Climate-sceptic accounts surge after Elon Musk’s Twitter takeover

onthedarkside

15 hours ago, Cory1848 said:

Right, it’s all about unnamed, all-powerful cabals “controlling” unnamed victims, for vague purposes (although fossil fuels are still pretty profitable, so I’d look there first). I can’t do better than quote from Alan Moore, English graphic novelist and self-professed anarchist: “The main thing that I learned about conspiracy theories is that conspiracy theorists actually believe in the conspiracy because that is more comforting. The truth of the world is that it is chaotic. The truth is, that it is not the Jewish banking conspiracy, or the grey aliens, or the twelve-foot reptiloids from another dimension that are in control, the truth is far more frightening; no-one is in control, the world is rudderless.”

The world may be rudderless ( though Gaia may yet prove to be in charge ) but IMO there are certain people in positions of power that are doing their best to be the ones in charge, and not for the benefit of the ones they seek to control.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The world may be rudderless ( though Gaia may yet prove to be in charge ) but IMO there are certain people in positions of power that are doing their best to be the ones in charge, and not for the benefit of the ones they seek to control.

I think you’ve just demonstrated the truth of Cory1848’s argument.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and do you think that those "younger people" actually know what to do to reverse the climate trend that is affordable, acceptable and effective?

Other than money making schemes for the already rich, I see nothing of much use. I gather that the CO2 already in the atmosphere will not be going anywhere soon, and at the rate of forest destruction is likely to be around even longer. Sooo, what is the plan to eliminate the CO2 already in the atmosphere, and is it even possible?

Would we not be better off using the money presently spent on junkets for the climate change mob to have holidays in 5 star resorts on practical schemes to stop the oceans being polluted beyond recovery, and build defenses against storms?

The last major climate conference was held in exotic and glamorous... wait for it... Glasgow.

IMO the reason why you and others invoke such things as how the rich and powerful live rather than focus on the science and the actual numerical figures is because it excuses your lack of actual knowledge. Instead of writing IMO you should write instead IMUO. Which stands for "in my uninformed opinion".

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/20/2023 at 8:13 AM, Cory1848 said:

Wow. Just wow. All three of the speculative “world controllers” that Moore lists are equally absurd, as Moore intended his quotation to be read, even if one of them consists of human beings. But when you plainly state your belief that this particular group of humans are in fact the “real controllers of the world,” well, you’re a big part of the problem, aren't you, and as a human being myself I feel a responsibility to call this kind of hate speech out wherever I encounter it.

Truth sounds like hate to those who hate truth.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

Truth sounds like hate to those who hate truth.

And hate sounds like hate to those who hate hate.

The difference between you and me is that I know that my statement has no evidentiary or analytic value. And self respect would keep me from offering such a comment seriously.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/19/2023 at 12:25 PM, BangkokHank said:

Very clever how he put the real controllers of the world first, then listed two absolutely ridiculous ones after that - to imply that all three are equally silly conspiracy theories.

I thought you might be joking about the "Jewish banking conspiracy".  Were you serious?

6 hours ago, heybruce said:

I thought you might be joking about the "Jewish banking conspiracy".  Were you serious?

Incredible, even after two thousand years, how shallow this kind of rot lies just below the surface. We are a sick species.

• Like 1