Thailand’s General Election: Can the Winner Really Take All?

webfact

2 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I have lived here full time since 1993 and I fail to come up with any period  since then where Thailand was run by "proper politicians, with good education".

It's not that such persons do not exist. It's just that in a society where who you know counts for far more than what you know, such persons will have a very hard time getting into positions of power.

I admit I could be wrong, and I do agree with  "where who you know counts for far more than what you know," I suspect brown envelopes involved in some way, but surely you need a good education with university degree's to be successful in politics.

Think about it, imagine the unelected caretaker PM being in charge of a full government of people with university degree's in anything, and none of the 200 odd senator's/generals involved. Would he have lasted one month never mind nine years?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

I don't think that they will get away with that this time IMHO.

The yellow shirts and the rabid royalists are dying off and the youth are replacing them, and they don't want the military at all.

There are far more of them than there are of the military and the group that led the coup last time are no longer as powerful as they were.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_Guard_(Thailand)#:~:text=The King's Guard (Thai%3A ทหาร,the Royal Thai Armed Forces.

may hold a balance of power as they are independent of the Thai military

King's Guard units
The Royal Guards are today composed of 87 formations (formerly 94 battalions or equivalents), mostly found in the Royal Thai Army.

It depends on who actually controls them and what that person wants to do. That person is not as popular as his father, and I think a lot will depend on if, and how much, he is willing to compromise.

Remind us.  Is there any evidence of him showing some modesty and ability to compromise?  Best hope is when he places his orders there will be no one willing to accept them.

Will a negative election result be tolerated?

• Like 2

On 4/20/2023 at 8:03 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

If anybody has the absolute majority in politics, then they have the right to rule.

But obviously they still have to follow the laws and the constitution.

And the politicians are still subjects to the laws. If they do something unlawful, then they should be prosecuted and convicted. That seems to be a problem in Thailand.

Niether laws nor a constitution put in place by a junta should have any moral authority. Same goes for kangaroo courts. 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, pegman said:

Niether laws nor a constitution put in place by a junta should have any moral authority. Same goes for kangaroo courts. 

And what do you think about convicted criminals trying the rule the country?

Or do you think Thaksin and his little sister are innocent?

I have this crazy idea: Imagine Thais would vote for honest and competent politicians. Or at least not for politicians who are known to be corrupt? But somehow it seems that would be too radical for Thailand. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/21/2023 at 6:35 AM, webfact said:

the party will face many challenges in forming the government, including the fact the 250 unelected senators will vote to elect the next prime minister, and are unlikely to support Pheu Thai’s chosen candidate

if that's the case, there is no winning at the start it's already a losing since the 250 unelected Prayut's cronies will only accept somebody from their party as PM, why the elections circus, what's the purpose of these unelected senators

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 12:45 AM, NoshowJones said:

I admit I could be wrong, and I do agree with  "where who you know counts for far more than what you know," I suspect brown envelopes involved in some way, but surely you need a good education with university degree's to be successful in politics.

Think about it, imagine the unelected caretaker PM being in charge of a full government of people with university degree's in anything, and none of the 200 odd senator's/generals involved. Would he have lasted one month never mind nine years?

As I read/hear this hard-wired ideal repeated over and again - what does an extended tertiary education with anything?

Has little to do with goodness, intelligent or reason. 

Stands to ration, that the supposed scholar is just as ignorant, corrupt and disconnect as the uneducated or lesser learned soul. Truly applies to the clandestine and unkempt world of politics......less any other endeavor. 

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have this crazy idea: Imagine Thais would vote for honest and competent politicians. Or at least not for politicians who are known to be corrupt? But somehow it seems that would be too radical for Thailand. 

"And what do you think about convicted criminals trying the rule the country?"

You mean like Nelson Mandela?

I realize Thaksin is no Mandela.  However I also realize the crimes Thaksin was convicted of were business as usual in Thai government.  Staging a coup is also business as usual, but most of us consider it a greater crime.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In a previous post I mentioned mechanisms build in the constitution which may be used to oust a legally elected government without the need for a military coup.

Here's a reminder of one of them. The mechanism is described in the first article: it involves the appointed Senate, the constitutional court, the NACC, and the supreme court, all controlled by the yellow-green network.

"For the next 20 years, public administrations will be directed largely by the national strategy put forward by the National Council for Peace and Order. Governments failing to comply with the plan will face impeachment."

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/30357272

“Generally, it is all right if we have a long-term plan with no punishment for governments that do not follow the strategy, but the 20-year national strategy has imposed a penalty which could lead to an impeachment of the next election governments,” said Pipat

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/30355356

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Vote for Prayuth.

He is obviously your hero.

That's a rather infantile response. By that I mean you haven't actually said anything at all beyond childish slurs. Can't you do better?

Edited by sidneybear
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2023 at 8:11 AM, sidneybear said:

Déjà vu. Fast forward a few months and we'll see yellow shirts on the streets, then Pheu Thai kicked out, then a coup, then back to the start. 

Rubbish.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 9:35 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Charged and convicted in absentia...?

Some might consider this to be make believe. 

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

Charged and convicted in absentia...?

Some might consider this to be make believe. 

Why in absentia?

Didn't he know there were court cases active against him?

Was he sick or something or didn't have enough money to fly to Thailand?

Or was he absent because he chose to be absent? He could have come to Thailand anytime. He could have afforded the best defense attorneys. It seems he knew he was guilty and decided to stay away. 

Guilty as charged. 

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why in absentia?

Didn't he know there were court cases active against him?

Was he sick or something or didn't have enough money to fly to Thailand?

Or was he absent because he chose to be absent? He could have come to Thailand anytime. He could have afforded the best defense attorneys. It seems he knew he was guilty and decided to stay away. 

Guilty as charged. 

He was absent for the same reason Maj Gen Paween Pongsirin fled Thailand and sought asylum in Australia - no due process and no fair trials on offer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35058414

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

24 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

He was absent for the same reason Maj Gen Paween Pongsirin fled Thailand and sought asylum in Australia - no due process and no fair trials on offer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35058414

Please don't compare the coward Thaksin who urged on red shirts to fight the regime,claiming he'd be back, manning the barricades once the first shot was fired, but instead went shopping in Paris, with the brave Major General  Paween Pongsirin who exposed the involvement of the army in human trafficking at great risk to his own safety.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannork said:

Please don't compare the coward Thaksin who urged on red shirts to fight the regime,claiming he'd be back, manning the barricades once the first shot was fired, but instead went shopping in Paris, with the brave Major General  Paween Pongsirin who exposed the involvement of the army in human trafficking at great risk to his own safety.

One and the same my friend, one and the same.

On 4/23/2023 at 12:59 PM, sidneybear said:

Right. Democracy has its flaws. Looking at the degenerate western world, maybe Thailand is better off with the status quo.

Explain what is degenerate about the West. The single greatest reason there is any level of freedom in the world is western civilisation. Do you think uncensored forums (kinda like this one) exist in China, North Korea or Iran? Do you think there is large scale black market organ harvesting or mass ethnic internment camps in the West?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Explain what is degenerate about the West. The single greatest reason there is any level of freedom in the world is western civilisation. Do you think uncensored forums (kinda like this one) exist in China, North Korea or Iran? Do you think there is large scale black market organ harvesting or mass ethnic internment camps in the West?

I'm not sure why you keep bringing Thailand up China, North Korea and Iran, but Thailand is a conservative, religious, peaceful, cohesive and patriotic country, with strong traditions, family ties and respect for its wiser elders. The West has disregarded all of its culture and traditions in favour of soulless lefty wokism, and is vastly diminished because of it.

Edited by sidneybear
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, sidneybear said:

I'm not sure why you keep bringing Thailand up China, North Korea and Iran, but Thailand is a conservative, religious, peaceful, cohesive and patriotic country, with strong traditions, family ties and respect for its wiser elders. The West has disregarded all of its culture and traditions in favour of soulless lefty wokism, and is vastly diminished because of it.

Thailand has one of the greatest levels of inequality in the world. There has been a 20 year struggle by the majority of the population to upend the ingrained system that has deliberately created the inequality. The unnecessary misery, pain and suffering inflicted upon tens of millions of Thais by a greedy and selfish elite has no redeeming qualities. Until the stunning election result, Thailand was veering towards a society that emulated the top down authoritarian control of oppressive regimes as seen in China, North Korea and Iran. The West ain’t perfect, but it certainly beats everywhere else for individual freedom and opportunities for upward mobility. Thailand has chosen wisely in turning its back on Prayuth and embracing Pita.

1 hour ago, sidneybear said:

with strong traditions

most of which are *borrowed* from other cultures. 

2 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Thailand has one of the greatest levels of inequality in the world.

i don't know the exact numbers off hand but before uncle the top 1 percent owned approx 38 percent of thailand....now its over 70. 

numbers don't lie. 

2 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Thailand has one of the greatest levels of inequality in the world. There has been a 20 year struggle by the majority of the population to upend the ingrained system that has deliberately created the inequality. The unnecessary misery, pain and suffering inflicted upon tens of millions of Thais by a greedy and selfish elite has no redeeming qualities. Until the stunning election result, Thailand was veering towards a society that emulated the top down authoritarian control of oppressive regimes as seen in China, North Korea and Iran. The West ain’t perfect, but it certainly beats everywhere else for individual freedom and opportunities for upward mobility. Thailand has chosen wisely in turning its back on Prayuth and embracing Pita.

Why do people leave places like America to live in places like Thailand, then try to turn Thailand into places like America? Surely, if the west was such a great place, we would all want to live there and our only interst in Thaland would be for a holiday in nice weather?

All that inequality stuff about the masses struggling under the yoke of the elite applies equally in the west too - the press is censored throughout the world these days, so you won't see too many headlines about pensioners feezing because they can't pay their energy bills because of net zero jacking up energy costs, etc, etc. At least Thailand has a cohesive society, where families help each other out, strong traditions, self-reliance, and a religion to support people through times of hardship. All the western world has is Prozac.

Thailand's election result was influenced by propogation of western non-culture, vote buying, and external influencing of the young and inexperienced. It will be overturned, and the sooner that happens the better.

• Love It 1