Car owner injured as AC compressor explodes during inspection

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Sanook

Rescuers from the Thammasameerat Foundation responded to an explosion at an abandoned car repair shop in Muang District, Chonburi Province, near the Robinson Department Store.

The owner of the car, a 40-year-old man, suffered serious injuries including a broken leg, cuts to his neck and face, and an injury to his chest. He was taken to Chonburi Hospital.

According to Mr. Pichit Buachan, the mechanic at the repair shop, the car owner brought the car in to inspect the front fan blade which was not turning.

image.jpeg

As Mr. Buachan tried to knock the fan with a screwdriver, the driver sat inside the car and turned on the air conditioner, which caused the explosion, reported Sanook.

The driver got out of the car to check the front, and the air conditioning compressor suddenly exploded with a loud noise.

image.jpeg

The victim's leg was deeply injured, and the cause of the explosion is still unknown. Officials are investigating the incident while the car repair shop remains closed. Mr. Buachan, a ten-year rescue veteran, said he had never seen such an event before, and the unique incident required further investigation.

image.jpeg

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-04-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Indeed amazing.

Also had a amazing explosion in my freezer. Evening before cooled cola was done, forgot new bottle to put in fridge, happens more, but then i let it in for an hour. Works. Only I had no more cola and forgot to take it out, next day after 8-9 hours, -18 C, I heard a "firecracker". My freezer door was open, huh?

Compressor system failure?

No, it was the cola bottle who exploded, leaving a hole in one of the drawers. The cap was launched to the side of the drawer. Amazing.

I'm not sure that's possible to explode with that much force to blow the front off the car and break the guys leg. I think there's more to it than this story posted. I've seen them crack but an evplosion with that much force???? 

• Like 1

I'm sceptical of this. I thought compressors were designed with pressure relief seals. Something very strange going on here. I guess blockage in a line so pressure built up in a section. Without being there my professional opinion is limited

7 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

I'm sceptical of this. I thought compressors were designed with pressure relief seals. Something very strange going on here. I guess blockage in a line so pressure built up in a section. Without being there my professional opinion is limited

I think it really depends on what refrigerant was used.

The owner may have cheaped out and had the system filled with propane/butane/ethane, once the oil leaks out of the compressor the spinning bits get real toasty.... Boom !!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I think it really depends on what refrigerant was used.

The owner may have cheaped out and had the system filled with propane/butane/ethane, once the oil leaks out of the compressor the spinning bits get real toasty.... Boom !!

Definitely something flammable judging by the yellow flash underneath in this screen grab from what I assume is the cctv.

649.jpg.3329b54a4857e5b0e506204c52f5d6cf.jpg

On 6/11/2023 at 3:51 AM, tweedledee2 said:

How can you tell that the radiator is damaged with the AC condenser mounted in front of it.

We’ll call me old fashioned, but I’d look at the radiator whilst attempting the repair to the AC unit, it is, after all, right in front of you! Where did you think the radiator was, in the boot? ????