Two German Pedestrians Seriously Injured After Being Hit by Sedan in Pattaya

webfact

To all the people commenting on the pedestrians' actions, have they seen the video? Admittedly not at a crossing, but they've quite calmly crossed one side of the road (the side the car that hit them came down) and were standing on the centre line waiting for traffic to pass on the other side before crossing further. It was the car's left side that cleaned them up, so not sure where the driver was headed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That has to be a fake plate on the car.  I have never seen one like it, with no numbers on it.

EDIT:  nevermind.  The linked article shows the actual plate number.  They must have edited for this site.

Edited by rwill

4 hours ago, webfact said:

he sedan driver, Mr. Pakasit Noodang, 42, was waiting for law enforcement at the scene and was described by rescue workers and police as cooperative.

and was he drunk ?

either way he should be paying hospital bills and compensation for being an idiot

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seeall said:

well, tourists especially CN love to wander in the middle of the road.....  not sorry at all for them...  its a road not a walkway!

Maybe they forgot cars are right hand drive here and did not expect the car to be coming from the left.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

From the link:

A witness, a motorbike taxi driver named Mr. Wirat Yimyam, 45, told the Pattaya News team that the sedan was driving at about 40-60 kilometers per hour before turning left onto Pattaya Second Road and hitting both pedestrians

No left turn to 2nd Rd from there. There is a shortcut, past Peace Hotel and the back of Best supermarket, that leads to Pattaya Nua (North Road).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tgw said:

I wonder what the driver's excuse will be as to why he could not react in time to avoid the collision.

"I was sitting in my parked car when suddenly I saw two Farrangs running very fast towards me ...."

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Crossing the road is very serious business in Thailand. No regard is given to pedestrians. One must do so without extreme care. Especially if one has been drinking. 

Second road has designated pedestrian crossings. But I have seen many drunk people attempting to cross the road anywhere they want, especially late at night when traffic is thin and when traffic is thin many people also drive at high speed (I assume the limit on that road is 40 km/h).

11 hours ago, tgw said:

I wonder what the driver's excuse will be as to why he could not react in time to avoid the collision.

I wonder what the pedestrians excuse will be as to why they didn't take the very brief time to see if there was a vehicle turning. 

Your dumb comment shows the typical attitude these days of people shifting blame onto others in an attempt to release themselves of any responsibility for self care.

• Confused 3

6 hours ago, NextG said:

For those who haven’t seen the video: https://www.77kaoded.com/news/sangk/2434167

The Germans were extremely careful; the driver extremely careless. 

Looks like they were using the normal method to get across the road. I haven't been there for a while but on previous visits I noticed that it was very difficult to find a gap in the traffic that was big enough to let you cross the road in one go.

These dudes have probably done the same thing hundreds of times before, as have I, but this time they were unlucky because of the idiot in the car. 

It is food for thought though. I used to joke that it would be safer to hire a motosai to cross the road in Pattaya. Now maybe a Bolt or Grab SUV would offer the best protection short of a tank or APC ????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drgoon said:

I wonder what the pedestrians excuse will be as to why they didn't take the very brief time to see if there was a vehicle turning. 

Your dumb comment shows the typical attitude these days of people shifting blame onto others in an attempt to release themselves of any responsibility for self care.

From what I see, they were very careful in crossing, probably especially because they had a drink or two. But if the driver pulled out of a side street at speed being more concerned with not being hit himself…. 

That would explain why the driver wasn’t yet in the driving lane. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Full story

There is often such links to 'Full Story", but it rarely is.....just a paragraph more maybe. Was it at a crossing,...there are many on Second Rd. 

Just now, Victor Laszlo said:

Looking at the photo this is Naklua Road about 20 yards from Dolphin Roundabout, outside Somsong beer bar, very dangerous road to cross both day and night.

They all are pal, Second, Rd, Third Rd, Buakhao... even Beach Rd when the traffic dies down. 

• Like 1