Thaksin Completes Man City Buyout

george

Suree's Man City move in doubt after work permit denial

BANGKOK - Suree Sukha's hopes of becoming the first Thai to play in the English Premier League have hit a setback after his application for a work permit was rejected by the British government.

Fullback Suree had impressed Manchester City on a two-week trial, but the Home Office refused him a permit as Thailand are ranked outside FIFA's top 70 and he had not played in 75 percent of their international matches, the Bangkok Post reported on Saturday.

Suree, who earns less than $300 a week in the Thai league, said he was hopeful the club could pull a few strings to get him on board.

"Man City will talk to the British government and resubmit my application," he told the daily.

Suree was one of three Thai players recently invited by City's new owner, exiled former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, to train with the northwest club, who are currently second in the league behind Chelsea.

Thaksin's critics have dismissed his 81 million pounds City takeover and efforts to sign Suree as attempts to win support in his homeland with a view to a return to politics.

The billionaire tycoon, ousted in a coup last year and accused by the junta of corruption and abuse of power, insists he has quit politics.

- Reuters

==============================================================================

Interesting that Suree expects things to be resolved "Thai-style".... afterall, in Thailand, Thaksin would have been able to pull strings and accomplish darn near anything.

Work permit woes? Sounds a lot like Thailand.

This is no surprise to me - and is what I have been expecting. In fact I would have been very surprised if he had been given a work permit.

Footballers from better footballing nations than Thailand have been refused work permits in the UK.

I wonder if there will be a 'backlash' in our beloved LOS? :o

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Thaksin really manages to pull some strings. So far Thaksin plays it strictly by his own book and unless he changes his spots even more controversies are ready to follow.

It's kind of 'slow news' times, would be nice if he spiced things up a little, and somewhere far away from Thailand, for a change.

This is sligthly offtopic, but Russian Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich that has been mentioned here before, has now bought a A380 superjumbo plane for $300M for a private use: http://newsfromrussia.com/russia/history/0...ramovich_A380-0

Maybe Thaksin should do something similar? :o That would be a great way to return back to Thailand (as long as the plane doesn't collide with the airport).

This is sligthly offtopic, but Russian Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich that has been mentioned here before, has now bought a A380 superjumbo plane for $300M for a private use: http://newsfromrussia.com/russia/history/0...ramovich_A380-0

Maybe Thaksin should do something similar? :o That would be a great way to return back to Thailand (as long as the plane doesn't collide with the airport).

To fly that inflated ego of his around, he bought his own Airforce One, with taxpayers money, while in office, a total waste.

I'm sure they'd be please to send it over to pick him up.

I can't help but feel a little sympathy for the poor player, trying to better himself and earn a little money, only to discover that his hero doesn't have quite as much influence with 'his good friend' Tony Blair, as he had supposed.

OK , I know, Bliar is now a has-been, but those former-PMs have to stick together, and kid themselves that they still are influential people.

Wonder how Frank ensures that his karaoke-singing friends get their visas to the UK ? :o

'Still hope' for Thais at Man City

Thailand coach Chanvit Phalajivin insisted yesterday that Manchester City want to sign all three Thai players who are training with the Premiership club. ''I talked to Manchester City officials who said they wanted to sign the trio although Suree Sukha has the best chance of being in their first-team squad,'' said Chanvit. Chanvit was with Thailand internationals Suree, Kiatprawut Saiwaew and Teerasil Dangda for two weeks. Suree's application for a work permit was rejected by the Home Office last week and City reportedly will re-submit his application.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=121392

===========================================================================

A test of Thaksin's influence in the UK?

Thailand coach Chanvit Phalajivin insisted yesterday that Manchester City want to sign all three Thai players who are training with the Premiership club. ''I talked to Manchester City officials who said they wanted to sign the trio although Suree Sukha has the best chance of being in their first-team squad,'' said Chanvit. Chanvit was with Thailand internationals Suree, Kiatprawut Saiwaew and Teerasil Dangda for two weeks. Suree's application for a work permit was rejected by the Home Office last week and City reportedly will re-submit his application.

Continued here:

Yes I see it that way, no doubt he will try the tea money method.

Continued here:

Hope he wasn't planning on using his Swiss checking account... :o

Could it be that whilst Sven Goren Erickson was buying beachfront property in Samui, that can run to as much as 8 million THB a rai, that he was already spooning with our dear Khun Toxin................. or is it perhaps Sinatra these days?

Edited by bobfla

Since we Brits now drink more coffee, than tea, should it therefore be called 'coffee-money', when it is offered to the officials in the UK ? :o

This football site for women seems to have made it's mind up about Pol. Lt. Col, Dr. Shinawatra.

Sven ready to spend on Riquelme

By Pink Football

7 September 2007

Manchester City owner, former Thai dictator Thaksin Shinawatra :o may be in danger of having his assets seized, but his signal to manager Sven-Goran Eriksson is to keep on spending to bring exciting new players to the Eastlands.

Those frozen assets are making a bigger effect than I suspected....

Thaksin happy to catch train to Man City games

Thaksin Shinawatra was late for Manchester City's match at Blackburn Rovers last week - due to train delays!

The People says the billionaire chose to catch the train to Ewood Park - and didn't even bother to take a first-class seat.

The exiled former Thai Prime Minister was among the hordes awaiting Virgin's 0835 London Euston to Manchester Piccadilly service when an announcement was made, at 15 minutes' notice, that the train had been cancelled.

Thaksin got a later train and made it for the best part of City's game at Blackburn. For the record, that London-Manchester journey costs between £12.50 and £29 if you book early enough... then it's only 15 quid more to upgrade to first class. Behold a man of the people.

- tribalfootball.com

=====================================

Is the homeless shelter in his future?

Assets Panel to Investigate Exiled PM's Purchase of Man City

The Assets Examination Committee will move on to probe financial transactions related to the amount of money the ousted Prime Minister used to buy Manchester City Football Club.

Asset Examination Committee (AEC) Chairman Nam Yimyam reveals the committee is investigating the financial transactions by ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra for his purchase of Manchester City Football Club.

Nam says an AEC sub-committee will check whether the money was transferred from Thailand. Any transfers of assets from Thailand will be illegal as the AEC has frozen most of Thaksin's assets in the country.

However, Thaksin's legal counsel, Noppadol Pattama, confirms that the ousted prime minister transferred his Shin Corp Shares to his son and daughter before entering politics, to follow the law prohibiting political post holders to own shares in a company. Noppadol says he will testify in the alleged share concealment case to the AEC within a week.

AEC Secretary Kaewsan Atipoti says the panel will ask Thaksin to acknowledge the lawsuits against him and return home to give testimony before it.

The AEC Secretary says evidence supports the speculation that while in office, Thaksin abused his power to gain special benefits for his family business, causing the state to lose billions of baht in revenue.

Kaewsan says there is reason to believe Thaksin and his wife still control their family business even if the shares are not in their names.

Concerning the AEC's work to investigate the alleged corruption cases related to Thaksin, Kaewsan confirms all processes are transparent and follow the rules of justice as a priority.

- Thailand Outlook

• 2 weeks later...

Continued here:

UPDATE... seems Thaksin just doesn't carry much weight in the UK as the work permit was denied... now if he needed a discount ticket to fly up to Chiang Mai on AirAsia after arriving in BKK... no problem

Three Thais return from Man City trial

After a month-long trial at Manchester City, three Thai players returned home with hopes of a dream move to the England's Premier League outfit still burning in their minds.

The national team trio, Suree Sukha, Teerasil Daengda and Kiatprawut Saiweao, flied back home on Tuesday amid huge interest of local media, who quickly mobbed the three since they emerged out of the gate.

The 26-year-old Suree, who had his family and girlfriend see him at the airport, reportedly came close securing a transfer to the Sky Blues but a work permit problem put his move on hold, denying him a chance to become the second Thai to have signed a contract with English club after striker star Kiatisak Senamuang, who once spent a brief spell with League One outfit Huddersfield.

- The Nation

• 2 weeks later...

No apparent cash flow problems at the Shinawatra household, despite their whining over frozen assets... must be a lot of mattresses at the mansion to stuff money into...

According to reports from the British press Manchester City are after Argentine playmaker Juan Roman Riquelme, and could offer Villarreal 8 million euros for the services of the player.

The Daily Mail declared that Manchester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson has been keeping a close watch on the Argentine for some time now, and negotiations between the club and the player’s agent could begin in the near future.

It was reported that Eriksson said that Manchester City owner Thaksin Shinawatra is willing to offer Villarreal 8 million euros for the highly rated midfielder, who hasn't seen any first team action with his club this season.

- goal.com

Fans of In Living Color television series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Living_Color

will recognize:

t_6965.jpg

Sven promised more cash

Manchester City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson claims he has been promised more money to spend on new players by Blues owner Thaksin Shinawatra.

Eriksson has already enjoyed heavily backed in the transfer market from the former Thai premier - City were one of the Premier League's biggest spenders over the summer, bringing eight new players to Eastlands in a £40 million spree - but there could be yet more transactions on the horizon.

"The boss has told me I can buy one or more players in order to strengthen the team," Eriksson told Sportbladet.

In particular, midfielder Elano - an £8 million from Shakhtar Donetsk - has been a revelation since his arrival in the blue half of Manchester.

- Eurosports

• 2 weeks later...

Latest book looks at Manchester City deal

Thaksin Shinawatra features in a new book due to hit the shelves in Bangkok this week

"Sinatra's City: Is it time for Thais to own a football club?" is the latest book about the exiled prime minister, written by football columnist Tarawut Nopchinda.

The book has information about relations between football and business. The highlight of the book is a chapter talking about how ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra became owner of Manchester City Football Club - the story behind the 5.8 Billion Baht takeover.

The writer says Mohamed Al Fayed, the multimillionaire owner of Fulham Football Club and Harrods department store, was a lobbyist for the deal. In the book, Tarawut says Thaksin used the Manchester City club as an excellent tool to publicise himself. "The [takeover] news makes people, who love Thaksin, still know about his moves. And they are confident that Thaksin has been bullied by the junta, as the foreign club accepted him [as new owner]," he writes.

The takeover deal could also save him from asset freezes or seizures, the writer said.

The book was launched yesterday at the BookExpo Thailand 2007 at Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre.

There have been many books about Thaksin since he was ousted by the military. They include "Thaksin, Where Are You?" written by Sunisa Lertpakawat, "Lydia … Here I am!" written by Saanrat "Lydia" Wisutthithadato, and "Thaksin's 24 Hours" released in Hong Kong, and co-written with three Chinese authors.

- The Nation

Thaksin Shinawatra features in a new book due to hit the shelves in Bangkok this week

"Sinatra's City: Is it time for Thais to own a football club?" is the latest book about the exiled prime minister, written by football columnist Tarawut Nopchinda.

The book has information about relations between football and business. The highlight of the book is a chapter talking about how ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra became owner of Manchester City Football Club - the story behind the 5.8 Billion Baht takeover.

The writer says Mohamed Al Fayed, the multimillionaire owner of Fulham Football Club and Harrods department store, was a lobbyist for the deal. In the book, Tarawut says Thaksin used the Manchester City club as an excellent tool to publicise himself. "The [takeover] news makes people, who love Thaksin, still know about his moves. And they are confident that Thaksin has been bullied by the junta, as the foreign club accepted him [as new owner]," he writes.

The takeover deal could also save him from asset freezes or seizures, the writer said.

The book was launched yesterday at the BookExpo Thailand 2007 at Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre.

There have been many books about Thaksin since he was ousted by the military. They include "Thaksin, Where Are You?" written by Sunisa Lertpakawat, "Lydia … Here I am!" written by Saanrat "Lydia" Wisutthithadato, and "Thaksin's 24 Hours" released in Hong Kong, and co-written with three Chinese authors.

- The Nation

To be fair City are playing very well i am only sorry that the average Thai cannot watch.

Has anyone seen all the Refs are now wearing Air asia sponsorship on their shirt sleaves i kid you not.

- The Nation

To be fair City are playing very well i am only sorry that the average Thai cannot watch.

Has anyone seen all the Refs are now wearing Air asia sponsorship on their shirt sleaves i kid you not.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AIRASIA ANNOUNCES SPONSORSHIP OF ENGLISH REFEREES

MANCHESTER, 2 August 2007 – AirAsia, the leading and largest low cost carrier in Asia

is proud to announce today that it is to sponsor the Professional Game Match Officials

Limited (PGMOL), the body representing all the professional football referees in England.

The exclusive deal will see AirAsia being pronounced the Official Sponsor of Professional

Game Match Officials for a period of three (3) years.

The PGMOL was established in 2001 and is responsible for the training, development and

monitoring of an elite group of 19 Referees and 50 Assistant Referees, as well as a National

list of 57 Referees and 182 Assistant Referees.

The AirAsia logo will appear on the sleeves of all referees officiating in matches in

competitions including Barclays Premiership, the Coca-Cola Football League, the Carling Cup,

the FA Cup, the FA Vase and the Johnsons Paint Trophy. AirAsia branding will also appear

on all the referees’ kits and training wear.

Kamarudin Meranun, Deputy Group Chief Executive Officer of AirAsia, who was

present at today’s announcement at Carrington Training Centre said, “AirAsia prides itself on

a reputation for reliability and dependability, and these qualities are reflected in the work of

the PGMOL and its referees whose dedication and commitment to fair play are crucial to the

success of English football. This sponsorship will see the AirAsia brand being associated with

top notch professionalism and the spirit of good sportsmanship, with the aim of reaching out

to a bigger audience and elevating the brand to greater heights.”

There is, of course, Thai Air Asia, a joint venture between Air Asia Sdn Bhd and Shin Corp.

Regards

Maybe not fly with them again! At the beginning of this takeover I seem to remember something prior to the takeover about checking for the "colour of toxins money" ,obviously 'tainted' not yet official colour scheme.

for reference

Thai AirAsia, AirAsia’s associate company in Thailand, has made changes to the company’s ownership structure to comply with Thai laws on foreign ownership.

Under the near shareholding structure, Shin Corp’s 50% stake in Thai AirAsia will be liquidated to a local Thai company named Asia Aviation Co. Ltd. AirAsia International Limited’s (AAIL) 49 % stake in Thai AirAsia will remain unchanged, while Tassapon Bijleveld, Chief Executive Officer of Thai AirAsia holds the remaining 1%.

Asia Aviation Co. Ltd is a registered company with the Commerce Ministry's Business Development Department, and consists of the following shareholders:

Mr. Sittichai Veerathummnoon - 51%

ShinCorp - 49%

The total investment for this new entity is THB400 million. With this new shareholding in place, Thai AirAsia remains a majority Thai holding company since Asia Aviation is a Thai domicile company with majority Thai shareholders.

Thai AirAsia has to date carried over 3million guests since commencing operations in 2003. The Thai based low fare airline currently operates 241 weekly departures from its hub in Bangkok International Airport to 15 domestic and regional destinations such as Malaysia (Kota Kinabalu, Penang, Kuala Lumpur), Singapore, Macau, China, Cambodia, and Vietnam. Thai AirAsia presently operates a fleet of 9 Boeing 737-300s