Freemasonry

sipi

what are the motivations for people joining these groups?

according to conspiracy guys, many high-level politicians are high-level (33rd degree) freemasons.

the only direct experience i've had is a filipino guy back home who joined.

i think his motivation was to have power over other people.

that didn't seem to work out too well for him as he was trapped in a lowly job. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jaiyenyen said:

I was a member of a lodge in the UK for many years. When I left the UK I became a country member of that lodge. I've since given up being a member but I look back on my time in masonry, fondly. I enjoyed the meetings and the festive board after. I enjoyed the social side of it too, raising money for charity. I enjoyed the camaraderie.

After I moved to Thailand, I visited Chula lodge, Bangkok a couple of times but decided (For many reasons) not to join.

I still have my regalia, in its case, on top of the wardrobe.

I know nothing of the illuminati or the new world order, and have no interest in that. I just enjoyed the 'Street level' masonry. It's not for everyone, we're all different.

I find explaining Freemasonry to someone who isn't a freemason is a bit like explaing Thailand to someone who's never visited the country.

Same for me. It was a night out with the lads.

• Like 2

I was a keen Freemason and belonged to two lodges one in London and one in Hertfordshire also a Lodge of Instruction, I found it, and all the members very square :ph34r:

Edited by CatCage
  • Like 1

Love the iconography and in Sudbury UK, where I used to live, the Mason Hall had a beautiful old pub inside of it. Heavy tory membership, a lot of overlap with the Conservative Club.

In the American South, it's more of a networking thing, like Chamber of Commerce.

It's also racially divided; black and white masons to this day have separate organizations, with the black ones having trippier, more Egyptian interiors. Washington DC is the Masonic Building capitol of the world.

The black music style known as Go-Go originates from live shows played at Masonic Lodge venues.

• Like 2

The best Lodge in Thailand (IMHO) was Star in the East, an English-speaking Lodge under the (French) GLNF. The (late) Worshipful Master was an incredibly clever man, and the meetings were very spiritual and full of meaning.

Sadly, it closed itself down many years back - the authorities suspected that it was sympathetic to a certain political party, which wasn't the case, even though one of its Thai members was high up in that said party. People started getting harassed and wanted no part of it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/24/2023 at 11:47 AM, jaiyenyen said:

I was a member of a lodge in the UK for many years. When I left the UK I became a country member of that lodge. I've since given up being a member but I look back on my time in masonry, fondly. I enjoyed the meetings and the festive board after. I enjoyed the social side of it too, raising money for charity. I enjoyed the camaraderie.

After I moved to Thailand, I visited Chula lodge, Bangkok a couple of times but decided (For many reasons) not to join.

I still have my regalia, in its case, on top of the wardrobe.

I know nothing of the illuminati or the new world order, and have no interest in that. I just enjoyed the 'Street level' masonry. It's not for everyone, we're all different.

I find explaining Freemasonry to someone who isn't a freemason is a bit like explaing Thailand to someone who's never visited the country.

Chula is one of the more upmarket Lodges - they meet in the Sukhothai Hotel, with lots of feasting and drinking. I too went there once, but it wasn't really my thing. Hard to explain why, other than every Lodge has its own "Egregore" - the collective consciousness of its members if you like. Personality is another way of describing it. Some you feel at home with, others not so much.

Edited by sidneybear
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Chula is one of the more upmarket Lodges - they meet in the Sukhothai Hotel, with lots of feasting and drinking. I too went there once, but it wasn't really my thing. Hard to explain why, other than every Lodge has its own "Egregore" - the collective consciousness of its members if you like. Personality is another way of describing it. Some you feel at home with, others not so much.

I got the same feeling. Nice enough group of people and they made me very welcome but I'm more comfortable in a slightly less upmarket lodge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaiyenyen said:

I got the same feeling. Nice enough group of people and they made me very welcome but I'm more comfortable in a slightly less upmarket lodge.

I've been told that Lodge Morakot - an Irish Lodge - might suit me. One day I'll give it a try. I do have Irish ancestry after all.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Have you been invited????

I'm a paid up member of a lodge, so I can visit other lodges whenever I like, anywhere in the world. As a courtesy, I should tell them I'm coming so they can arrange catering and things like that, and I'll also have to present my credentials on arrival. There is no need to be invited.