It's Hot (What if Global Warming is Here?)

Danderman123

3 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

So we're like 0.3c hotter than it was in the year 1000? So what. If that trends continues maybe in 400 years they'll be worried but human population is collapsing right now in the industrial world making any trends unstable.

shh .... never let the facts get in the way of a good spin ????

31 minutes ago, onthedarkside said:

You're obviously not seeing the significance of this are you. Earth has not warmed this quickly for thousands of years and just by coincidence it started at the industrial revolution. 

image.png.98f6970f352ece4ae4e578694ad5d981.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature_record_of_the_last_2,000_years

and leveled off a bit .... so lets see what the next 5-10 yrs does.

Must be all those EVs ... at least the ground level air smells better, when ridng scooter behind an EV.

54 minutes ago, onthedarkside said:

You're obviously not seeing the significance of this are you. Earth has not warmed this quickly for thousands of years and just by coincidence it started at the industrial revolution. 

image.png.98f6970f352ece4ae4e578694ad5d981.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature_record_of_the_last_2,000_years

Don't think there's any accurate way of knowing the temperatures before 1950.

So all the numbers are estimates of some kind, and I'm guessing the margin of error is at least 2c.

The satellite readings post 1979 are questionable as they've changed the satellite measuring equipment 3x since then.

Even a guy measuring outside his house for the past 60 years would have problems making such small measurement variations as his neighbour concreting over the front garden to park his car would probably increase the average readings by 1c.

Part of science is to take readings using the same equipment.

Don't think that was possible from year 0 to year 2020.

Putting all the different readings, using all the different sources, into one graph is just bad science.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Would you be kind enough to explain how the first law can be a consequence of the second law ¯\_()_/¯

In layman's terms, all forms of energy are capable of conversion from one form to another. A fossil fuel can be converted to electrical energy via a turbine in a power station, or kinetic energy in a car. That's the first law.

The second law states heat cannot flow from a colder to a hotter body without work. The oceans warm in response to solar radiation trapped by greenhouse gases and re-radiated as heat.

Any meteorologist will tell you warmer water leads to more violent hurricanes/typhoons/cyclones.

Tropical cyclone Ilsa is a case in point. Cyclones etc. need a water temperature of 26 C to form. The water temperature for Ilsa was 31.5 C. Ilsa broke records for sustained wind speed, i.e. kinetic energy.

One could argue the First Law preceded the Second Law when solar radiation was converted to heat, quite correct. It depends where one wants to start in the cause-effect chain.

4 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

We find the trick is to run the unit on dehumidify during the evening for a few hours and then switch it off before going to sleep. There's nothing in the late evening to cause heat build up or increased humidity. It works for us.

What brand of air conditioner does not have a temp setting? That sounds suspect to me. The only modes I have ever seen that does not have a temp setting are fan and off. 

3 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

My remote has 3 settings - Cooling showing temperature numbers; the teardrop/raindrop you mentioned - thank you; and a third which is a black pyramid icon and the view screen shows a thermometer and a happy face icon.

Do you know what the 3rd setting is?

Is the pyramid perhaps an A? That would be automatic. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

You want us to get all worked up for 0.8c? Once you stop believing everything these people say (the science™️) it sounds like a joke. 

Clearly, you don't understand the ramifications of a global temperature increase of a degree, let alone 2 or 3.

It reminds me of a dinosaur commenting that a meteor only 5 km wide is not that big a deal.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

So we're like 0.3c hotter than it was in the year 1000? So what. If that trends continues maybe in 400 years they'll be worried but human population is collapsing right now in the industrial world making any trends unstable.

Perhaps you can't imagine what will happen if the rivers flowing out of the Tibetan plateau dry up.

You might consider that scientists who study this are alarmed.

• Thumbs Up 1

In or about the year 1000, there were Vikings living in Greenland. The temperature dropped a fraction of a degrees globally, what do you think happened to those Vikings?

Exactly. I grew up in Boulder Colorado so I know these people well. Riding around in their fancy electric car while complaining about the stupid rubes who won't believe The Science™️.

So you culturally are disinclined to listen to scientists.

That doesn't help your argument. 

Edited by Danderman123

4 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

So you culturally are disinclined to listen to scientists.

That doesn't help your argument. 

Those people have been moaning about sea levels rising for 30 years while they sit at 5000 feet above sea level. They're lovely people but also virtue signaling liars so I'm done engaging with their panics.

• Like 1

Just now, Danderman123 said:

There are a million dead Americans who would tell you to be afraid of Covid, except they are dead.

What was the average age of death for COVID again? You don't get to live into your 80s and expect to survive every virus. 

Just now, NorthernRyland said:

It's so easy to just move to high ground to avoid oceans rising. Move away from areas that are drying up. 

No need, my childhood home on Shoreham Beach is still on the beach 60 years later, and I predict it will still be there in another 60 years. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NorthernRyland said:

Those people have been moaning about sea levels rising for 30 years while they sit at 5000 feet above sea level. They're lovely people but also virtue signaling liars so I'm done engaging with their panics.

Nope.

The scientists are not lying. 

You just are capable of ignoring facts.

There was someone here who recently posted that Global Warming is real, but how big a problem is it? That is a reasonable question to ask. But, simply asserting that scientists are lying is childish.

2 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

What was the average age of death for COVID again? You don't get to live into your 80s and expect to survive every virus. 

you do realize that half the people who died from Covid were under the average age.

I suspect that your position boils down to "I didn't die, so Covid is a hoax".

4 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Nope.

The scientists are not lying. 

You just are capable of ignoring facts.

People make mistakes. They're using predictive models which are constrained by known variables.

Nothing happened in 30 years and I'm not going to wait until 30 years. Put up or shut up already. 

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No need, my childhood home on Shoreham Beach is still on the beach 60 years later, and I predict it will still be there in another 60 years. 

The crisis is in MAYBE 60 years your beach house will have 1mm of water over the drive way. That's what they want us to go crazy over.

1 minute ago, NorthernRyland said:

People make mistakes. They're using predictive models which are constrained by known variables.

Nothing happened in 30 years and I'm not going to wait until 30 years. Put up or shut up already. 

I got it.

You know more than the scientists.

So, why are the glaciers melting? 

3 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

The crisis is in MAYBE 60 years your beach house will have 1mm of water over the drive way. That's what they want us to go crazy over.

You don't seem to understand the ramifications of sea level rise.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/hazards/sealevelrise/sealevelrise-tech-report.html

Ignorance is bliss, huh?

Edited by Danderman123

28 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Perhaps you can't imagine what will happen if the rivers flowing out of the Tibetan plateau dry up.

You might consider that scientists who study this are alarmed.

You might also consider that the scientist who wants to study the reduced flow in Tibetanian rivers get funding, while the poor guy who wants to study the benefits of hydrocarbon production, gets nothing.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It hasn't happened yet, and all the big boys are spending millions on beachfront estates. 

Ignorance is bliss, eh? BTW, the Big Boys are old guys who don't worry about investment dollars 20 years down the road.

https://news.miami.edu/rosenstiel/stories/2021/10/miamis-ocean-scientists-have-been-documenting-sea-level-rise-for-decades-now-they-urge-action-to-save-our-city.html

https://www.foxweather.com/extreme-weather/climate-change-sea-level-rise-miami-beaches-spring-break