Top 10 reasons to retire in Thailand in 2023

webfact

7 hours ago, mokwit said:

I was relaying my direct experience at the one and only Govt hospital I have used. I don't think I understand the need for your second comment about Governments and small amounts of falangs. What point were you trying to make?

He's gurning about something he has no influence over that supposedly is a threat to his chosen lifestyle. Loads of 'em on these hallowed pages.

20 hours ago, mokwit said:

Was 200k->400k->800k. Existing extensions were grandfathered. The recent requirement to keep Bt400k year 'round was not. This is a disturbing precedent, especially when Bt3m sees to be their new figure for LT stayer visas. A jump from 800k to 3m without grandfathering does seem too much of a jump, but who knows, they seem to be little concerned with the consequences of their actions.

Where have you heard this? I am curious as we have not heard anything about a possible 3m baht requirement

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VBF said:

However, the comments about health costs obviously apply to the US, but when one is from UK that changes dramatically.

As I'm nearing the age of 70 I realize that this situation isn't going to get better, so shall continue doing what Mike mentioned - 2 to 3 months a year in Thailand (the UK winter!) and rest of the time UK and short term travel to other places.

Actually the USA has something quite similar  to UK ..... in Medicare + Medicaid if you qualify. Which means you do not have savings or income above xxx amount. So yes USA can be expensive if you have the money but it is nice to know unlike Thailand a US citizen will always be cared for with or without the funds

My wife & I do the same as you though & spend 3 months a year in Thailand when the weather is best

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, mania said:

Where have you heard this? I am curious as we have not heard anything about a possible 3m baht requirement

Just from observing that recent long stay [2x5yr] visas/mooted visas have 3m as the amount required. My point is that this seems to be their new number, so if there was a change to 800k it is possible but maybe improbable that this would be the new amount.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Scaremongering... there has not really been any hint of this, beyond the falang gossip. Likely comes from the 3mil requirement stated for some of the newer real long term visas, LTR and O-X, I suspect.  

You are right, I was referencing the long term visas, but I don't feel I am scaremongering, I just feel that it is not impossible as they are ostensibly aiming for "quality" and Bt3m seems to be their new reference - albeit for 5 years.

Edited by mokwit
  • Confused 1

Just now, mokwit said:

You are right, I was referencing the long term visas, but I don't feel I am scaremongering, I just feel that it is not impossible as Bt3m seems to be their new reference - albeit for 5 years.

Nothing is impossible.... we could add an insurance obligation to retirement extensions too, for another bogeyman in the closet. After what, 20 years, inflation could justify it.  

On 4/18/2023 at 3:56 AM, Pique Dard said:

"Top 10 reasons to retire in Thailand in 2023"

no matter what, you'll still need dough in thailand

3 reasons not to retire in Thailand

the cost of living 

the cost of healthcare

the smog

• Like 2

#5 Affordable Housing.  The article states that "Foreigners are able to purchase property in Thailand, and there are a variety of options available including houses, townhouses, and condominiums making it a lucrative opportunity to retire in Thailand." 

This is very misleading as foreigners cannot just go out and buy a house as they would in their home country.  Yes, you can buy a house but there are a lot of additional requirements you will have to have taken care of to make yourself eligible to purchase that house.  

16 minutes ago, driver52 said:

CS??

Charging Stations when O&A (out & about), not charging at home.

Average about ฿8 per kWh, unless located in HiSo mall, but rarely over ฿10 per kWh.   Scam if charge by hour, IMO, as you really don't know how many kWh per hour that will be, I don't think.   TBH, never tried 'by the hour' chargers.

Apparently much cheaper than what the EV trolls post about the irrelevant UK cost for TH.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Average about ฿8 per kWh,

wow that is cheap! must admit never been convinced by an EV even though I have been looking for a car over here (they all seem to be overpriced garbage and/or boring auto).......how much did the thing cost in the first place though? (will tootle off to the EV thread lol)

3 hours ago, Hindy said:

3 reasons not to retire in Thailand

the cost of living 

the cost of healthcare

the smog

Disagree, except for the smog, if living Hua Hin or above.

Do agree, not much on the OP's list to motivate anyone to move to TH.  Nothing on the list is special, and the only thing I found accurate, after finally looking at, was cost of living, when labor is involved.   

But no different than any other 3rd world or developing country, I would think.   Long term visa is easy enough, but have nothing to compare it to, as never researched.

15 minutes ago, driver52 said:

wow that is cheap! must admit never been convinced by an EV even though I have been looking for a car over here (they all seem to be overpriced garbage and/or boring auto).......how much did the thing cost in the first place though? (will tootle off to the EV thread lol)

We have the MG ZS EV (฿949K), after owning the ICE version (฿695k) for 2 yrs, now ฿749k.   Love/d both of them.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1276247-ev-owners-…-real-life-experience-help-thread/

Did cost comparison on that thread, using 10 or 11 kpL.   Now would use 14kpL @ ฿37+ per L.   As we used E85, but no advantage to now, since price is almost the same as 91, which gets more kms per L.   E85 was 25+% cheaper, now as stated, almost same price.

If planning on spending ฿800k - 1 mill anyway, then you should peek at the MG EV line up.

If going for top end entry ICE (made in TH), then you'll be knocking on ฿800k anyway.   

Keep it for just the 8yr battery warranty and the savings over petrol & maintenance is considerable, along with added performance & comfort.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, driver52 said:

so is the climate agreeable south of Hua Hin? (currently in Bangkok but looking for somewhere else to 'hang out' lol)

Better, as we get 2-4 months of bad smog, and that's actually 80-110 AQI, so much better in amount and length of time to deal with.

Not a whole lot of rice, corn or sugar farming, so a lot less burning.  Plus less people overall.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

We have the MG ZS EV (฿949K)

that strikes me as a bloody fortune when you can get a new MG 5 (which is a good looking car IMO and will drive a lot better than an SUV) for ฿585k

at how many miles will the EV actually be cheaper than the MG 5? quite a lot I would have thought as the price difference is £8500 worth of petrol to begin with!!! (for the UK punters, dunno if you're a Brit lol)

On 4/17/2023 at 11:45 PM, ezzra said:

I could of 10 reasons why NOT to retire in Thailand but i won't go into it now, Thailand is not what it used to be 10-20 years ago easy pizzy place to live, enjoy and have fun, now it's all about the money and rules and more rules, none of which to make life easier.

Thailand is one of the most easiest country to relocate to if you are above 50, if do not compare to  relocate inside EU and are an EU citizen from before. 

For an American? Still need to have founds to relocate to Bahamas, Panama etc

2 hours ago, driver52 said:

hi bill, how easy is it to get a 6 month visa? looked on their website and it only mentions the 30 day one....

Hello Driver52, 

To save a lot of waffle from me, this informative website has all the details you require:

https://movetocambodia.com/planning-your-move-to-cambodia/cambodia-visas/

Please note, on your first entry to Cambodia whether by air or land, get an ORDINARY VISA ON ENTRY. If you have an ON-LINE E or TOURIST visa, they cannot be extended as "long stay" visa. You tick the "ordinary visa" box on the application form. Once you have your ordinary visa, this can be extended to suit your requirements at any official agent (most travel shops). You do not deal with immigration itself. You may be asked to show your registration on Cambodia's FPCS (Foreigners Present in Cambodia System).The onus for registration is your landlord, hotel manager, house owner etc. NOT YOU. This is essential for a one year Retirement Visa. Take a copy of your passport before dealing with an agent as your passport is sent to the main Immigration Office in Phnom Penh and returned after 10 days with your visa.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/18/2023 at 8:04 AM, dinsdale said:

Not sure don't live there but it sure seems that going to the ATM to withdraw some of that retirement money is a danger to your health. Chiang Mai beautiful setting which can now be seen for 6 months of the year. Don't forget to pack one of these.

image.jpeg.320562ae373f48847dfa361e3ee63bba.jpeg

Dangerous air not only in Chiang Mai, but all of Thailand north of Hua Hin. Only the south of Thailand can offer clean air.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnNThai said:

Dangerous air not only in Chiang Mai, but all of Thailand north of Hua Hin. Only the south of Thailand can offer clean air.

I don't know about that.  Today in Phuket on one website it said that the air quality was 135.  Another had it right now as 72 which is moderate.

https://www.iqair.com/us/thailand/phuket  

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I don't know about that.  Today in Phuket on one website it said that the air quality was 135.  Another had it right now as 72 which is moderate.

https://www.iqair.com/us/thailand/phuket  

Correct, this year it has reached the south as well. But past data shows a significant lower average air pollution in the south compared to the rest of the country.