Are there any 'normal' farangs living in Thailand?

bob smith

43 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

And its obvious to all but the most obtuse that there was a typo and he really meant ‘riff-raff’.....

It’s often highly entertaining the extent of arguments surrounding some pathetic nit-picking.

Absolutely!

The moment I read it, I realised it was a typo.

Anyway, I think we all can make a spelling mistake at one time or another (even with the spell check LOL)

On 4/20/2023 at 4:58 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Do tell how to do that.

I had "friends" that stole from me, exploited me, used me.

I married the woman that was supposed to look after me; that didn't work out very well!

In my life , why do I give valuable time, to people who don't care if I live or die 

Came to Asia working Indonesia/Malaysian waters Oil&Gas in 2004.

Decided to work the UK tax system so spent majority of leave in Thailand, bought land via a company and built a house in 2010, 2015 aged 60 retired with my bigish bikes, started to do dog rescue, tried to grow different fruits in my garden and breed Koi.  2017 married a Korat girl who left the City to be with me.

Exchange rates and Covid resulted in me being the only Farang left for many, many miles.

Now 68, love heading to Chaiyaphum or Korat on my bikes at speeds way too high for commonsense.  Amongst our dogs are 6 German Shepherds, 2 of those were rescue, we had blind, brain damaged from road accidents we take care off.

Whenever old friends drive from Pattaya to my corrugated roof blockhouse they are the ones shot away after 2 nights, the village all shutdown by 8.00pm is alien.

I am as happy as a sand boy, enjoying my twilight years amongst big, 4 legged mutts, no visitors just my Thai family.

Who are these strange folk

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bignok said:

Women, climate, food. Change. Why would a person want to live in 1 country their whole life anyway?

In my 50 year working life I lived and worked in 38 countries, and I was paid to go there.

Why stay in one country all your life?

13 minutes ago, tmd5855 said:

Came to Asia working Indonesia/Malaysian waters Oil&Gas in 2004.

Decided to work the UK tax system so spent majority of leave in Thailand, bought land via a company and built a house in 2010, 2015 aged 60 retired with my bigish bikes, started to do dog rescue, tried to grow different fruits in my garden and breed Koi.  2017 married a Korat girl who left the City to be with me.

Exchange rates and Covid resulted in me being the only Farang left for many, many miles.

Now 68, love heading to Chaiyaphum or Korat on my bikes at speeds way too high for commonsense.  Amongst our dogs are 6 German Shepherds, 2 of those were rescue, we had blind, brain damaged from road accidents we take care off.

Whenever old friends drive from Pattaya to my corrugated roof blockhouse they are the ones shot away after 2 nights, the village all shutdown by 8.00pm is alien.

I am as happy as a sand boy, enjoying my twilight years amongst big, 4 legged mutts, no visitors just my Thai family.

Who are these strange folk

where did you live ? Frequently ride in the area and also visit Khao Yai. Nice area to ride bike Korat and Chaiyaphum, as well Loei as my Neighboorhood.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

where did you live ? Frequently ride in the area and also visit Khao Yai. Nice area to ride bike Korat and Chaiyaphum, as well Loei as my Neighboorhood.  

Im going to Loei next month. Phu  Ruea then might swing past Phetchabun. Phu Hin Rong Kla National Park I was told is good.

Edited by bignok

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Why stay in one country all your life?

Guess it would depend on the country, how large & diverse, or not so.

Coming from USA, I think TH is extremely small.  If from the UK, I guess it would be large.  With more than a few states larger then the UK, and a couple larger than TH.

You can literally drive the whole length of the country in almost 1 day (28 hrs), and it's a long country.  Doesn't even get you half way across the USA, and just E coast (Philly) to San Fran (W coast)

Get your point though, and kind of wish I realized how easy, and possibly better pay for working overseas.   After 45yr in USA, was getting a bit board of it, even though moving around a bit for work, and travelling for holidays.

And still didn't see a lot of it or Canada, another large country.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, bignok said:

Women, climate, food. Change. Why would a person want to live in 1 country their whole life anyway?

It depends on what you got left in your home country that would hold you back of obvious reasons. If I had kids and grand children back home, I do not think I would have left, even I do spend quite a bit of time in my orign country still, I would have prioritized them, and made sure I would have been useful to them. 

I do believe most come here because of health issues, and the climate give them a better quality life.  

On 4/21/2023 at 9:53 AM, bignok said:

No women like those in Thailand, for a start.

I visited Cyprus once and a taste of their "nightlife" put me off going there for that again. LOS is the cheese when it comes to that sort of thing.

At the end of the day there is not that much to do in Thailand except booze and womanizing. The climate is so hot it takes the fun out of many outdoor activities (even if northern climates are usually bad in other ways during the cold winter season). Work opportunities and cultural offering are limited and it is hard to make a deep connection with the local population due to cultural differences and their mistrust in foreigners so it doesn't attract high quality people that much. Also many low class people consider Thailand as a free-for-all and anything type of place.

Edited by rabang
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/19/2023 at 11:47 AM, bignok said:

Ok fair enough. Hard to plan 30 or 40 years ahead though. I plan 3 months ahead.

I hardly plan further than the next week. Planning 30 or 40 years in advance sounds like fantasizing to me.

14 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

To me, that's a strange expression.  You must not be normal.  ????????

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not strange to me. I've used that all my life.

I had never heard the phrase used in N. America.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Guess it would depend on the country, how large & diverse, or not so.

Coming from USA, I think TH is extremely small.  If from the UK, I guess it would be large.  With more than a few states larger then the UK, and a couple larger than TH.

You can literally drive the whole length of the country in almost 1 day (28 hrs), and it's a long country.  Doesn't even get you half way across the USA, and just E coast (Philly) to San Fran (W coast)

Get your point though, and kind of wish I realized how easy, and possibly better pay for working overseas.   After 45yr in USA, was getting a bit board of it, even though moving around a bit for work, and travelling for holidays.

And still didn't see a lot of it or Canada, another large country.

I think you are missing the point, as many of your countrymen do, that there is no rule to stop you visiting other countries, no matter where you live. Hence the size of the UK never bothered me because I had the whole of Europe on my doorstep. At any time, I could quickly and easily experience a greater amount of cultural and geographical diversity than if I were to live in the USA or another large country. The same goes for Thailand. Just because you live in one country doesn't mean you have to stay there all the time. That's why most people have passports in developed nations outside of America. It's very hard for Europeans to understand how two-thirds of a country's population could be so unadventurous as to not even hold a valid passport but it does explain the strange world views that so many Americans appear to have.

Edited by Mark1066
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

I think you are missing the point, as many of your countrymen do, that there is no rule to stop you visiting other countries, no matter where you live. Hence the size of the UK never bothered me because I had the whole of Europe on my doorstep. At any time, I could quickly and easily experience a greater amount of cultural and geographical diversity than if I were to live in the USA or another large country. The same goes for Thailand. Just because you live in one country doesn't mean you have to stay there all the time. That's why most people have passports in developed nations outside of America. It's very hard for Europeans to understand how two-thirds of a country's population could be so unadventurous as to not even hold a valid passport but it does explain the strange world views that so many Americans appear to have.

No, I didn't, but you did miss my point.   The USA alone & Americas are large enough & diverse enough, there is no need to leave to be 'adventurous'.

You did state stay in 'one' country

USA is just a wee bit smaller than Europe.

United States ... 9.834 million km²

Europe ...............,,10.53 million km²

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

No, I didn't, but you did miss my point.   The USA alone & Americas are large enough & diverse enough, there is no need to leave to be 'adventurous'.

Yes but to stay in one country does not mean you cannot visit others. The fact you can't grasp this simple concept is merely reinforcing the fact that you have indeed completely missed my point. And you can spend as much time as you like driving from one side of your massive country to the other. All you are going to encounter is the same people, talking the same language and enjoying roughly the same culture. If that's diversity to you, it explains a lot about Americans.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Surely you would agree that the difference between Germany and Montenegro is a lot more than Alabama to Kansas though they are a similar distance apart. Dont even talk about Australia where Perth to Melbourne is double the distance but people are pretty much the same

• Like 2

I am not American but I understand that it is expensive and time consuming to travel abroad from the US, especially if you don't live in the southern states. In the north there is Canada but that's it.

A valid comparison for Europeans would be to ask if they have travelled outside of Europe.

Edited by rabang

On 4/22/2023 at 10:04 AM, rabang said:

At the end of the day there is not that much to do in Thailand except booze and womanizing. The climate is so hot it takes the fun out of many outdoor activities (even if northern climates are usually bad in other ways during the cold winter season). Work opportunities and cultural offering are limited and it is hard to make a deep connection with the local population due to cultural differences and their mistrust in foreigners so it doesn't attract high quality people that much. Also many low class people consider Thailand as a free-for-all and anything type of place.

Lots to do

Train rides

Caving

Motorbiking

Bike riding

Kayaking

Diving

Mountain hikes

Temples galore

Golf

Fishing

The weather is great apart from the smoke season up north

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/18/2023 at 2:34 PM, Hummin said:

You are one of the more exentric posters here Gamma, way above all of us

Square Hole; Round Peg?

Good old Peggotty, do you remember her?

In days gone by, people were permitted to be eccentric.

Many decades ago, people enjoyed and glorified the Dickensian characters they met on the street. 

Now, nobody tolerates a fool.

I grew up immersed in books that I loved.

These characters were my friends.

Life, for me, was just too boring.

Here I am, for example, with my nursemaid Peggotty; And what a kind person was she.

I would never speak anything but the highest of praises for her kindness and selflessness toward everyone she met.

image.jpeg.199e4767a053b2f12f96bcdb8f57ac37.jpeg

Most people here do not understand me.

And, this misunderstanding sometimes breeds contempt.

I understand this and easily accept this without reciprocating anything but good will towards all.

I am sure that if more people had read books, like me, when they were young, everybody might now be benefitting from such a novel pastime.

I am full of puns today, it seems.

Good day!

Regards,

Gamma 

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Square Hole; Round Peg?

Good old Peggotty, do you remember her?

In days gone by, people were permitted to be eccentric.

Many decades ago, people enjoyed and glorified the Dickensian characters they met on the street. 

Now, nobody tolerates a fool.

I grew up immersed in books that I loved.

These characters were my friends.

Life, for me, was just too boring.

Here I am, for example, with my nursemaid Peggotty; And what a kind person was she.

I would never speak anything but the highest of praises for her kindness and selflessness toward everyone she met.

image.jpeg.199e4767a053b2f12f96bcdb8f57ac37.jpeg

Most people here do not understand me.

And, this misunderstanding sometimes breeds contempt.

I understand this and easily accept this without reciprocating anything but good will towards all.

I am sure that if more people had read books, like me, when they were young, everybody might now be benefitting from such a novel pastime.

I am full of puns today, it seems.

Good day!

Regards,

Gamma 

Being kind of exentric myself, It was hard do realize people did not see what I did see, and feel the same way I felt, music, words, politics, religion,  but by time and alot of thinking adjusting and adopting to society, I could see how others where and thinking compared to me. I do have those superior thoughts sometimes, but I can not cultivate them without going over the edge ????

I understand you