One suspect believed to be dead in shooting at Texas mall, source says; police searching for possible second suspect

onthedarkside

image.png.79c0a14f1d1e69cfa78cf0e20a152acb.png

Authorities in a suburb of Dallas are responding to a shooting at an outlet mall, with ATF personnel on the scene at Allen Premium Outlets.

There is at least one confirmed shooter who is being reported as deceased on the ground, a law enforcement source told CNN.

Congressman Keith Self told CNN’s Paula Reid that there are multiple casualties but he declined to specify a number, saying he would leave that information to law enforcement.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/05/06/us/allen-texas-mall-shooter-reports/index.html

CNN.jpg

• Thanks 1

Yet another sad day in Texas

Multiple people shot at Dallas-area outlet mall

WFAA-TV reported that police on the scene said there were multiple victims, including children. Their conditions were not immediately known, but WFAA reported that the Collin County Sheriff said the shooter is dead.

A crowd of hundreds of people who had been shopping stood outside, across the street from the mall, Saturday evening. Officers circulated among them asking if anyone had seen what happened.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/05/06/multiple-people-shot-at-dallas-area-outlet-mall-00095680

(Just seen awful vids on twitter of a dead child)

12 minutes ago, Tug said:

But but but what happened to the good guy with a gun??not to worry governor abbot allready sent the typical thoughts and prayers spiel just beggers belief sad ???? 

The report doesn't say who killed the shooter, unless you know something else.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Tug said:

But but but what happened to the good guy with a gun??

I'm not a big fan of this defense, but in this case an Allen PD officer was at this mall, on an unrelated call, heard gunfire, found the shooter and "neutralized" him, according to the Allen PD Chief in the initial presser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fcsxl_z-gk

I think it's time for Federal and State governments to develop and deliver specific training for citizens which would allow them to utilize basic techniques to survive a shooting incident. This training should be live-fire, and mandatory for all citizens, including infants, children, handicapped persons, and the elderly. "Governor Abbott, serpentine, serpentine."

Maybe the Department of Homeland Security, with their $52 B budget, and 260,000 employees could develop and deliver such a survival course, and start earning their pay and Secure the Homeland.

I think this was a solo shooter, but there will be team-ups, like Columbine, that will use more sophisiticated techniques to increase the body count. We should all prepare for the worst.

I still remember reading about what I think was one of the first mass shootings (UTA, Tower, 1966) and thinking uh oh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Texas_tower_shooting

The shooter, age 2...

Charles_Whitman_1943.jpg

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tug said:

But but but what happened to the good guy with a gun??not to worry governor abbot allready sent the typical thoughts and prayers spiel just beggers belief sad ???? 

Another AR-15 style weapon with an extended clip laying by the shooters body. MTG while praying for the victims then blames it on mental illness, drugs and evil forces.

Nothing to do with the guns of course

I can't describe the images of dead people still doing the rounds on twitter, the injuries are horrific.

• Like 2

UPDATE: Several dead including gunman after shooting at Dallas mall

image.png.589ddc8c9c43b244a168959a6cf591c9.png

Police have confirmed an unspecified number of fatalities in a shooting at a mall in a Dallas suburb. At least eight people between the ages of five and 61 were brought to hospitals.

Video footage from local media showed police officers hurrying shoppers out of the mall, with squad cars and emergency vehicles parked near entries.

Blood could be seen on sidewalks outside the mall and white sheets covering what appeared to be bodies. At least one cellphone video taken by someone outside the mall and circulated on social media showed what appeared to be multiple dead people.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/06/police-respond-to-shooting-in-dallas-mall

5 minutes ago, onthedarkside said:

and 61 were brought to hospitals

Sixty-one!

Wow.

I would expect that a significiant number of these will suffer lifelong health issues including the mental and emotional trauma and scars resulting from the incident.

The gun lobby/industry has got to address the health, and mental well-being of the victims of mass shootings. And by "address" I don't mean 'tots and pears', I mean free and full, lifelong health insurance, and survivor's benefits.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I think that means the ages were between the age of five and age 61 -- not 61 victims brought to the hospital.

Yes, you're right, and I was WRONG.

I guess my anti-gun predisposition kicked in and I saw what I wanted to see?

Reports now say "at least nine victims were transported to the hospital".

I can't say that's "good news" but certainly better than 61. I guess I should have known, but when I remember that ~ 500 were injured in the Las Vegas shooting 61 didn't seem crazy to me.

Thanks for posting that.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Yes, you're right, and I was WRONG.

I guess my anti-gun predisposition kicked in and I saw what I wanted to see?

Reports now say "at least nine victims were transported to the hospital".

I can't say that's "good news" but certainly better than 61. I guess I should have known, but when I remember that ~ 500 were injured in the Las Vegas shooting 61 didn't seem crazy to me.

Thanks for posting that.

OK.

3 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Thank God it's humans that kill and not guns or there could be many more victims.

We're probably not too far from hearing about firearm-equipped drones being used in mass shootings. Then it'll be drones with guns don't kill people, people with drones with guns kill people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Eight dead so far including children. Nothing to do with guns of course.

A gunman killed eight people and wounded seven others – three critically – in a shooting at a Dallas-area mall before being fatally shot by a police officer who happened to be nearby, authorities said Saturday.

Authorities did not immediately provide details about the victims, but witnesses reported seeing children among them. 

https://apnews.com/article/shooting-outlet-mall-allen-texas-a5148bc28d78c69ba0c59967427a2f85

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, James105 said:

It's weird how this keeps happening in a country that allows anyone and everyone to buy guns and not to the same extent in other countries that do not allow anyone and everyone to buy guns.   I can't quite put my finger on why this would be.    

2nd Amendment to the US Constitution:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Written at time when Arms were muzzle-loaded flint locks. Now there are legal claims that 'Arms' also includes AR-15's

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, James105 said:

It's weird how this keeps happening in a country that allows anyone and everyone to buy guns and not to the same extent in other countries that do not allow anyone and everyone to buy guns.   I can't quite put my finger on why this would be.    

Strange isn't it? You'd think if everyone was carring a gun it would be safer......baffling.

The Japanese just don't know what they are missing out on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Time for a class action against the mall on the basis of not providing a safe environment.

Joe Tacopina will be on to this already.

Edited by Will B Good

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

The report doesn't say who killed the shooter, unless you know something else.

A cop killed this one but not untle after he slaughtered 9 shoppers just out shopping at the mall on a Saturday afternoon vote people!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

2nd Amendment to the US Constitution:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Written at time when Arms were muzzle-loaded flint locks. Now there are legal claims that 'Arms' also includes AR-15's

Gov Abbott's "unspeakable tragedy" is on the contrary a predictable scenario, occurrence near daily This is the kind of mythical freedom these people want. They have a stranglehold on the legislature and nothing will change there, ever. If going to school or shopping without fear of being slaughtered is more one's taste however best avoid the country as much as possible as I do.

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Time for a class action against the mall on the basis of not providing a safe environment.

Time for a class action against the gun manufacturers for making the guns in the first place, another against ALL gun shops for selling the guns, and a third against the state of Texas for allowing guns to be sold and carried in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Time for a class action against the gun manufacturers for making the guns in the first place, another against ALL gun shops for selling the guns, and a third against the state of Texas for allowing guns to be sold and carried in the first place.

No can do.

Guns are "protected".

The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA) is a U.S law, passed in 2005, that protects firearms manufacturers and dealers from being held liable when crimes have been committed with their products. Both arms manufacturers and dealers can still be held liable for damages resulting from defective products, breach of contract, criminal misconduct, and other actions for which they are directly responsible. They may also be held liable for negligent entrustment when they have reason to know a gun is intended for use in a crime.

The PLCAA is codified at 15 U.S.C. §§ 7901–7903.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protection_of_Lawful_Commerce_in_Arms_Act

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/7902

• Sad 1