Local expat needs help after motorbike incident

snoop1130

32 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

M8, The U.K. Embassy & Helpful DO NOT belong in the same sentence.....THEY Will NOT Repatriate you If yer SKINT With NO Means to repay them....

Do you know the meaning of 555?

Obviously NOT: so for you: Hahahahahahaha????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Can't put it more plainly, many thanks. Sympathy for the poor guy but it was his choice to ride a moto. There are alternative and safer forms of transport available.

Safer forms of transport available, you're having a laugh this is no licence brain dead Thailand 

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

The guy says he needs help. Either fork over some money or don't.  Never seen so many people who want to give a lecture. 

Maybe because of the text on the Fund me page:

Those who know Richard will attest to his many contributions to the Phuket and Thailand community.  Its time to give back. 

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

The guy says he needs help. Either fork over some money or don't.  Never seen so many people who want to give a lecture. 

Right, I have more respect for someone that just asks, rather then reading a long winded story about their life problems and what led up to the incident.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Did he set up his 'go fund me' page?   how much has been raised I wonder ...

anyway, good luck bike man.

Click on the link in the OP and then on the link in the article:

12,213 THB / 260,000 THB

Raised by 6 persons in 2 days
  • Thanks 1

Hi fella similar happened to me a few years back (ran over by drunk thai) My advice if poss get the hell back to the UK to get sorted. Thai Drs really really messed me up , UK Drs shocked and horrified what the butchers in Thailand did 6 years ago and 14 operations later (10 in uk)  I may still loose my leg down to those idiots. All the best my friend

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Northstar1 said:

If they don’t have insurance, don’t let them in!

period!

we will be reading of yet another victim tomorrow!

when will people wake up?

You think people are going to just "wake up"? What exactly does that mean anyway? That the world shall change according to your or someone else's opinions? Your comment is neither practical nor constructive. I suggest you not run for prime minister. 

3 hours ago, bigupandchill said:

Is there a case to be made that this type of thing negatively effects the locals perception of other brits in thailand, and gives ammunition to those here that would like to see fewer foreigners in the kingdom?

In a word, no. The perception of Brits or others remains the same no matter what. A country that derives most of its income from tourism is never going to discourage foreigners from entering. The only thing that I imagine might change is medical insurance requirements, but those are already in place for certain types of visas like the O-A. But it's doubtful that such insurance requirements would cover major unforeseen catastrophes like this one. If anything, hopefully, stories like this will encourage people to be sure of their own coverage. It certainly gives me pause, although I have a substantial emergency savings fund, which I don't touch,  of about 350,000 baht available if needed. Otherwise I actually make very little, about 50,000 baht per month. And I don't drive or own a motorbike. 

On 4/28/2023 at 12:13 PM, HauptmannUK said:

I'm a lifelong biker and ran DSA Direct Access riding courses for a time back in the UK also was IAM Car and Bike Observer and Examiner but I stay off two wheels in Thailand - getting on a bike here is attempted suicide...

Really puts this place in perspective with those comments from a pro instructor.

• Love It 1

9 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

In a word, no. The perception of Brits or others remains the same no matter what. A country that derives most of its income from tourism is never going to discourage foreigners from entering. The only thing that I imagine might change is medical insurance requirements, but those are already in place for certain types of visas like the O-A. But it's doubtful that such insurance requirements would cover major unforeseen catastrophes like this one. If anything, hopefully, stories like this will encourage people to be sure of their own coverage. It certainly gives me pause, although I have a substantial emergency savings fund, which I don't touch,  of about 350,000 baht available if needed. Otherwise I actually make very little, about 50,000 baht per month. And I don't drive or own a motorbike. 

bog standard mandatory tourist insurance policies would be hugely expensive if they included cover for motorcycle riding and other risky activities. the situation would be the same; it is up to the individual to ensure they have relevant and appropriate insurance for the activities they undertake. people have to stop this reckless 'entitlement' behaviour expecting complete strangers to bail them out when things go wrong.

9 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Thanks for your info. As yet we don't know which applies. As per an earlier posting the cause of his injury was a road traffic accident so unfortunately he wouldn't be entitled to receive treatment under the Thai National Health Service. 

He would. Illness and accidents are covered.

• Thumbs Up 2

Health insurance seemed insufficient. It is all a matter of choice.: you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. Maybe go back to the UK and enjoy free health care? Anyway: feeling sorry for him, so speedy recovery!

Edited by toho

6 hours ago, dirtybirty said:

Hi fella similar happened to me a few years back (ran over by drunk thai) My advice if poss get the hell back to the UK to get sorted. Thai Drs really really messed me up , UK Drs shocked and horrified what the butchers in Thailand did 6 years ago and 14 operations later (10 in uk)  I may still loose my leg down to those idiots. All the best my friend

agree, if a uk citizen get back asap. anyone planning on leaving the uk make sure you get and stay registered with a GP

• Like 1