Thailand notches highest temperature on record as 'monster' heat wave roasts Southeast Asia

snoop1130

7 hours ago, bignok said:

Prove these laws work in the atmosphere then with carbon dioxide with links. Otherwise it's just a false unscientific claim. Saying god exists doesn't prove he does. Lots of scientific theories are just theories anyway. Even gravity isn't 100% proven.

I suggest you step off the balcony on the 14th floor of a condo as a test of your last assertion. Of course, gravity won't kill you, just the sudden stop.

"Saying god exists doesn't prove he does". " It's just a false unscientific claim". I am wondering if you realize what you were doing by putting those two sentences together so closely. Begging the question squared.

Tell me, what are your academic qualifications which enable you to determine what is scientific and unscientific?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

I've been in desert environments with high actual temperatures and very low humidity. The low humidity didn't make it "feel" cooler. 33° in the desert feels like 33° in a very dry environment. I'm much more comfortable in the humidity.

Your comfort zone wouldn't be the norm.

Of course a low humidity makes it feel cooler, the sweat can evaporate into the atmosphere and in doing so draws heat from the body. Years ago they put wet sackcloth over firkins of ale to keep the temperature down.

That wouldn't work in a high humidity as by definition the atmosphere is already laden with water and cannot accept any more, the wet sackcloth would just get warm.

If the temperature rises above 38 degrees in 100% humidity it becomes life threatening as there is no longer any mechanism to keep the blood temperature under control.

BTW.  I was stationed at Sharjah for a year in 1970 when aircon was the exception rather than the rule. Take it from me the aircraft parked on the hardstandings got quite warm, 5 minutes inside the fuselage and you could wring your shorts out.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, still kicking said:

Remote? Are you kidding me?

Around four out of five Australians lived within 50kms from the coast in 1996 according to the latest estimates from the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

You watching to many Crocodile Dundee movies 

I notice you didn't mention about the 'tough women'????

57 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I suggest you step off the balcony on the 14th floor of a condo as a test of your last assertion. Of course, gravity won't kill you, just the sudden stop.

"Saying god exists doesn't prove he does". " It's just a false unscientific claim". I am wondering if you realize what you were doing by putting those two sentences together so closely. Begging the question squared.

Tell me, what are your academic qualifications which enable you to determine what is scientific and unscientific?

I just proved you wrong on the 2nd law. You had no idea.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Water has always been the source of life.

People would soon start whinging if they didn't have any. I remember the days when you couldn't use the toilets in Walking Street because of the water shortage.

Bit of a stink if it happened today.

Water, minerals, protein, sun, shelter. That is all you need. When I see these monks walking on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with bare feet you realise how soft westerners are.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, bignok said:

When I see these monks walking on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with bare feet you realise how soft westerners are.

Heading home after a gruelling day begging alms, yeah hard yakka that! 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bignok said:

Lots of scientific theories are just theories anyway. Even gravity isn't 100% proven.

Scientific facts and theories are two different things. Theories are attempts to explain how or why something happens.

Saying something is "just a theory" betrays a lack of appreciation of what a scientific theory is.

What in everyday speech is called a theory is really, at best, a hypothesis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

Edited by Paradise Pete
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, bignok said:

Water, minerals, protein, sun, shelter. That is all you need. When I see these monks walking on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with bare feet you realise how soft westerners are.

The Tudon Forest monks are a rare breed.  I've seen these guys walking bare feet down the highway shoulder in the middle of the afternoon.  They gotta have feet like leather.  Ouch.

8 hours ago, bignok said:

I just proved you wrong on the 2nd law. You had no idea.

Your failure to understand the scientific process is abysmal. The experiment which claims to have breached the second law of thermodynamics only has validity when it can be replicated by an independent body of researchers.

I suspect, as with cold fusion, it will fall at that hurdle.

Begging the question again. Goodbye.

20 hours ago, bignok said:

Prove these laws work in the atmosphere then with carbon dioxide with links. Otherwise it's just a false unscientific claim. Saying god exists doesn't prove he does. Lots of scientific theories are just theories anyway. Even gravity isn't 100% proven.

The carbon dioxide molecular vibration frequencies are in resonance with infrared radiation frequencies. So the molecule absorbs and re-emits IR. https://scied.ucar.edu/learning-zone/how-climate-works/carbon-dioxide-absorbs-and-re-emits-infrared-radiation

• Like 1

1 hour ago, morrobay said:

The carbon dioxide molecular vibration frequencies are in resonance with infrared radiation frequencies. So the molecule absorbs and re-emits IR. https://scied.ucar.edu/learning-zone/how-climate-works/carbon-dioxide-absorbs-and-re-emits-infrared-radiation

IIRC, infra-red radiation is used in industrial processes such as paint curing and plastics manufacture. Also some skin conditions where gentle warmth is needed.

On 4/22/2023 at 1:10 AM, soi3eddie said:

Spoke to my GF in Chonburi today and she was quoting figures of 54c. It seems that the climate brigade have jumped on the "real feel" or "feels like" figure rather than the actual figure. Last week I was in Bangkok when they said it was over 50c but the actual temperature was 38c. Sure it was scorching, but why are they now seizing on the higher figures? What's their agenda on this?

Just like when they tell their  mates  how much a Farang sends them  every month, they always add a zero

12 hours ago, connda said:

Try living in Dubai.  ????

I  would like to go back and have a look, haven't been since 1970.

I was called out to a compass problem on a motor launch in the creek. Biggest danger was falling in, crap and dead dogs floating everywhere.

On 4/22/2023 at 8:40 AM, bignok said:

Prove these laws work in the atmosphere then with carbon dioxide with links.

Did you ever study physics at any level?

Understand the definitions of and differences between of "Law" and "Theory".

It's called a law because it's been tested thousands of times, from thousands of angles, over a few centuries. No data to contradict the Laws of Thermodynamics. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Peabody said:

Did you ever study physics at any level?

Understand the definitions of and differences between of "Law" and "Theory".

It's called a law because it's been tested thousands of times, from thousands of angles, over a few centuries. No data to contradict the Laws of Thermodynamics. 

2nd law was broken.

https://www.nature.com/articles/news020722-2

https://www.brownstoneresearch.com/bleeding-edge/googles-quantum-computer-just-broke-the-second-law-of-thermodynamics/

On 4/21/2023 at 10:14 PM, ikke1959 said:

A Thai weatherman said there is no heatwave... so we should believe him instead of the others from other countries...

My weather station said sunny for the next 10 days. But I almost lost my roof from strong wind and rain over the last 2 days. Their forecast is very bad, with no warning of any trouble ahead.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

My weather station said sunny for the next 10 days. But I almost lost my roof from strong wind and rain over the last 2 days. Their forecast is very bad, with no warning of any trouble ahead.

As they have no clue... Here they predict 90% rain and not even 1 drop or overcast....and on another day plenty of sunshine and hot and we are drowning.... I think they watch the sky and forecast.

• Haha 1