Phuket police open inquest into the death of Australian tourist found at Patong Police Station

webfact

39 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Why don't you care, is more the question. It's a tragedy. I don't even know the guy, but I'm upset about this.

I'm not. People die every few seconds. That's life.

Edited by bignok
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Sad to see a guy so young as this go, especially with a young 2 year old daughter that I am sure he adored.

It could well be that he had a drinking problem and his relationship was stressed due to the fact, yes I am speculating, that said, if he did have a drinking problem, as he said to his girlfriend, half an hour before he was taken away, i.e. he drank too much, then locking him up in a cell would not have been the best thing to do by the BIB, if there was no other alternative, then sure he should have been stripped of anything that could cause harm to himself and been monitored.

But we know, life here is cheap, and expecting the BIB to think outside the box is hard, i.e. unless there is a few baht in it for them.

RIP m8

4 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Another amazing one-liner from you... "That's life"... 10s of billions have died in human history, therefore I should not get upset about a young Aussie guy dying in a Thai jail under mysterious circumstances. Ok, that's real deep thinking. When members of your own family die, just remember what you just said...

What you don't seem to understand is that this incident happened in a place many of us call home. These police are part of our community. It matters - a lot.

If you don't know the guy, no need to get upset. Your reason for getting upset is he is youngish and Australian. So being selective. Makes no sense.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, bignok said:

If you don't know the guy, no need to get upset. Your reason for getting upset is he is youngish and Australian. So being selective. Makes no sense.

That's a very Thai attitude. Don't know him, nothing to do with me so I don't care. I'm not saying that's wrong. We westerners do get upset and/or discuss things we have no influence over, constantly. Are we right or wrong to do that? Is there any point to that? I guess it depends on culture and tradition.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

It's weird, isn't it? I get upset when other humans, even ones I don't know, die. It's called empathy: the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Of course you don't have it, so you don't understand it.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That's a very Thai attitude. Don't know him, nothing to do with me so I don't care. I'm not saying that's wrong. We westerners do get upset and/or discuss things we have no influence over, constantly. Are we right or wrong to do that? Is there any point to that? I guess it depends on culture and tradition.

If a Vietnamese guy dies do westerners care so much? No they don't. Seems to be race based. Blame the Asian/Thai cops. White guy was murdered type argument.

Let the Embassy look at it.

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

If you arrested for being drunk and disorderly and put in a police cell overnight to sleep it off and calm down they don't methodically remove cords from shorts or even take your shoelaces - not even in the UK - unless there are exceptional circumstances or an obvious danger of self harm. 

The Thai police - incompetent as they usually are - do not generally go around beating up or murdering foreigners, they are normally very very restrained and patient with drunks.

"normally", yes, but sometimes they go beserk. It's the abnomal behaviour we need to be concerned about.

Remember the massacre of 34 by an ex-policemen up north. Policemen are people, and there's always a chance someone in the force might be unhinged. There have been many examples in the past.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, JensenZ said:

You're a weird one - getting upset that people are suggeting possible foul play by the BiB... even the police department are investigating the incident to rule out foul play. There will be no fair investigation because the police department should not be investigating themselves.

One correction, the Embassy are also coordinating with the deceased family back at home to have the body repatriated. they have been a great help.

Not as weird as folk here continually making unfounded assumptions about the Thai police...............:ermm:

• Thumbs Up 1

Several posts have been edited or removed due to trolling and baiting comments directed at the quoted posters.  Additional Trolling and bickering posts have also been removed.  Remain civil or have your posts removed completely and your posting ability suspended.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

The Thai police - incompetent as they usually are - do not generally go around beating up or murdering foreigners, they are normally very very restrained and patient with drunks.

That's been my experience as well.  My big complaint is about the bribery being essentially legal here.  That's a systemic problem.  I don't see how complaining about how Thais are idiots or always do this or that helps anyone at all, including the unfortunate guy who died here.  But I understand the impulse!  As I've stated elsewhere, there is  nothing uniquely Thai about violence against prison inmates, possessing ignorant opinions, etc.  People are like this everywhere.  It takes effort to bring peace to the world...