New Car - breaking in an engine?

3 hours ago, transam said:

Like I said, I am a bit old school with ANY engine when new or refurbished.

With a new car/engine, I change the oil and filter at 1000 km, what ever the handbook says.

I also do not use hi-revs until that oil and filter change is done.

My early engine management idea has served me well on all the engines I dealt wiv over the years..........Even my heavy weight 7,000 rpm 6.8 V8 with nitrous.........:stoner:

I agree with being gentle with cars initially.

Back in the day, I had 5 company cars. 4 Mitsubishis and a GM product.

Standard practice was to hand the cars back after 120,000 km, then select a new one from  5 brands.

The cars which were handed back went on two paths - back to the dealer, or lower echelon employees could submit bids to take them over. Some of the cars handed in were treated as if they had leprosy. E.g one sales type who ran his vehicle for 120,000 km without an oil change.

OTOH, all the Mitsubishis I handed in sparked bidding wars, because everyone knew I was a stickler for regular maintenance, and addressing any problems immediately.

The only vehicle which did not get a bid was the GM product, due to inherent NVH issues.

Nowadays, your 6.8 L V8 would have a hard time against a turbo diesel half its size on normal fuel and oxidant. Although I haven't heard of anyone feeding a TD nitrous oxide.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I agree with being gentle with cars initially.

Back in the day, I had 5 company cars. 4 Mitsubishis and a GM product.

Standard practice was to hand the cars back after 120,000 km, then select a new one from  5 brands.

The cars which were handed back went on two paths - back to the dealer, or lower echelon employees could submit bids to take them over. Some of the cars handed in were treated as if they had leprosy. E.g one sales type who ran his vehicle for 120,000 km without an oil change.

OTOH, all the Mitsubishis I handed in sparked bidding wars, because everyone knew I was a stickler for regular maintenance, and addressing any problems immediately.

The only vehicle which did not get a bid was the GM product, due to inherent NVH issues.

Nowadays, your 6.8 L V8 would have a hard time against a turbo diesel half its size on normal fuel and oxidant. Although I haven't heard of anyone feeding a TD nitrous oxide.

My old 6.8 saw off Turbo petrol cars on the strip at the time.....

Any car can be hopped up with N2O.

• Thumbs Up 1

When I picked up my car, the professional seeming sales and finance people handover me over to Somchai Yaba  to demonstrate the car features, wasn't thinking fast enough to decline, he drove like a bat out of hell, rapid acceleration, swerving all over the road to demonstrate ABS or some feature like that, and breaking like he was doing an emergency stop in a driving test. I didnt worry about breaking it in after that... if it has delivery miles on the clock it's probably been broken in Thai style ????

Edited by Snugs08

23 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Modern cars have engines which are already run in at the factory. My son has just bought a new car, the first service is at 15,000 km.

A fussbudget like me would probably change the oil after 500 km, but that would be the extent of any extra care.

Modern cars are not run in at the factory, that’s a fact.  Anyone saying they do is wrong. 
I always run in my new cars by first, not over reving the engine, always keeping the revs well below the red line.

Varying the load/speed up and down the rev range and always well below the red line on the revs. I do this for at least 500 miles. At 1000 miles I change the engine oil, (or take it to the dealership to change it) always using the recommended grade for the car and the correct oil filter. 
Stick to the scheduled service intervals and your engine will thank you for it. ????

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, transam said:

My old 6.8 saw off Turbo petrol cars on the strip at the time.....

Any car can be hopped up with N2O.

Turbo petrol is not the same as turbo diesel, compare the torque output.

I get it, you're a revhead who loves the throb of a V8. Just like Harley Davidson owners love the world's biggest vibrators.

One of the funniest races I saw many years ago was between Sir Gawaine Baillie's 7 litre Ford Galaxie, and a Mini Cooper, at Sandown racetrack in Melbourne. The Ford would overhaul the Cooper on the long straight there, only to have the Mini slip through on the inside on the bend. One could almost hear the suspension of the Ford twanging.

2 minutes ago, Dazkkk said:

Modern cars are not run in at the factory, that’s a fact.  Anyone saying they do is wrong. 
I always run in my new cars by first, not over reving the engine, always keeping the revs well below the red line.

Varying the load/speed up and down the rev range and always well below the red line on the revs. I do this for at least 500 miles. At 1000 miles I change the engine oil, (or take it to the dealership to change it) always using the recommended grade for the car and the correct oil filter. 
Stick to the scheduled service intervals and your engine will thank you for it. ????

Saying something is a fact does not make it so, unless you have an authoritative link to back it up. Which another poster has already failed to provide.

I suggest you Google the term "begging the question".

How do you explain the fact my son's Hyundai Kona N has an operator's manual which does not specify any vehicle break-in procedure, and the first scheduled service is at 15,000 km?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Saying something is a fact does not make it so, unless you have an authoritative link to back it up. Which another poster has already failed to provide.

I suggest you Google the term "begging the question".

How do you explain the fact my son's Hyundai Kona N has an operator's manual which does not specify any vehicle break-in procedure, and the first scheduled service is at 15,000 km?

Here is what JD. Power thinks on the subject, I think we can take notice of JDP......????

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/do-you-need-to-break-in-a-new-engine

6 minutes ago, transam said:

Here is what JD. Power thinks on the subject, I think we can take notice of JDP......????

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/do-you-need-to-break-in-a-new-engine

There are opinions, and there are recommendations by the car manufacturers. Or lack of them, as the case may be.

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There are opinions, and there are recommendations by the car manufacturers. Or lack of them, as the case may be.

Hey, you were wrong about all engines are run-in at factory, just accept it.....:stoner:

https://www.meridianhonda.com/blog/do-new-car-engines-still-have-a-break-in-period/#:~:text=How do I break-in,won't take very long.

Edited by transam
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Dazkkk said:

The thing is how long do people keep their motors now, theysn be abused and you wouldn't know if the motors kept tidy. 

When I bought my BMW in LA they recommended oil (Synthetic) change every 15000 miles. Oil light was set to turn on on 15500 miles (after 15000 there will be no oil, sludge only). I never waited that far, in fact I did oil change every 3000 miles. This is what the manufacturer don't want since they want their cars get old faster and users replace for a new one after not too long. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Turbo petrol is not the same as turbo diesel, compare the torque output.

Plenty of petrol V8 turbo's are making big HP and big Torque.

In Aus they have 6cyls are making 1500+ HP with a torque curve to match !!

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, In the jungle said:

Here's an idea.

Do what it says in the owner's handbook.

That is sage advice however,

Ford Ranger Australia first service - 1000km.

Ford Ranger Thailand first service - 15000km.

Seems even the OEM's are confused !

52 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

That is sage advice however,

Ford Ranger Australia first service - 1000km.

Ford Ranger Thailand first service - 15000km.

Seems even the OEM's are confused !

I know of other similar examples:

Suzuki Thailand Thai language owner's manual first service - 1000km

Suzuki Thailand English language owner's manual first service - 15000km 

Manufacturers are, however, pretty consistent in terms of what they say about engine running in/break in procedure.

2 hours ago, transam said:

Please direct me to where I posted ALL engines are run-in at factory.

8 hours ago, In the jungle said:

Please post a link showing that any mass produced car engine is run in at the factory.

I don't have one, and I am not going to waste my time ferreting around in cyberspace for one.

Hyundai has a reputation for reliability. My son's Kona N, one of their topline products, has no specifications in the manual about running in the vehicle. The first service is at 15,000 km.

Do you really think Hyundai would risk their brand name by putting their engines out into the marketplace, without running them in first?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Please direct me to where I posted ALL engines are run-in at factory.

It's OK chum, I think you have been pointed in the right direction now regarding factory engine run-in.

Your relative's brand is of no interest, as we are talking general engine run-in.

Daft to dig a bigger hole..????

It would surprise me that any modern engines are ‘run in’ at the factory (thats just inefficient). 

It surprises me that any modern engine needs ‘running in’... manufacturing is now excellent.

It surprises me that anyone with a new car considers 'running in’ of their engine - this is not something I’ve thought of for the past 20 years or so when getting a new a car. 

So, is this now a ‘thing of the past’ and will electric cars require ‘running in’ ?.... (never heard they have).

Is there any part of the large electric motors that require this? and other moving parts of the vehicle which require this ???

I guess the answer to the Ops question is: If someone wants to take the care and run in their engine thats up to them, but I don’t think this is a concern with modern ICE vehicles at all these days. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It surprises me that any modern engine needs ‘running in’... manufacturing is now excellent.

https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-life/break-in-a-new-car.html#pwjt-4

BMW reccomends a light break in. Mrecedes reccomends similar for 1500 km

Corvette C7s and C8s actually put a breakin redline on the tach until 1500 km 

On the C7 Corvette, to give owners a guide to driving responsibly while the driveline components bedded in,  engineers programmed "a variable red line on the tach to give drivers a visual indication on when it would be advisable to take it easy on the car.   

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It would surprise me that any modern engines are ‘run in’ at the factory (thats just inefficient). 

It surprises me that anyone with a new car considers 'running in’ of their engine - this is not something I’ve thought of for the past 20 years or so when getting a new a car. 

So, is this now a ‘thing of the past’ and will electric cars require ‘running in’ ?.... (never heard they have).

Is there any part of the large electric motors that require this? and other moving parts of the vehicle which require this ???

I guess the answer to the Ops question is: If someone wants to take the care and run in their engine thats up to them, but I don’t think this is a concern with modern ICE vehicles at all these days. 

Everything motoring has moved on, that is why most manufacturers don't worry too much about engine run-in, but, I can tell you I have found cr_p in new parts I was fitting in rebuilds, so I never take anything for granted that assembly at factory is 100% all of the time.

Let an engine do its thing for a while then change the oil and filter at 1000 km, it will be happy with that and will serve you well.

The video that I posted I think explains the basics for those who know nothing, or are confused, or dig holes...????

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

MG Australia recommends (carsguide.au.com)

image.png.eedc9c5d6e93579abf7af799ba498889.png

On 5/2/2023 at 4:40 PM, Lacessit said:

How do you explain the fact my son's Hyundai Kona N has an operator's manual which does not specify any vehicle break-in procedure, 

crafty people that mob are...built in obsolesence 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I don't have one, and I am not going to waste my time ferreting around in cyberspace for one.

Hyundai has a reputation for reliability. My son's Kona N, one of their topline products, has no specifications in the manual about running in the vehicle. The first service is at 15,000 km.

Do you really think Hyundai would risk their brand name by putting their engines out into the marketplace, without running them in first?

That's because they used secondhand Japanese engines from cars only 3 years old bought in from Japan.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

What brand name? It's a Hyundai for goodness sakes, not an Aston Martin.

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

What brand name? It's a Hyundai for goodness sakes, not an Aston Martin.

Perhaps you have been asleep while the Koreans have been taking over the mass market from the Japanese.

The figures say brands such as Honda, Nissan and Subaru are being supplanted by Hyundai and Kia.

Aston Martin is very much a niche luxury brand.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

That's because they used secondhand Japanese engines from cars only 3 years old bought in from Japan.

You have a link to prove that ridiculous statement?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1