Finnish man accused by neighbours of insulting Thai people

snoop1130

13 minutes ago, Thungrat said:

They might have been drunk. Don´t mess up with drunk thai people.

They get quite giddy and excited during Songkran play... frequently along with alcohol consumption. Who knows the details, older farangs get grumpy and don't want to play, Finns have a bit of a reputation of drinking,, but mostly it sounds like the lady struck him with a weapon first and it is a case of assault.

A Songkran fight between rival Thai youth gangs in Pattaya once taught me it isn't all fun and play and can get sinister!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pomchop said:

wow you sure seem to know a lot about exactly what happened

It's says in the article that she hit him with wood and then called on others to "finnish" him. ????

What "wood" you you call that? ????

(I'm on a roll this morning, hehe)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Violence maybe be wrong , but people need to realise if they start for vociferously abuse people , when alcohol has been consumed and you are in the Countryside and you cannot speak the same language , the people that you abuse are quite likely to resort to violence

why are you so sure the finnish man abused the locals?

is it not possible that the thais were just drunk and looking to start a bit of trouble?

Edited by bogs smith
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

SUB-conscious mind.

Repressed in normal waking life.

Alcohol doesn't release your subconscious mind.  It changes the way you think.  It isn't your true self being shown as it literally makes you do things you otherwise would not do.

Even if it did allow your subconscious to rule your brain, it wouldn't be your "true self" popping out, as your conscious mind is part of who you are.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bogs smith said:

why are you so sure the finnish man abused the locals?

is it not possible that the thais were just drunk and looking to start a bit of trouble?

The Thai apology is strong in this one.

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

You might think that this is a common here, but amongst the Farangs who have taken to life in the small towns and villages, it most certainly is not! We live in peace and harmony with our hosts are almost always assimilate well.

We've already had a clear indication of the type of 'Farang' that you encounter from your earlier, rather obnoxious post referenced below. It strikes me that you have no idea what life is really like for Farangs living here.

dont take it to heart moonlover.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

You might think that this is a common here, but amongst the Farangs who have taken to life in the small towns and villages, it most certainly is not! We live in peace and harmony with our hosts are almost always assimilate well.

I'm a little curious.  Have you ever witnessed an argument between a Thai and a foreigner where other Thais take the foreigner's side

• Like 1

Just now, BangkokReady said:

I'm a little curious.  Have you ever witnessed an argument between a Thai and a foreigner where other Thais take the foreigner's side

That would never happen, not in a million years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, JoeW said:

If you read the whole article, you kind of understand why this happened. Same would happen in the US, in Europe or in any other Asian country.

When it states the police gathering evidence, the first thing they would have done is check the guy's visa. as that puts an end to the case. But arguing over B10???????????? Saw a Farang the other week asking Thai people for 4 Bhat because he was B4 short for a beer at 7/11. I gave him the B4. 

• Love It 1

10 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I think its absolutely common for people to be beaten to death in Thai villages over nothing. Multiple reported cases every week, mainly Thai victims as they are the majority. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

There's definitely more to it.  The number of people they splash with water who want nothing to do with it has to indicate something.  Especially the water directly to the face of motorcyclists just going about their day.

Obviously people tolerate it, and it's presented as fun, but they are assaulting people and get some pleasure from that, which isn't normal.

Yes, but many falangs participate in that as well and I've always found that its the felangs that go way to far in attacking people with water , Thais will mostly respectfully refrain  from attacking people who put their hands up , its usually the fealangs who continue the attack

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, pomchop said:

So how many on here immediately blamed the Thai without being bothered to read the complete story in the OP link? 

It would certainly appear that this wasn't the Fin first encounter with this shop owner in a negative way

There are many unstable cretins living in the anals of Thailand, nursing the bottle and being bored. Depressing people and often with foul mouth. 

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think its absolutely common for people to be beaten to death in Thai villages over nothing. Multiple reported cases every week, mainly Thai victims as they are the majority. 

Where the heck are you living? 

We have been here 17 years and lived in 3 different rural villages in CM.  Never been anyone beaten up by an angry mob in any of them! 

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

It strikes me that you have no idea what life is really like for Farangs living here.

You do realize everyone has a different experience here, right?

I've had friends whose GF would take his ATM card without asking and go around withdrawing money as she pleased.

I've known farang here to be treated much worse than that too. Terrible treatment in the workplace, casual racism, and so on...

Hell, just last night I saw a south Asian person walking down the street minding his own business when a street walker offered her wares to him and he politely refused. To which, she replied, "Poor country, smelly people, I don't like" while wafting her air from her nose.

It reminded me of when I invited my EX wife to go for an Indian meal (which I knew she'd never tried before). Her response, "Indian people smell. I don't like"

And when you consider, this is just the tip of the iceberg, the mind boggles as to what else is submerged.

I don't think you can assume every farang's experience living here.

Edited by 2009
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Where the heck are you living? 

We have been here 17 years and lived in 3 different rural villages in CM.  Never been anyone beaten to swather by an angry mob in any of them! 

I lived up country.

It's actually a common occurrence when you have those big village parties where all come to gather to watch the dancing girls on the stage.

27 minutes ago, 2009 said:

That would never happen, not in a million years.

I don't think so either, but I wondered if someone who knew of how well some foreigners assimilate into Thai culture had witnessed such a thing. 

We've all seen many, many stories of Thais jumping on foreigners to defend/assist a fellow Thai, even where the Thai is the guilty party.  Surely if some foreigners are able to assimilate so successfully, there must be some examples of Thais siding with foreigners.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Aoy said Oh abruptly struck her husband with a wooden stick and then requested others at the gathering to join in on the attack.

Absolutely everyone here seems to need a backup of many when it comes to violence, even a simple shopkeeper. I'm sure she'll say it was all a misunderstanding and a wai will follow. Meanwhile, the Finn will be questioning what he read about Thailand being the Land of Smiles.

14 hours ago, JoeW said:

If you read the whole article, you kind of understand why this happened. Same would happen in the US, in Europe or in any other Asian country.

No, actually I don't think the same would happen in Europe or in *any* other Asian country. People would frown at the crazy guy but resorting to violence for insults isn't the norm in every country yet, thank Buddha.

In the US, it would depend on where & the circumstances & the reactions range from a frown to a bullet in the head.

Curiously though, you did leave out all those places where they don't take to national insults kindly. ????????‍♂️

Since both accounts differ so wildly, it's hard to say what really happened here. It's doesn't sound though that SE Asia is the right place for "the man in black".

12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

All explained in the full OP.

Not really. I read it. It does not explain much. There is some background here that is not being touched upon. That is for sure. Groups of Thais just don't attack random people. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I don't think so either, but I wondered if someone who knew of how well some foreigners assimilate into Thai culture had witnessed such a thing. 

We've all seen many, many stories of Thais jumping on foreigners to defend/assist a fellow Thai, even where the Thai is the guilty party.  Surely if some foreigners are able to assimilate so successfully, there must be some examples of Thais siding with foreigners.

I don't think we can assimilate; we will always be foreigners to the locals.

Doesn't matter if you are their teacher, husband, boss, neighbor, a monk etc. etc.

I don't think it even matters if you aquire Thai citizenship.

Even mixed race Thais are not viewed as actual Thais by most of the population.

Edited by 2009

24 minutes ago, 2009 said:

You do realize everyone has a different experience here, right?

I've had friends whose GF would take his ATM card without asking and go around withdrawing money as she pleased.

I've known farang here to be treated much worse than that too. Terrible treatment in the workplace, casual racism, and so on...

Hell, just last night I saw a south Asian person walking down the street minding his own business when a street walker offered her wares to him and he politely refused. To which, she replied, "Poor country, smelly people, I don't like" while wafting her air from her nose.

It reminded me of when I invited my EX wife to go for an Indian meal (which I knew she'd never tried before). Her response, "Indian people smell. I don't like"

And when you consider, this is just the tip of the iceberg, the mind boggles as to what else is submerged.

I don't think you can assume every farang's experience living here.

There is plenty of ignorance, intolerance, racism and unjustified nationalism all over the world. It is not exclusive to Thailand. It is a difficult burden to bear, living such an insular and ignorant life. But, that does not really address what happened to the Finn. Something more was happening there. It was not a random attack. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, save the frogs said:

>> Jarae had a history of getting out of control when he was drunk

i love alcohol.

it brings out people's true nature!

Alcohol the nice accepted drug.. give me cannabis any day no agression

11 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

It literally changes how you behave, a way that you would not behave if you had not consumed the alcohol.

How could that possibly be your true nature?

It lowers inhibitions so it shows how someone truly is. Most of dont change to much. Some just are good to hide the ... they are and lose it when they drink