How good is Thailand?

Living the dream in smoke.  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Thailand's great. We all know the air isn't.

Depends where you live, down on the peninsular the air is generally very good, so I don't consider I'm sacrificing any years of my life expectancy due to poor air. My diet in Thailand is probably better than it would be in the west, and my life is fairly stress free. So over all I'm probably adding to my life expectancy rather than subtracting.  

• Love It 1

thailand is the best country in the world which is why I choose to live here. 

There simply is no place better place on earth to live.

If there was I would move there.

Move south if you want good air.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

"Life expectancy for men and women

A male child born in the United States today will live to be 74.5 years old on average. This puts the male citizens of the US in 47th place in this ranking. On average, US women are 5.7 years older, reaching an age of 80.2. The world average age of death is a few years lower at 69.8 years for men and 74.9 years for women. Within the European Union, these are 77.8 and 83.3 years respectively.

Thailand (males) 75.0 years, (females) 83.7 years"

https://www.worlddata.info/life-expectancy.php

• Like 1

Thailand's great. We all know the air isn't. If we accept that on average polluted air reduces life span then how much lifespan are you willing to exchange?

I think that while people are willing to live somewhere, even if someone says they will live a shorter life, they aren't willing to put a figure on it.

Your life is just your life.  We have no idea how long we will live or how/when we will die.

You could choose to live in the West and not be harmed by pollution, but then die sooner due to stress.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thailand's great. We all know the air isn't

Nothing wrong with the air where I live. 

It's all about location, location, location, you guys want to live in the sticks, on the dark side you'll get the filth, I'm not too far from the beach, pay more for land but much better for your health. 

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

We're talking about farang not Thais, of course people need money to access good healthcare

Yep paid 1,700 for medical care today next appointment check up 4 months. 

6 hours ago, 2009 said:

Why not 50/50?

Spend half the year back West and half the year in Thailand. Best of both.

Don't the coastal areas in Thailand have good air?

Have you been there?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

she's HOT .... ????????

Probably works up quite a sweat just breathing. Best advice for 'happy time' would be to roll her in flour and aim for a wet spot. And pray you don't get an armpit. 

38 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yep paid 1,700 for medical care today next appointment check up 4 months. 

Yeah a lot of checkups, tests etc are cheap, the problem is the big ticket items, ICU 100k a day in some private hospitals

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

You can find areas in Thailand with very little average air pollution, I'm as Okay here as I was in my home country...:thumbsup:

Definitely! I think we all agree that April is too hot for comfort (especially this year). No escaping that unless leave the Country. 

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yeah a lot of checkups, tests etc are cheap, the problem is the big ticket items, ICU 100k a day in some private hospitals

Nah ICU not conscious last legs Mrs under instruction to put me in the freezer. ????

1 hour ago, Goat said:

thailand is the best country in the world which is why I choose to live here. 

There simply is no place better place on earth to live.

If there was I would move there.

Move south if you want good air.

What do you base that on? 

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

I'm 55 too. I moved here for a job in 2008, but have been coming since I was about 7 years old (in 1974).

I like living here because Bangkok is a nice big city with all the mod cons (now) and it continues to improve as they modernise it more and more. 

But if I could move to another country I would.  I've got a European GF and we'd both much rather live in the UK, we just can't afford to at the moment.  I'm working on a plan to move there in the next 5 years hopefully. 

I've lived all my life in Asia and I'm sick of living in foreign countries.

You may well get sick of the UK in short order, when you get back, finding out how expensive it is now to do anything.........:blink:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Think about this every day. I'm 55. I answered 3. But that's "likely" to be 10% of my remaining years. That's quite a tax.

we're not forced to stay in heavily polluted areas though.

11 minutes ago, bignok said:

What are you going to do at age 88?

Go out with a bang and that final tick off the bucket-list perhaps..... 

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Ride my bike on bike trips.

... not that sort of bang... :whistling: 

I don't want to sound ‘agiest’ but I’m not sure riding a motorcycle is a good idea at that age.... Good luck to anyone sprightly enough at 88 years old to feel confident enough to ride though... 

• Thumbs Up 1