Like I said to a guy at big C a few weeks ago. He turned around from the ATM at the entrance all 60years of him and looks straight in my eyes. His mouth opened very slightly as I’d to say Hello and then thought better of it and he looked away. The poor boy did not know what he had let himself in for ????. So he got the treatment that they all get if they dare to make eye contact and look away, even if they are with their family. In a voice like I’m talking slowly to a child I say “ Go on…. you were gonna say Hi weren’t you ? Are you shy ? At which point this 60year old says in his continental accent with his bleached hair stammering like Boris Johnson  “ Wwwwell I dddddont have to tttalk to you ! “ These boys are not men. How these lads are shy at 60 plus is a mystery. 

It’s called the land of smiles for a reason and I see this every day being able to speak the lingo and communicate with the locals in markets and in shops. But for these buffoons it is the land of frowns or Land of looking away.

I am not interested in making friends with everyone I catch a glance of, I made that mistake last year and the guy would call me up and talk utter rubbish for 3-4 hours at 9pm and couldn’t get him to end the call, a whole night of relaxing lost to a sociopath pensioner.

But IF it’s normal for a Thai to make eye contact with his fellow humans with a nod of acknowledgment then why are these oldies carrying on like they are above it all ? 

I think a lot of it is based on they get here , get in the local club, make enough contacts and think that’s me I’m set ! Not acknowledging another non-Thai man again ! 

I’ve lost count of the boys I’ve dressed down good and proper ???? great fun catching them out. 

6 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I Get " Blanked" Almost ALL of the Time in Nong Khai Where I've lived for 7 Years now, I Don't Know Why because I've even changed the Soap & Deodorant I Use.....They're Really are some very STRANGE Falangs Live in this Town.....

Europeans. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/16/2023 at 1:04 PM, Stevey said:

Yes I’ve been here a few years in Isaan near  NongKhai. 4 years ago was the first time I experienced an old man blank me. I was in a little electrical shop browsing. A sixty up year old man had walked into the shop and as I turned around he was about a foot away from me. We made eye contact and I made some kind of remark such as Hi. He responded with a frowned questioning look and a made a face which is internationally known to mean “ why are you interrupting my life ? I entered this shop with my wife who understands about 25% of Zee Verds I speaken can you please get away from me “ 

I gave him a piece of my mind and I’ve been doing it ever since. Never seen so many shy sixty plus year olds. For a while I started to think it maybe them not being very good on the old English. But I let a guy a few months ago know what time it was as he walked right past me wearing a Panama hat on an empty street , I could have touched him he was that close. There is no way in the world I could possibly let someone mug me off like that in public so he got it too. Worked out he was English. Weirdos indeed but they think it’s weird to acknowledge a fellow foreigner that is standing next to you in a remote village corner shop. I’ve had that multiple times. 

I read a recent article on how an American posted an opinion on social media about Londoners being insular and rude. This was based on his observation that the morning commuters on the Tube don't acknowledge each other's presence. All heads down, on the phone or heads burried in papers, even when shoulder to shoulder.

Sounds like all they need our @Stevey to go give them some of his legendary what for.

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2023 at 5:04 PM, Stevey said:

Sounds like one day you'll do that to the wrong person and get something you don't want in return.

It amused me more than irritated me if other farangs studiously ignored me as we passed by each other. I made a point of looking at their face though, but said nothing. Such people are not worth words.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevey said:

I am not interested in making friends with everyone I catch a glance of, I made that mistake last year and the guy would call me up and talk utter rubbish for 3-4 hours at 9pm and couldn’t get him to end the call, a whole night of relaxing lost to a sociopath pensioner.

Soooooo, you couldn't claim that you were just going out, and couldn't talk, or is lying to a stranger not possible for you?

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sounds like one day you'll do that to the wrong person and get something you don't want in return.

It amused me more than irritated me if other farangs studiously ignored me as we passed by each other. I made a point of looking at their face though, but said nothing. Such people are not worth words.

Really now, this is silly. Who freakin cares? Just because someone is white they somehow deserve your attention? Is this type of differentiating between races so important? Good grief already, people are people no matter where they’re from. Or do you expect your proper response type from everyone you see? 

10 hours ago, Stevey said:

. What I’m getting in town is or sometimes the village is a pretty much 90% of every Falang I meet makes eye contact for a second then mulls it over in the noggin for another half a second then the internal network says to him “ look away !! “. Very strange. So that where having zero embarrassment comes in. Like I said to a guy at big C a few weeks ago. He turned around from the ATM at the entrance all 60years of him and looks straight in my eyes. His mouth opened very slightly as I’d to say Hello and then thought better of it and he looked away. The poor boy did not know what he had let himself in for ????. So he got the treatment that they all get if they dare to make eye contact and look away, even if they are with their family. In a voice like I’m talking slowly to a child I say “ Go on…. you were gonna say Hi weren’t you ? Are you shy ? At which point this 60year old says in his continental accent with his bleached hair stammering like Boris Johnson  “ Wwwwell I dddddont have to tttalk to you ! “ These boys are not men. How these lads are shy at 60 plus is a mystery. 

Seems like he made the right call ........................

• Like 1

I was once in a "bar" with a guy his first time in Thailand he said something about tattoos that was misinterpreted. Suddenly a lady is yelling "you get out" thus drawing the attention of some western lads perhaps in there already to possibly become aggressive,  so I suggested we book it . It was a misunderstanding could have happened to anyone. A  memory and a good laugh for sure

I don't invite anyone to Thailand or suggest it as a destination.  Just people I know show up and enjoy a little local insignt when shown around. I'm not playing tour guide at any bar-beer though these lust seekers can create their own adventures, as I did.

I sympathise with you. It doesn't sound like you knew him particulalrly well though or you'd have known about his fondness of the amber nectar and his oafish behaviour when under the influence. 

Unless this didn't really happen and the post is just an excuse to Brit bash?