Exchange coins for notes

BenStark

27 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Don't feel like I want to tape them together in 10pc/pack, so looking for a source in the Pattaya vicinity that will count them by weight.

No such weighing service exists, you'll need to do some counting and sorting in order to help yourself.  If that is something that you're not prepared to do, take them to a temple and donate them or start spending them in Tops, Lotus's, 7-11, Family Mart.

Villa in Bangkok always used to have a notice that small were wanted and they would change (and count) any quantity, Villa Pattaya may sort you out.

Alternatively, deposit them in your bank account (there may be a charge for large amounts)...https://www.thephuketnews.com/lots-of-loose-change-50403.php

Wherever you go, though, you will not be very welcome if you don't, at least, separate the coin denominations.  

For future reference, as you'll never normally get more than three or four of the smaller coins in any change (no matter how hard the cashier tries) just keep them in your pocket and use them in the same shops that give them in your change, that way you'll never build up an unwanted PITA collection.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Some banks make coin counting machines available to the public.

Call the customer service numbers of a couple of banks and ask if one of their branches has a coin counting machine available near you.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I called kasikorn, and was told that in Pattaya and surroundings the branch in Central festival is the only one that has such a counting machine.

Coins have to be deposited in the account, and there is a 2% charge

Mom & Pop shops are nearly always happy to take small change, (I'm often asked by one if I have any), say in amounts enough for 2 or 3 bottles of beer at a time. OK so you need to get small bags or a container and count the coins yourself first.

To me, not having to get my wallet out and break larger notes, it feels a bit like free beer.

Edited by foreverlomsak
Brain working quicker than fingers

Wife sorts them, puts them in small plastic bags (i.e. 200 10-Baht coins together), then brings them to the bank (SCB), they will count them in the back office, and wife gets the money in her account 2-3 days later. Easy as that.

Could have sworn I saw a coin > note machine at the entrance to Tesco Lotus at the start of Chaiyaphruk 2 (before it changed to Lotus'''ssss's). I've not been there for a while so no idea if it's still there.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

go give handfuls to street kids,  they'll like you for it ....  just get rid off them the easy way.  !!

To get rid of them I started to put a handful of 1 baht coins in a plastic bag (about 20-30 baht) and give to the begger kids on 2nd road. None of them ever looked happy about it and one kid even held up the bag and gave me a real wtf look. Then they weren't there one day and I had to carry a bag of coins around with me. Gave up after that

• Haha 2

I did what you avoided.... sat in front of TV with sticky tape and made 10 piece lots and her indoors took them to the market each day until much depleted.  (Yes, rather sad!)

I searched,

exchange coins site:aseannow.com

and this topic has come up often but with little in the way of solutions.

SCB did have some coin counting/deposit machines but I think they phased those out. You had to have an SCB account and the coin amount was depsited into your account.

In this volume, I've been told by "finance people" (aka loan sharks) associated with Khlong Toei market, the amount is calculated by weight, and some sort of sliding fee scale ~ 2-ish %) is applied.

A one baht coin weights 3 g

https://www.royalthaimint.net/ewtadmin/ewt/mint_en/mobile_detail.php?cid=21&nid=302

Assuming you have a scale, or can buy one as they are relatively inexpensive and can be used for cooking and dietary portion control, then I'd break them down to 102 ~ 105 baht small food takeawy portion bags, bags. Label them as such. Then take five of these to the biggest local market and see what can be arranged. Rinse, repeat.

Edited by bamnutsak

Just now, PoorSucker said:

I went to SCB and deposited them.

Took two hours, three people to count them by hand.

Yes but a suggested by @Etaoin Shrdlu, some branches will have a coin counting machine, you need to ask headoffice for that info.

I called Kasikorn call centre, and they checked it for me, and later called me back to inform that the branch in central festival has such a machine.

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

Yes but a suggested by @Etaoin Shrdlu, some branches will have a coin counting machine, you need to ask headoffice for that info.

I called Kasikorn call centre, and they checked it for me, and later called me back to inform that the branch in central festival has such a machine.

This was on Samui, they suggested I go to Surathani.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 1:01 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Villa in Bangkok always used to have a notice that small were wanted and they would change (and count) any quantity, Villa Pattaya may sort you out.

Best Supermarket always ask for mine if they see chnage.