Prime Minister faces questions about energy costs

webfact

image.jpeg

PHOTO: Unsplash

by Mitch Connor

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has announced that the government is intensifying its efforts to discover new sources of alternative energy in response to complaints about rising electricity bills during the summer months.

His statement comes in reaction to social media outrage and calls for the government to take further steps to reduce people’s energy expenses.

“It is crucial to examine why bills are increasing. The issue is complex, involving production costs and management. We will explore potential actions. Rest assured, I will personally oversee the matter,” the Prime Minister stated.

He added that electricity rates are connected to long-standing business operations and contractual commitments. “However, the government will endeavour to ensure no one is disadvantaged,” Gen Prayut said.

He further stated that the government has been attempting to identify and promote more affordable energy sources, such as renewable energy, and encourage local communities and households to utilise solar cells to capture sunlight and convert it into electricity.

“We should also consider the energy prices and petrol prices in other nations. But we shouldn’t compare ours with countries that possess their energy sources.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/economy/prime-minister-faces-questions-about-energy-costs

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-04-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 2

Like fuel subsidies, why not subsidize energy usage. Is it really costing more to generate the energy distributed around Thailand?

54 minutes ago, webfact said:

We should also consider the energy prices and petrol prices in other nations. But we shouldn’t compare ours with countries that possess their energy sources.

So Thailand does not produce its own fuel from the oil fields leased out to folks like PTT and so on?

Kind of confused.

Where does gas come from in Thailand?

Most of Thailand's crude oil and condensates are from offshore fields in the Gulf of Thailand.

Does Thailand produce gas?

Natural gas fuels approximately 60–65% of Thailand's electrical power generation. The Erawan gas field in the Gulf of Thailand supplies about 20% of Thailand's gas production.
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Like fuel subsidies, why not subsidize energy usage. Is it really costing more to generate the energy distributed around Thailand?

So Thailand does not produce its own fuel from the oil fields leased out to folks like PTT and so on?

Kind of confused.

Most of Thailand's crude oil and condensates are from offshore fields in the Gulf of Thailand.

Natural gas fuels approximately 60–65% of Thailand's electrical power generation. The Erawan gas field in the Gulf of Thailand supplies about 20% of Thailand's gas production.

The fuel subsidy covers petrol, diesel, gas, oil, anything that is used for fuel. And since most power stations require oil, gas, coal or other fuel, that also is subsidised by the same subsidy that governs automotive fuel purchases.

I compared my UK and Thailand domestic electricity kWh prices for Dec22 to Feb23.  The UK rate was about 500% (yes 5 times) the Thailand rate.  50p vs 10p.

Thailand as a net importer of oil, gas and coal is subject to the same basic global market pricing.

So it seems that either the UK has some highly inefficient structures in its  energy delivery model or Thailand has a huge price bomb overdue to explode.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thailand: Domestic gas production? Yes. Mainly Gulf of Thailand. Imports the product? Yes. Mainly Myanmar. Hope that answers your question.

The heat is one thing and using the a/c to escape the heat is optional. So I wouldn't bother about paying more for electricity except the air pollution levels make remaining indoors and using a/c pretty nearly a necessity. It's government's responsibility to enforce clean air provisions and stop burning or take emergency actions to shut down traffic. If the government is going to refuse to do that, then it needs to pay a subsidy for people to operate a/c. Ought to pay a subsidy, too, for people without a/c to have emergency centers for clean air.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

the government is intensifying its efforts to discover new sources of alternative energy

no need to discover new sources of energy:

Psychic Energy (fairgrounds), Ectoplasm (foam on Prayut's mouth), Road Rage (on the roads, duh), Ghosts (every village, town and city)

Thailand has it all! 

1 hour ago, PeeJayEm said:

I compared my UK and Thailand domestic electricity kWh prices for Dec22 to Feb23.  The UK rate was about 500% (yes 5 times) the Thailand rate.  50p vs 10p.

Thailand as a net importer of oil, gas and coal is subject to the same basic global market pricing.

So it seems that either the UK has some highly inefficient structures in its  energy delivery model or Thailand has a huge price bomb overdue to explode.

Or it could be that the UK has allowed the generators to maintain and even increase substantially their dividends by setting a very high price cap and making the public suck it up. Thailand has chosen to cap at a much lower rate.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, mrfill said:

Or it could be that the UK has allowed the generators to maintain and even increase substantially their dividends by setting a very high price cap and making the public suck it up. Thailand has chosen to cap at a much lower rate.

My theory is that the UK price is way higher than most countries (even in Europe) because the supply chain has been sliced into so many separate stages and markets - all run by private entities (raw fuel supply, generation, grid distribution, retail supply) and all making profits along the way and then with 20% tax on the final retail consumers.

Countries like Thailand (as far as I know) have kept that whole chain in government hands as natural monopoly. In my view that's the correct way of managing anything that is critical infrastructure fundamental to security of the economy and wellbeing or people - not slicing out profit and tax at four stages within the supply.

• Thumbs Up 1

The greed is unlimited... In summer when it is hot and people need to use their airco much more, or fans , they always increase the electricity bills.. Every year the same, a lot of use will give  alot of money. Than start complaining and the bills go down a bit when it is cooler and less usage....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

no need to discover new sources of energy:

Psychic Energy (fairgrounds), Ectoplasm (foam on Prayut's mouth), Road Rage (on the roads, duh), Ghosts (every village, town and city)

Thailand has it all! 

And that is the reason you live in Thailand good luck 

7 hours ago, PeeJayEm said:

Not a valid comparison for anyone other than yourself with energy bills in both places.

Almost everything driving those price differentials are unique to each nations economy and energy supply/demand frameworks. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/19/2023 at 2:54 PM, PeeJayEm said:

Once again, Thailand operates a fuel subsidy scheme, whereby high consumer prices are temporarily subsidised, until such time as energy costs fall when consumers overpay to replenish the fund. During covid it was a one way street and government had to borrow to fund the over extended fund. The idea of the fund is to smooth the peaks and valleys in the price of energy and fuel.....it does work quite well and is responsible for keeping inflation lower than if the scheme wasn't in operation.

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/40016379

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/thailand-steps-inflation-fight-subsidies-081001693.html

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-approves-support-measures-cope-with-high-energy-prices-2022-03-22/

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2023 at 9:45 AM, NoshowJones said:

"Rest assured, I will personally oversee the matter,” the Prime Minister stated".

Of course, just like many of his other lies, ie there won't be a coup. ????

......and why is he continued to be referred to as a PM?

He's not that - technically and legally. 

On 4/23/2023 at 11:32 AM, nigelforbes said:

Thailand operates a fuel subsidy scheme, whereby high consumer prices are temporarily subsidised, until such time as energy costs fall when consumers overpay to replenish the fund. During covid it was a one way street and government had to borrow to fund the over extended fund

Many thanks for all this Nigel - I'm much better informed now. 

• Thanks 1