Electric Vehicle Registrations Increase for 3rd Consecutive Month

snoop1130

1 hour ago, sidneybear said:

Meanwhile, there's always petrol, packed with 46 Megajoules of energy per kilogram. Lithium batteries? A measly 2MJ/kg, even the best ones, which is why EVs are soo heavy and dangerous in an accident. 

ICE cars have an efficiency of somewhere between 17-22% so the majority of that wonderful energy is being lost.

Electric vehicles around 85-90% efficiency.

• Thumbs Up 2

37 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

ICE cars have an efficiency of somewhere between 17-22% so the majority of that wonderful energy is being lost.

Yes, well, you were boasting about performance a while back my friend, saying that your horsepowers were bigger than mine, and all that bravado. Have you ever experienced the raw joy of a screaming 165 hp 1100 cc ICE mounted on a 250 kg motorcycle? Have you ever heard that whine of an inline four at low revs transform into a gutteral roar as you watch everything disappear in your rear view mirrors, dancing in and out of the traffic? Those lumbering and overweight EVs do sound totally pedestrian when we compare, but please do enjoy that boring washing machine hum in the meantime. 

For a car, 270 hp is plenty. Cars are utilitarian, keeping the rain off and transporting the family. It's nice to have one that got reasonable performance like mine has, but no need for anything more. 

https://youtu.be/vkVLD1Zgg4w

Edited by sidneybear

26 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

And what mobile washing machine could ever beat this: 

"What are the fastest electric cars in 2023? The fastest electric car is Rimac Nevera 1408 kW that has top speed of 412 km/h (256 mph). The second is Aspark Owl that has a top speed of 400 km/h (249 mph) and the third fastest car is Tesla Roadster that has a top speed of 400 km/h (249 mph)"

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet and AFAIK my nearest public charging point is on the route 1 AH 1 some 60 km away.

The MG Garage has 1 or 2, Robinsons has the same.

So, to charge my EV, if I had one, at a public charging point, I would lose 60km of battery charge just to get home again.

Do you have a map showing all of these wonderful charging stations?

You want to know where the stations are, that you'll never use.

Google, PlugShare, or ChargeLoma app if really interested.

People have posted more than enough links on AN if interested.  Although, you would probably be charging at home.  How many does one really need?

image.png.0f7eb4a33d4877ddb3a6940fdd073af9.png

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jotnar said:

"What are the fastest electric cars in 2023? The fastest electric car is Rimac Nevera 1408 kW that has top speed of 412 km/h (256 mph). The second is Aspark Owl that has a top speed of 400 km/h (249 mph) and the third fastest car is Tesla Roadster that has a top speed of 400 km/h (249 mph)"

You want to know where the stations are, that you'll never use.

Google, PlugShare, or ChargeLoma app if really interested.

People have posted more than enough links on AN if interested.  Although, you would probably be charging at home.  How many does one really need?

image.png.0f7eb4a33d4877ddb3a6940fdd073af9.png

Well If my wife wanted to get to BKK, (I don't drive any more) it is about 350 km.

We live in that blank area to the left where nothing is shown. 

Between KPP and the house there are at least 40 ICE gas stations and no EV charging stations.

It is OK if you are on a main highway, but out in rural Thailand, which is the majority of the country and the people, there is very little to nothing unless you charge your EV at home.

EVs at present are fine but how many EV tractors, etans, iron buffalos, motorcycles are there available and at what price, for the majority of the poor Thai people?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

But judging by your silly digs and childish comments I know you have no intention of ever trying it so not sure why you even bother joining these threads really

You EV riders surely are the only grown ups around, that's for sure. You're virtuous folks,  righteously saving the planet, suffering as you are with all that inconvenience waiting hours for a recharge, so you rightly expect that we should love you for that. We'll done. 

Edited by sidneybear

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Well If my wife wanted to get to BKK, (I don't drive any more) it is about 350 km.

We live in that blank area to the left where nothing is shown. 

Between KPP and the house there are at least 40 ICE gas stations and no EV charging stations.

It is OK if you are on a main highway, but out in rural Thailand, which is the majority of the country and the people, there is very little to nothing unless you charge your EV at home.

EVs at present are fine but how many EV tractors, etans, iron buffalos, motorcycles are there available and at what price, for the majority of the poor Thai people?

if you read the op, plenty of MBs, all sizes and budgets.  Cheaper than ICEs, perform better, same or lower cost to buy in and maintain, though if looking for top end speed or 100 km range, stick to ICEs.

one brand seems to be quite popular and gets government incentives:

image.png.ba7d12db6b651af16ab3ec098e25ee23.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Nothing in Pai?  Surprised about that.

You can go CM-Pai-CM without the need to charge.  If doing the loop, there are stations along the way.  If you live there, then you are obviously charging at home.

Any more silly examples ?

• Love It 1

8 minutes ago, Jotnar said:

if you read the op, plenty of MBs, all sizes and budgets.  Cheaper than ICEs, perform better, same or lower cost to buy in and maintain, though if looking for top end speed or 100 km range, stick to ICEs.

one brand seems to be quite popular and gets government incentives:

image.png.ba7d12db6b651af16ab3ec098e25ee23.png

Thank you for that link.

There are a few around locally but I have no idea of the range. Speed does not matter that much. 

A quick look shows me these models as an example,

R88E
Model: Renny R88E
Motor power: 1000W
Battery power: 60V 20Ah
Battery type: Lithium (Manganate/LifeP04)
Time charging: 2-3 hrs
Max speed: 70 Km/hrs gear 4
Max distance: 60-80 Km depending on load and driving (average speed 35 km/hrs.)
Loading: 158.30 Kg
Unique feature: Remote start (keyless driving)

price 57,900 baht

Renny Bike R88S 2000w electric motorcycle can be registered

Renny Bike R88S, model 2000W, new look, electric motorcycle, Thai brand, can be registered, assembled in Thailand, motor 2000w, battery 72V30Am

฿89,000

Renny Bike R88S, new look, power, speed 

Motor 2000W, battery 72V30Am, charging at home, convenient, running 80-120 kilometers, can be registered, can pay by installment  

Faded digital mic, LED light 

These prices are after the government discount.

12 hours ago, Jotnar said:

Yes, I get the smile factors, as pretty confident my almost instant EV torque will match or beat that 270hp turbo off the line.

Search the fastest vehicles, 0-60mph/100kph

Hint; they won't be ICEs

And I get to pass all those petrol stations and spend my baht on things I actually want, instead of the fueling and constant maintenance of an ICE vehicle.

Did that for decades, so moved on from those old, inefficient low tech machines to something much better.

Last reply to you, and thread.

Fastest vehicles are Drag Racers, qtr mile in less than 3 seconds with a big polluting engine.  Although, I guess you mean road car, in which case, I take your point.

5 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I think I saw a statistic (probably depends on country) that only 35% of electricity gets to its final destination.  The rest is lost in process of getting it there.

Got chatting to a guy parked up a local McDonalds, he was in a Tesla Model3 Performance.  I'd never seen this model around.

He said he loved everything about it - but - if it was his own money, he would buy something with a nice big engine in it.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, billd766 said:

There is already a 36% surplus of power generation available.

What IS necessary is an upgrade of the entire PEA network including new transformers, cabling, gangs going around clearing the trees away from the power lines and upgraded home meters and power lines.

The phasing out of old coal fired generators, more use of renewable energy sources and far more efficient contracts for small power producers.

https://www.krungsri.com/en/research/industry/industry-outlook/Energy-Utilities/Power-Generation/IO/io-power-generation-21/#:~:text=This includes plants that are,and oil (Figure 5).

The ability for household using solr to sell the surplus back to EGAT.

I read the claim....Which means that I don't know if it is true....that a good part of the surplus is solar, so in morning/evening there is no surplus.
If there is such a big surplus why the electric is so expensive? The 36% more expensive power plants should be shut down.
I would not phase out any old coal fired (and cheap) generators until electric hits a 2.5 Baht/kWh. If they phase them out now they get into the situation like Germany...more demand, less production.
Yes I read about people who wanted to do everything correct and sell back solar power to EGAT......Alone the costs of a proper licensed install with the certified parts is far more expensive than it should be.....Normally Bangkok should be full with panels.....

• Like 2

On 4/28/2023 at 10:40 AM, Speedhump said:

OK. If we're playing silly bggrs, why? The inconvenience of mileage range, lack of charge points in some locations or difficulty planning to visit them and hoping they're not already being used, , the hours breaking your journey to recharge,... 

Hey, Mr Yesterday.....registrations went up.......and they will continue to go up........THAT'S IT......END OF.

Death knell is sounding for IC

byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyebyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyye.

6 hours ago, h90 said:

I read the claim....Which means that I don't know if it is true....that a good part of the surplus is solar, so in morning/evening there is no surplus.
If there is such a big surplus why the electric is so expensive? The 36% more expensive power plants should be shut down.
I would not phase out any old coal fired (and cheap) generators until electric hits a 2.5 Baht/kWh. If they phase them out now they get into the situation like Germany...more demand, less production.
Yes I read about people who wanted to do everything correct and sell back solar power to EGAT......Alone the costs of a proper licensed install with the certified parts is far more expensive than it should be.....Normally Bangkok should be full with panels.....

I have done a search of the Post which is where I think I saw that info and the only thing I have found was back on 2nd January. 

Rosana Tositrakul a former Bangkok senator claimed that EGAT had signed contracts, each lasting 25 years, but fairly close. for private companies to provide capacity to EGAT at a high cost, whether the power was used or not.

It wasn't what I was looking for but it was close enough.

16 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have done a search of the Post which is where I think I saw that info and the only thing I have found was back on 2nd January. 

Rosana Tositrakul a former Bangkok senator claimed that EGAT had signed contracts, each lasting 25 years, but fairly close. for private companies to provide capacity to EGAT at a high cost, whether the power was used or not.

It wasn't what I was looking for but it was close enough.

What I read was the respond to it, where they told it is not true because lot of this energy is solar, so you need it "double" but I don't have the link, and didn't read/remember in detail. Their point was that for every solar panel/windmill you need a conventional power plant as backup, so you end having way more capacity than needed on the book, but in reality you need it. The argument is true, but if it is the case with EGAT, I don't know.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 6:23 AM, Enoon said:

Reading the posts on here it's like nobody noticed that things changed in the past to create a world that would be unrecognisable to people from that past.

A world that those people couldn't conceive of......and wouldn't believe if you showed them a video of it..........****, they'd think the video was "witchcraft"

It's like they can't conceive of a world that would be different to the one that they cling to.

It can't be different to the one that their imaginations (if they ever had any) have shriveled away to nothing in?

Like it all stops here?

Is that what they really think?.....It all stops just they way they like it?.......really?

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Two very childish posts in a row. Well done you. 

Small increases in registrations year on year are all that will be seen until purely selfish benefits of owning electric are more apparent, or regulations finally prohibit purchasing of petrol vehicles. Whichever comes first. 

Sorry for not posting a dozen smilies at the end of this message, but I'm hoping you'll still be able to understand it. ????????