Thai Navy conditionally approves ship engine to power China-built submarine

webfact

6 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Exactly what does this mean - Reading this in its current form it means absolutely nothing ..

It means the Thais are giving the Chinese conditions of acceptance.  Somebody has tp put their foot down.

1 hour ago, Gknrd said:

In other words, the Chinese will steal, then copy the plans of the German engine and build it for Thailand. Sounds like business as usual..

These engines are already in use.

As I understand it ( and bear in mind I am a simple soldier, and my webbed feet brethren can confirmor deny this), the critical thing about a submarines propulsion system is silence whilst submerged, so that lantern jawed Jack Hawkins lookalikes cannot track it whilst submerged.

Now submarines use two methods of propulsion whilst submerged - electric motors which are silent, but depend on the efficacy of the diesel engines used on the surface to charge the batteries, and the diesel engines running on "snorkels". So the critical question is: will the Chinese knock offs of the German engines be as good as charging the batteries, and will the Singapore/Malacca Straits listening apparatus be able to hear them snorkeling as they trundle down the Gulf of Thailand en route to sowing awe amongst their neighbours?

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

As I understand it ( and bear in mind I am a simple soldier, and my webbed feet brethren can confirmor deny this), the critical thing about a submarines propulsion system is silence whilst submerged, so that lantern jawed Jack Hawkins lookalikes cannot track it whilst submerged.

Now submarines use two methods of propulsion whilst submerged - electric motors which are silent, but depend on the efficacy of the diesel engines used on the surface to charge the batteries, and the diesel engines running on "snorkels". So the critical question is: will the Chinese knock offs of the German engines be as good as charging the batteries, and will the Singapore/Malacca Straits listening apparatus be able to hear them snorkeling as they trundle down the Gulf of Thailand en route to sowing awe amongst their neighbours?

I don't know how quiet these engines are but small diesel/electric subs are not expected to be stealthy for more than a short duration (electric only) anyway. Greater battery charging capability is obviously preferred but the efficiency of the batteries themselves is at least as important. Use of diesels, either surfaced or snorkeling means that running silent is out of the question. Even the use of electrical propulsion makes some noise.

Submarines near Singapore and most of the Malacca Straits will encounter similar depth restrictions as those in the Gulf of Thailand but heavy traffic background noise in the busy straits would help mask engine and prop noise. 

11 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Of course Thailand needs submarines, the same as any maritime nation dependent upon the ocean for its oil/gas and trade. Not so much as an offensive/defensive weapon, but to train officers and crew and allow rapid force expansion if the worst should ever happen. The most important strategic reason is to allow Thailand to develop a credible anti-submarine deterrent force. To do this, it needs real subs to practice on (and to fight back).

The more you say it, the more I believe you. Thailand has not had submarines for around 50 years or more. Who will train them?

Who in the Thai navy can speak either English or Chinese competently enough to learn just from those sources?

Would you want to dive with these guys?  

Even if they managed to accomplish the maintenance?

In a Chinese made vessel with a fake engine?

Edited by Bundooman

12 hours ago, Gknrd said:

In other words, the Chinese will steal, then copy the plans of the German engine and build it for Thailand. Sounds like business as usual..

not a technician, I think.....you don't steal engine plans and just build it....it is not like copy Microsoft Office.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

13.5 billion baht (U.S. $369 million)

Divided by - 'Its use would have to be in the Andaman Sea which has a total Thailand coastline of about 949km covering 6 provinces.'  How much to protect ONE kilometre of Thai coast and who will be the invading enemy?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Of course Thailand needs submarines, the same as any maritime nation dependent upon the ocean for its oil/gas and trade. Not so much as an offensive/defensive weapon, but to train officers and crew and allow rapid force expansion if the worst should ever happen. The most important strategic reason is to allow Thailand to develop a credible anti-submarine deterrent force. To do this, it needs real subs to practice on (and to fight back).

To fight back against who exactly? The Laos navy ?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Who in the Thai navy can speak either English or Chinese competently enough to learn just from those sources?

So you really think there is absolutely no one in the entire navy who speaks good English? What ridiculous nonsense.

Just now, Taboo2 said:

What is the purpose of these submarines?  They will not last two minutes if the shooting starts....especially with a first class Naval power.

It will not be used, it is the top boy's toy.....................:coffee1:

On 4/28/2023 at 10:18 AM, webfact said:

The Chinese Navy would have until June to guarantee the modified ship engine’s safety

last minute thought, could it be the Russia army commander the supplier of such modified engine  555

Russian army commander arrested for ‘selling tank engines

https://www.yahoo.com/news/russian-army-commander-arrested-selling-195401327.html