Thailand offers 11 billion baht subsidy for low-income electricity bills

webfact

deregulate electric production and allow people who want to buy/sell at the current price.

Currently the pea is passive aggressive if you have solar panels and really don't like to pay if you send out to the grid.

In a free market, the cure for high prices are high prices.
And Thailand always said it get so cheap gas from Myanmar? Where is it? And as Thai industry already complained, why not buying Russian oil and gas as it is cheap.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Must try harder is what my teacher used to right on my report after I said I did my best.

"He tried his best" was always the encrypted form of saying that someone was a total failure....

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There is one excuse for him....For years this government was pushing for some nuclear power and everywhere was big resistance.....I remember Khanom in the South was discussed and there were lots of protests.
If we would have now a power plant that produces a 2000 MW for almost nothing, electric would be cheaper

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, jcmj said:

Well if the bills stay like they are, then there will be many more issues when people can’t or don’t pay their bills. ???? gonna hit the fans. 

They aren't scared to cut you off for unpaid bills here unlike Europe!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, jcmj said:

Well if the bills stay like they are, then there will be many more issues when people can’t or don’t pay their bills. ???? gonna hit the fans. 

I recall we once forgot to pay....they came to remind us and told that next week they cut us off if we don't pay

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

maybe where you come from...

yes...in German language, if you finish a job and get a letter from your previous employer. Per law they are not allowed to write something negative, so they write "he tried his best". Which means a complete failure.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, h90 said:

deregulate electric production and allow people who want to buy/sell at the current price.

Currently the pea is passive aggressive if you have solar panels and really don't like to pay if you send out to the grid.

In a free market, the cure for high prices are high prices.
And Thailand always said it get so cheap gas from Myanmar? Where is it? And as Thai industry already complained, why not buying Russian oil and gas as it is cheap.

Deregulation of the UK energy market left millions of its citizens  having to choose between heating and eating last winter. Prices for electricity in Thailand are much lower. 

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, NONG CHOK said:

My power useage never varies much from month to month. My power charges from Jan through to Mar this year have totalled 2,100 baht. I just received my current account and it's 1,300 baht. I'm not complaining but a 90% increase from Mar to Apr would appear to be hard to justify.

May I add, my actual useage was lower this month than the previous month which makes the 90% increase even more incredible.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Drumbuie said:

Deregulation of the UK energy market left millions of its citizens  having to choose between heating and eating last winter. Prices for electricity in Thailand are much lower. 

Don't know the UK laws, but I doubt it is a deregulation, most probably they just shared the market between their cronies. Or can you sell electric to the current marketprice into the grid? Or to your neighbor?

• Thumbs Up 1

I think we are lucky that Vietnam for instance only charges about 2.70 baht per unit. Thailand's manufacturing needs to be competitive or foreign companies that need a lot of electricity will move to countries where it is cheaper. Therefore I guess Thailand will avoid increasing the price too much.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, h90 said:

There is one excuse for him....For years this government was pushing for some nuclear power and everywhere was big resistance.....I remember Khanom in the South was discussed and there were lots of protests.
If we would have now a power plant that produces a 2000 MW for almost nothing, electric would be cheaper

So you think that a nuclear power plant costs nothing to build, nothing to maintain, nothing to dispose of the spent fuel rods? That also does not include the cost of decommissioning the plant at the end of its working life.

Who will pay the upfront costs, including the loans required and at what interest rates?

https://www.synapse-energy.com/sites/default/files/SynapsePaper.2008-07.0.Nuclear-Plant-Construction-Costs.A0022_0.pdf

Projected Nuclear Power Plant Construction Costs Are Soaring
The construction cost estimates for new nuclear power plants are very uncertain and have
increased significantly in recent years. Companies that are planning new nuclear units are
currently indicating that the total costs (including escalation and financing costs) will be in
the range of $5,500/kW to $8,100/kW or between $6 billion and $9 billion for each 1,100
MW plant.
These new cost estimates are far higher than the industry had previously predicted. For example, as recently as the years 2000-2002, the industry and Department of Energy were talking about overnight costs of $1,200/kW to $1,500/kW for new nuclear units.1
 This range of estimated overnight costs suggested total plant costs of between $2 and $4 billion per new nuclear unit.

The MIT Future of Nuclear Study in 2003, increased the estimated prices
of new nuclear plants to $2,000/kW, not including financing costs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

So you think that a nuclear power plant costs nothing to build, nothing to maintain, nothing to dispose of the spent fuel rods? That also does not include the cost of decommissioning the plant at the end of its working life.

Who will pay the upfront costs, including the loans required and at what interest rates?

https://www.synapse-energy.com/sites/default/files/SynapsePaper.2008-07.0.Nuclear-Plant-Construction-Costs.A0022_0.pdf

Projected Nuclear Power Plant Construction Costs Are Soaring
The construction cost estimates for new nuclear power plants are very uncertain and have
increased significantly in recent years. Companies that are planning new nuclear units are
currently indicating that the total costs (including escalation and financing costs) will be in
the range of $5,500/kW to $8,100/kW or between $6 billion and $9 billion for each 1,100
MW plant.
These new cost estimates are far higher than the industry had previously predicted. For example, as recently as the years 2000-2002, the industry and Department of Energy were talking about overnight costs of $1,200/kW to $1,500/kW for new nuclear units.1
 This range of estimated overnight costs suggested total plant costs of between $2 and $4 billion per new nuclear unit.

The MIT Future of Nuclear Study in 2003, increased the estimated prices
of new nuclear plants to $2,000/kW, not including financing costs. 

Yes it is a huge investment, but it is safe energy for 50, they speak already about 80 years on the new plants. And all the world is building them. Poland alone is planning 6 new nuclear power plants to replace their coal plants. Since a long time the spent fuel rods can be recycled it is not the 1980s anymore. It is by far the cheapest source of electric and it produces almost no CO2.
We can't increase electric consumption (Aircons, electric cars), don't build power plants, close coal power plants and complain about increasing prices. Either prices are high so industry goes into other countries and normal people can't have airconditions, or we build coal power plants (I don't know if Thailand has coal domestic) or we build nuclear power plants. Only problem is that no one want to have it close to their land. I wouldn't want it in my neighborhood. But I wouldn't want a coal power plant in my neighborhood as well.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, h90 said:

I don't know the UK model, but my guess it is not a free market it is an oligopoly. I doubt you can sell electric at the peak time and get that super high rate (the rate fluctuate during the day). So it is not free market it is some legal mafia, which is worse than state owned.

I tried to get my head around it when they were having problems  last year but it is a strange arrangement they try and dress up as a free competitive market... and it aint. State owned as it was when I was younger isn't looking so bad right now for essential services.... Thailand does OK! 

• Thumbs Up 1