Local expat needs help after motorbike incident

snoop1130

11 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Not just UK, but they seem to be the nationality with the connections that get them into the media for fundraising.  My German friend had a very nasty accident on his 'big bike' and spent several months in hospital accumulating a huge bill. Didn't get reported in the media. Had to make a major call on family back in Germany. Sadly ended up with a severe and permanent disability and returned back to Munich.

Another expat mate of mine was killed in Saraburi in October last year. Out on his bike on a Saturday morning and an SUV just drove clean over him.  Its all too common. Almost exactly the same kind of 'accident' that killed my wife's uncle in Udon. I'm a lifelong biker and ran DSA Direct Access riding courses for a time back in the UK also was IAM Car and Bike Observer and Examiner but I stay off two wheels in Thailand - getting on a bike here is attempted suicide...

Absolutely agree or if you insist at least buy insurance that covers your funeral expenses! 

Edited by Venom

9 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

I agree that I don’t know much about his situation. That is because although he has written the post himself, he has proffered very little information, other than that he wants people to give him money.

I don’t know how old he is, if he lives here permanently or for just a few months each year. I don’t know if he owns a house or a condo, or a car here, because he has not disclosed much at all apart from the fact that he wants monetary donations.

People need to take responsibility for themselves, especially if you are living in a foreign country. You need to have sufficient insurance if you drive or ride in Thailand, or sufficient personal funds as a safeguard.

You cannot just live here hand to mouth as a foreigner, and then expect everyone else to bail you out if you have unexpected expenses that you have not made provisions for.

I think the go fund me situation that we see today is a modern form of insurance without having to pay premiums . If the majority of foreigners contributed when there are people in need there would be less need for very expensive insurance premiums . 

I would make a demand that the person in need must use a government hospital as the private  hospitals are overcharging to put it politly .

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, malibukid said:

why doesn't the NHS cover its citizens abroad. it would save the UK taxpayers millions.  

NHS treatment is locality based not subscription based, you have to reside in the UK to be eligible for treatment. As an expat you are off the radar as far as any help from government or any other organisation is concerned, that should be recognized before leaving the UK. 

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Good point, he is (or was) in business. He should have been contributing to Thai Social Security? 

As a director he can opt out of his personal social payments. If employee then company/employee MUST pay contributions.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, malibukid said:

why doesn't the NHS cover its citizens abroad. it would save the UK taxpayers millions.  

not sure how you do your math.

my understanding is that countries lose a lot of money when citizens take their pension checks abroad because the pensioners are not spending any money in the local economy. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"4 operations later the the insurance money has run out and there are a further 2 options required, one of which will be tomorrow"

To be able to pay such unexpected costs, is exactly why expats are required to show 400,000 or 800,000 Baht in the bank, when extending their visa's. 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Xonax said:

"4 operations later the the insurance money has run out and there are a further 2 options required, one of which will be tomorrow"

To be able to pay such unexpected costs, is exactly why expats are required to show 400,000 or 800,000 Baht in the bank, when extending their visa's. 

Yes, but border bouncing without having such funds is considered a legal alternative here.

7 hours ago, it is what it is said:

exactly. if you're going to ride a motorcycle make sure you wear a helmet, appropriate clothing and have adequate insurance, it's a no brainer.

personally, i wouldn't go near a motorcycle, not because i can't ride but because i don't trust the other guy.

The main problem is motor bike riders themselves, the way many of them abuse the road laws, it's only a matter of time.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kennw said:

The main problem is motor bike riders themselves, the way many of them abuse the road laws, it's only a matter of time.

Never thought this before, but I have been driving a car for the past several months you are 100 % correct they are the main problem. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

This is becoming a regular article, foreigners needing money from motorbike accident 

Really, have not seen that many these last few months.