Thailand’s most polarizing family rises again before election

webfact

6 hours ago, Keep Right said:

More proof that Thailand is a third world country hopelessly mired in corruption.

Yet, we tend to conveniently ignore the omnipresent corruption, criminal/unethical and grafted activity that has always existed throughout the most civilised first world [whatever that is].

When dumbing down, and the acceptance thereof, becomes a hard-wired facet of life it all becomes rather moot to use surface superlative and comparatives. 

• Like 2

The conservatives know they're going to get hammered in the election yet they still hope Prayuth or Pravit can be PM.

How?

The constitution doesn't limit the length of time that a new government must be formed within post election.

So Prayut continues as a caretaker government, he's got the senators, the MPs from the present government. All he has to do is 'persuade' enough PT MPs to switch sides, as they've done before, and hey! Bob, or rather Tu, is your uncle again.

I hope I'm wrong but the deliberate loophole of no time limit to form a government is a worry.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Go Paetongtarn....I want you as my PM. You will be as good as Yingluck was.....brilliant.

And if her baby is born into office, it will be an early start for the Thaksin premier for the next generation. ????

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, bannork said:

The conservatives know they're going to get hammered in the election yet they still hope Prayuth or Pravit can be PM.

How?

The constitution doesn't limit the length of time that a new government must be formed within post election.

So Prayut continues as a caretaker government, he's got the senators, the MPs from the present government. All he has to do is 'persuade' enough PT MPs to switch sides, as they've done before, and hey! Bob, or rather Tu, is your uncle again.

I hope I'm wrong but the deliberate loophole of no time limit to form a government is a worry.

Or even easier......just initiate another soft coup. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Since the coup which started the close down of the Shinewatra political clan was 16 years ago, and the older generations are in exile, it is inevitable that Paetongtarn has little in the way of political experience.

Mind you, few if any of the others have experience of actually fighting and winning elections on policies or past performance - Prawit and Prayut anyone?

She has lived, practically her entire life, dead centre of Thai politics. She will no doubt be one of the best connected individuals in the country, she will know the true backstory and major players in every significant political event of the past 25 years. She has 3 family members who have been PM… that is 3 trusted (for blood is thicker than water) advisors she can rely on who have “been there, done that”. Additionally, her opposition, the old guard right wing elites are weaker and more divided than they have ever been. Long story short, after winning the election and becoming PM, she will go on to win re-election in a far more devastating and crushing landslide than Thaksin’s huge 2005 re-election win.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

She has lived, practically her entire life, dead centre of Thai politics. She will no doubt be one of the best connected individuals in the country, she will know the true backstory and major players in every significant political event of the past 25 years. She has 3 family members who have been PM… that is 3 trusted (for blood is thicker than water) advisors she can rely on who have “been there, done that”. Additionally, her opposition, the old guard right wing elites are weaker and more divided than they have ever been. Long story short, after winning the election and becoming PM, she will go on to win re-election in a far more devastating and crushing landslide than Thaksin’s huge 2005 re-election win.

Oh I hope you are right.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

a formidable last name but little in the way of political experience,

Prayuth did not have a formidable name; nor political experience and he made it to the top.  You just need more guns than the opposition.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, bignok said:

I thought Pheu Thai were the conservatives

The book on PT might suggest not, but wiser souls understand there's not much difference [if any] in comparison to the traditional ruling clique.

• Like 2