Turkish man assaults Pattaya restaurant worker, leaving him in a coma

webfact

5 minutes ago, NextG said:

I’m suggesting that you sound like a misery and that I don’t really want to engage with you. It’s obvious that you aren’t really getting that, but I’m trying to be polite about it. 

Well, you engaged with me and continue to do so.  You can stop replying any time.

5 minutes ago, NextG said:

You can use the same analogy for Songkran. Not everyone can detect the subtle signals that someone doesn’t want to play and you can get splashed. Such is life. Adapt or die. 

This would be a wonderful analogy, if it reflected the truth of Songkran.

You can go on pretending that Songkran is only as you describe it, even when others say their experience is different.  I doubt anyone could tell you otherwise.

It's clear that the truth of what actually happens means little to you.

I guess when the truth conflicts with what you need to believe in order to "live in harmony", you cannot accept it and anyone who disagrees must be labelled a "misery". ????‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Just as there will always be people who feel the need to insult people who have different experiences or opinions to them. ????‍♂️

I never insulted you, unless you consider yourself a whinger.

Edited by giddyup
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I had a younger 30's middle eastern or Indian man grab me quite forcefully on my upper right arm so his friend could douse me as I was walking home with some groceries.  I was already soaking wet and only a few blocks from my condo at the time.

This is late afternoon and though a bit shocked, just assumed the guys were a bit drunk and felt obligated to soak an already soaked 65 year old man trying to sneak behind them on the sidewalk.

No worries, took another dowsing to their delight and the guy released his grip and I walked on. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:
2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Not everyone wants to be pelted with water while they go about their business.

Sorry and what Business was he going about in a bar area with a water festival happening?

Yeh pelted with water, that really does deserve to be smashed in the head, and put in a coma Jeez. :post-4641-1156694572:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Sorry and what Business was he going about in a bar area with a water festival happening?

Yeh pelted with water, that really does deserve to be smashed in the head, and put in a coma Jeez. :post-4641-1156694572:

I think its clear that this ‘sort of character’ is going to finding himself in confrontational situations wherever his going, whatever he is doing - If it wasn’t getting triggered by getting splashed with water, it would be something else. 

IF he truly didn’t want to get splashed with water and had genuine expectations not to get splashed he wouldn’t be in an area where water splashing was happening to the extent it was. 

He of course has the right to request not to be splashed wherever he was, the violet response is wholly excessive given the time of year, location etc. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Are you suggesting that I am in any way claiming that what the Turk did was OK?

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed... at this time of year there are lots of people of all nationality’s who seem to show one common human trait amongst themselves - the inability to show restraint !!!!

Even during Songkran there are laws in place and its considered a criminal offence to ‘soak someone’ and damage their property (we phone) if they have clearly identified they don't want to be part of the proceedings. 

Each year there are a number of Lawsuits - rarely mentioned in the English language media, but there in the Thai press. In the cases I’m aware of it is people travelling to work, who have filed charges. 

Just one example: a model going to work, was soaked. Had to go home and change again, she was late for her appointment and lost 5000 Baht... She is suing the people in her street for loss of earnings. 

pricey appointment....maybe she should have dressed at work which a lot of people do during Songkran

• Thanks 1

Well at least not an Aussie or Brit for change  , hec you know it's Songkran Thai new year just chill have some fun go home ,Your guest in there country if you don't like Thai tradition Don't go , simple as that .. 

• Like 1

The Turkish tourist must have some missing brain cells ???? coming to Thailand over Songkran when most people celebrate throwing water  over everyone ????

Especially Pattaya who do it for a week non stop and is known world wide for celebrating Songkran that's why tourists come over this period ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

A nice idea, but I can't imagine many Thai people stopping to think about how a foreigner might feel about being pelted with water before doing so.  It would be interesting to see a Thailand where it happened though.  "Maybe we should think about how foreign people feel about things that to us seem fun but to them might feel like assault."  It might make the place a bit boring and less cheerful.

An annoying thing to happen, but not a proportionate response from the Turk.

Perhaps both Thais and foreigners alike need to be reminded of what will happen in the festival and how different people will feel differently about it.

This is not the first Songkran in Thailand...I remember as a student back in the 80's, this tradition was in the news.  Any man with 3 brain cells can put two and two together and observe a country that invited you in, observing a tradition.  If you are not sure, then ask questions or stay the f***k in your room.  People who come here and do not respect the culture deserve the consequence of resorting to violence.  That man is damaged and is lucky he did not pull that on a violent Western Tourist (aka Americans or Brits or Aussies who would not take crap from him).

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

............I realise that this is the perspective you view things from, but you have to be aware that the people you communicate with may see things in a slightly more nuance way.

Now, why to Pot and Kettle spring to mind?...........

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1