Finnish man accused by neighbours of insulting Thai people

snoop1130

27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

All explained in the full OP.

22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Read the link, then!

There is more than likely more to this than the story in the Op/Link. That is what posters on here are suggesting.

Probably been brewing for a long time. The wife of the injured man likely more involved too.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 2

In general, Thai people don't like what perceived by them as a loud attitude/behaviour and or staring at them in a confrontational manner, there were times back than when foreigners were sort of revered and respected, no longer and not anymore, now most foreigners are looked at as just some people that they have to put up with, sign of time it is. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

In general, Thai people don't like what perceived by them as a loud attitude/behaviour and or staring at them in a confrontational manner, there were times back than when foreigners were sort of revered and respected, no longer and not anymore, now most foreigners are looked at as just some people that they have to put up with, sign of time it is. 

been that way for a long time, as long as you empty your wallet often they will tolerate you - they expect foreigners to spend and even pay extra for things, best policy is I have found is make sure you are clear about the price of something before making a purchace especilly in establishments that don't have it displayed - they will make it up on the fly

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, pomchop said:

So how many on here immediately blamed the Thai without being bothered to read the complete story in the OP link? 

It would certainly appear that this wasn't the Fin first encounter with this shop owner in a negative way....coming back and demanding cheaper beer price and then telling her F you etc is generally not going to end well for anyone. 

It's not rocket science whether in Thailand or anywhere else that if you repeatedly insult a shop owner that sooner or later somebody is gonna kick your butt....he was lucky he wasn't in USA or they would most likely  have shot him.

I agree. There is no reason not be polite in such situations. He could shop somewhere else. 

9 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Could it be that Jarae was being rude and abusive to the shop owner and the shop owner hit him ?

Yes, exactly.

There are some people who find a beating no matter where they go.

Jarae might just be one of those people.

Farang flings an insult, and they fly off the handle.

Pity they can't use some of that energy for when their children and grandchildren insult them by being disobedient, lazy oafs, and of course, when their govt insults them every day.

Oh, I too had to do a Songkran beer run. As I had bought the first case of Leo, which of course soon ran out, father-in-law's visiting sis produced a crispy 1000 from her purse, talked to one of the kids, and another case soon appeared. Amazing Thailand!

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dcheech said:

I recall a German being bottled to death by some friendly locals he was drinking with for "insulting Thailand". No proof or statements about what he said or did, just the word of the killers. According to westerners in the area, no fines or jail time was given for this 'patriotic' act of violence.

That is what they do in your country too? A primitive, violent land of lager louts ready to bottle.

Yes, in my Country, you can get killed for looking at someone the wrong way or looking at them for too long 

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The neighbours admitted to attacking the foreign man but insisted that they did so because he insulted (...) the Thai people first.

A Thai recently said he didn't like my country. Should I have beaten him up? (After all, I'd like to fit in...)

Shows again how the small ruling class, through indoctrination and lack of education keeps people's minds in the early 20th century and well before.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If you believe the Thai shopkeeper. Obviously no Thai would ever lie to try and keep out of jail. 

5~10 years in jail for each member of the gang would seem appropriate IMHO. 

So he got beat up for nothing by a shopkeeper? Is this your theory?

16 minutes ago, gerritkaew said:

Thais are not nice anymore. 
im living here and everywhere I look I see violence against farang, thefts and more. Thailand is a dangerous country for tourist and expat’s to live those days. 
every Thai want a bit off you, your money is not safe here, same your life…

Nobody has ever tried to punch me. 

• Thanks 1