How good is Thailand?

Living the dream in smoke.  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Go out with a bang and that final tick off the bucket-list perhaps..... 

... not that sort of bang... :whistling: 

I don't want to sound ‘agiest’ but I’m not sure riding a motorcycle is a good idea at that age.... Good luck to anyone sprightly enough at 88 years old to feel confident enough to ride though... 

On my visit to Pattaya, I saw ageing farangy's, not looking tooooo healthy, after riding the local bikes....... ????

Mind you, they are all probably dead by now....????

The important part is this: "off the end of your life"

It's one more time for this wonderful quote from Jack Nightingale in Stephen Leather’s Nightmare:

Nightingale blew smoke up at the sky. ‘Everybody dies,’ he said. ‘Life is a zero sum game. The best you can do is to enjoy yourself as you go along.’
‘But smoking shortens your life.’
‘Maybe. But it only takes the years from the end of your life. Not the beginning or the middle.’
Jenny looked at him, confused. ‘I have absolutely no idea what you mean.’
Nightingale took another drag on his cigarette before continuing. ‘Say I live until I’m seventy-five without smoking. And say I die at seventy if I do smoke. I lose five years. But really, Jenny, what am I going to be doing during those five years? Sitting in a bedsit somewhere watching the football, assuming I’ve enough of a pension to be able to afford Sky Sport?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's one more time for this wonderful quote from Jack Nightingale in Stephen Leather’s Nightmare:

Nightingale blew smoke up at the sky. ‘Everybody dies,’ he said. ‘Life is a zero sum game. The best you can do is to enjoy yourself as you go along.’
‘Maybe. But it only takes the years from the end of your life. Not the beginning or the middle.’
Nightingale took another drag on his cigarette before continuing. ‘Say I live until I’m seventy-five without smoking. And say I die at seventy if I do smoke. I lose five years. But really, Jenny, what am I going to be doing during those five years? Sitting in a bedsit somewhere watching the football, assuming I’ve enough of a pension to be able to afford Sky Sport?

At age 70 to 80 you could be sleeping with a 30yo woman. Easy to do if fit. You could also be driving around the country.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, transam said:

On my visit to Pattaya, I saw ageing farangy's, not looking tooooo healthy, after riding the local bikes....... ????

Mind you, they are all probably dead by now....????

Dead from riding ????‍???? ???? ???? ☠️ or, erm.... riding ???? ???? ???? ???? ☠️  ????

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bignok said:
17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Expand  

At age 70 to 80 you could be sleeping with a 30yo woman. Easy to do if fit. You could also be driving around the country.

The money saved from not smoking has to get put to use somewhere in this ‘zero sum game’... !!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Go out with a bang and that final tick off the bucket-list perhaps..... 

... not that sort of bang... :whistling: 

I don't want to sound ‘agiest’ but I’m not sure riding a motorcycle is a good idea at that age.... Good luck to anyone sprightly enough at 88 years old to feel confident enough to ride though... 

Fair call but riding my bike is my plan, of course tiMe will tell but I don't like to think negative.

Met a guy on a Bm boxer years ago in Germany he was 86.

Follow him on the autobaan he was was spot on,  you wouldn't say he was a bad rider. ????????

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Maybe you would think that.

Again negative thoughts.

Yes, funny how some must look for negativity, probably the non-adventurous folk, sofa dwellers.......????

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Any place is paradise if you have money.

Yep my pub in Muang Kao 3 large bottles of Chang beers a pack of Lays Max crisps a large load of white bread, 4 babacued pork balls and 4 fish balls. 226 baht. 

Ride home no helmet luv it. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Maybe you would think that.

Again negative thoughts.

85yos break bones far more easily than 40yos. 85yo riding a motorbike is asking for trouble. Not negative, just reality. Drive a car at 85yo. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, bignok said:

85yos break bones far more easily than 40yos. 85yo riding a motorbike is asking for trouble. Not negative, just reality. Drive a car at 85yo. 

Stupid agest thing to post age doesn't mean you have to stop doing what you love to do.

You opinion is for plonkers IMHO enjoy your life whatever the risks. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Stupid agest thing to post age doesn't mean you have to stop doing what you love to do.

Do they have 85yo boxers? Not ageist. It is just facts.

1 hour ago, DJ54 said:

IMO a silly question who would give up any amount of years to live for any country….

Just imagine you would live 10 years longer if you would move to Iran or North Korea or pick whatever you don't like. Would you move?

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

According to a study published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, broken bones have a long-lasting effect in older individuals. Specifically, this injury can increase death risk for up to 10 years after the incident and may be a catalyst for other adverse health events.

https://westhartfordhealth.com/news/rehabilitation/broken-bones-elderly/

30 minutes ago, bignok said:

Do they have 85yo boxers? Not ageist. It is just facts.

Boxing and martial arts fighting has nothing to do with riding a motorbike or driving a car/truck.

What's wrong with you.

20 hours ago, Hummin said:

Today is today, tomorrow is to tomorrow, one thing I have learned in Thailand.

I escape Thailand during the worst smoke, heat and pollution.

yes good idea, you probably live up north then.. Why not move??

2 hours ago, glegolo18 said:

yes good idea, you probably live up north then.. Why not move??

Why should I move when I enjoy living there most of the year and travel 50-60 days inside thailand a year, work 3-4 months in Europe. Contrasts is great, never boring

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:
4 hours ago, bignok said:

No disrespect, but is it agiest to state the obvious ??? 

I think there is intelligent balance in the middle ground here... 

Slip over at 85 yrs old and bust a hip...  at 40 yrs old, roll and get up !!...     of course, that doesn't mean we have to give up what we love, but it also doesn’t mean we shouldn’t consider the evolution of our risk as we age. 

There is stuff I don’t try now in my 40’s that I used to... (i.e. skiing at 100kmh, flips on a wakeboard etc)...  

I think the comment about riding a motorcycle at 85 yrs old is a valid point, what would be a ‘minor off’ for someone in their 40’s or 60’s could be a complete game changer for someone in their 80’s... 

I play still play football and I can see how much slower my reaction is than the 20 year olds and how much faster it is than the 50 year olds... thats just life, we slow down, our speed, reaction, perception changes at an imperceptible rate such that we don’t notice until placed in position of direct comparison.

That doesn’t mean stop doing what we love... go for it, we all have to make our own choices - but, make these choices with informed intelligence rather than blind ambition may see us fit to continue enjoying all the other things we also love. 

8 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Boxing and martial arts fighting has nothing to do with riding a motorbike or driving a car/truck.

What's wrong with you.

Back at you. Go tell a doctor you want to ride motorbikes at 85yo.

Crazy to think that isnt dangerous.

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe the question should be asked slightly differently:

How much would you give if you would live with her and her sisters until the end of your life?

bar-girl-rates.jpg.7a16318ccc878051be41d399d00aa1ec.jpg

Bowl of noodles

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No disrespect, but is it agiest to state the obvious ??? 

I think there is intelligent balance in the middle ground here... 

Slip over at 85 yrs old and bust a hip...  at 40 yrs old, roll and get up !!...     of course, that doesn't mean we have to give up what we love, but it also doesn’t mean we shouldn’t consider the evolution of our risk as we age. 

There is stuff I don’t try now in my 40’s that I used to... (i.e. skiing at 100kmh, flips on a wakeboard etc)...  

I think the comment about riding a motorcycle at 85 yrs old is a valid point, what would be a ‘minor off’ for someone in their 40’s or 60’s could be a complete game changer for someone in their 80’s... 

I play still play football and I can see how much slower my reaction is than the 20 year olds and how much faster it is than the 50 year olds... thats just life, we slow down, our speed, reaction, perception changes at an imperceptible rate such that we don’t notice until placed in position of direct comparison.

That doesn’t mean stop doing what we love... go for it, we all have to make our own choices - but, make these choices with informed intelligence rather than blind ambition may see us fit to continue enjoying all the other things we also love. 

Fair call it's just younger people telling me I'm crazy if I'm riding a motorbike at 85 is their opinion nothing more, as said many times know your limitations.

I won't do 270kph like i do sometimes now. ????