South African Tourist Injured in Altercation Following Refusal to Pay Bar Bill on Pattaya's Walking Street

webfact

A number of speculative posts also a personal attack and replies have been removed. Additionally, baiting posts and replies have been removed.  Do not bait or attack other posters.

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You seem to have a very strange way of buying food and drinks.  Wherever I order those items, the order is requested, the food or drink is prepared and handed to me, then I give the vendor the money.  I've never come across any vendor that demanded money up front.

Not "up front" but when you receive the food or drink, that is when you pay.  True, at a restaurant you do not pay until finished and leaving. 

Am just relating how bars could avoid customers who have no money or make mistakes with knowing how much money they have on them.  Ringing a bell will cost 1000 baht + in most bars, Simple policy would be to hand the cashier 1000+ baht,  THEN you can ring the bell.  Seems logical to me, yet am not a bar owner and never been a bar owner.

Believe from what someone told me, many of the driver delivery apps online...Lineman, Food Panda, Grab, Hungry now you must pay through the app before it is made and delivered so driver does not deal with cash

Edited by Skallywag

It's interesting to read all these posts here where people write it must have been padded bills. 

Why do you think so?

Depending on the bar that's about 50 lady drinks. If the ladies order thinks like whisky-coke that is in some bars interpreted as two drinks. So that are 25 pairs of lady drinks. 5 ladies with each 5 "drinks" can easily happen within an hour.

How many of you had ever any padded bill?

I think the last time someone tried that with me was over 10 years ago.

Just don't present yourself as the idiot with too much money.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

South African cracks head open in fight over 9,000 baht go-go bar bill in Pattaya
by leah 

image.jpeg

A South African tourist cracked his head open during a fight about a 9,000 baht drinks bill outside a go-go bar on Pattaya’s Walking Street in Chon Buri province, eastern Thailand, last night. Police took him to the station where he agreed to pay.

In the middle of the night, officers at Mueang Pattaya Police Station were informed that a foreign tourist was injured on Walking Street.

Police found 40 year old “John” of South African nationality with a cracked forehead and blood running down his face, reports CH7.

A group of security guards from a go-go bar informed the police that the foreigner refused to pay for his drinks bill which amounted to 9,470 baht.

Upon receiving the bill, the tourist allegedly scrumpled it up, threw it at the guards, and hurled verbal abuse at them, they told the police. They said the drunk tourist launched forward and tried to put a guard in a headlock.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/pattaya/south-african-cracks-head-open-in-fight-over-9000-baht-go-go-bar-bill-in-pattaya

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

A nephew of mine not long ago in Phuket was cajoled into playing some sort of games with the girls where when he lost, he'd buy a drink to 2-3 girls there and before long the tab came to 5,000 baht which he paid and left the bar feeling that he's been had.

He had (been had)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

"As for the exact circumstances leading to his injury, authorities are planning to review CCTV footage to ensure a fair and thorough investigation for all parties involved."

Be interesting to see?

"When the situation escalated, the guards intervened, and in the ensuing struggle, Mr. John fell, hitting his head on the edge of some stairs."

Did he fall. or was he pushed?

Or how many times did he bounce?

• Haha 2

I recently went out in Thailand for a family (9 people) eating a verity of food including sea food), 3 large beers and the bill was less than 9k. Police making/forcing him to pay is shocking. Another tourist conned (the police obviously in on the con). Left scared and beaten with no justice against the pack of deranged animals. How many potential tourist will now not come? His friends and family certainly. This disgusts me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BritScot said:

I recently went out in Thailand for a family (9 people) eating a verity of food including sea food), 3 large beers and the bill was less than 9k. Police making/forcing him to pay is shocking. Another tourist conned (the police obviously in on the con). Left scared and beaten with no justice against the pack of deranged animals. How many potential tourist will now not come? His friends and family certainly. This disgusts me. 

9k is not a small bill but many bars have several of those bills per night and some higher bills - with official prices.

Some guys like to buy a lot of drinks for lots of girls and maybe for hours.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

"As for the exact circumstances leading to his injury, authorities are planning to review CCTV footage to ensure a fair and thorough investigation for all parties involved."

Be interesting to see?

"When the situation escalated, the guards intervened, and in the ensuing struggle, Mr. John fell, hitting his head on the edge of some stairs."

Did he fall. or was he pushed?

more than likely drunk & legs unsteady few drinks to many ????

Edited by Mad mick

5 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Back in my drinking days, I was thrown in the drunk tank at Thong Lor PD for refusing to bay my bar bill.

I was in a QPA bar (Soi22) and had actually rang the bell 2 times.

The bill was around 9,000 Baht, which I refused to pay.

The police were called and the cashier explained to the police that I had rang the bell 2 times and as such I had to buy drinks for everyone in the bar, hence the high bar bill.

I tried to explain to Mr. Plod that I believed that the bill was a tad on the high side, as myself the cashier were the only people in the bar.

They still took me to the station and held me until I accepted to pay the bill, even though the bill was very obviously padded.

I later learned that the bar was owned by the wife of one of the top policemen at Thong Lor station. ????

they're almost all owned by PO or wives of PO. Especially in ThongLo. You must have been very drunk when you arrived at the bar otherwise you would have known after the first bell-ring how much you'd spent. If you didn't check and then did the same again then you learned a valuable lesson. I suspect you haven't repeated your actions?

I had a similar situ in Crazy House............not ringing the bell (I dont think there is one in CH?) but buying drinks and not checking the bill..........keeping a mental note though. Bill came and was 3 times what it should have been. My friend wisely defused the situation and paid..........I was ready for arguing though which with hindsight would have ended badly - for me. CH did this a lot a few years ago and trade fell off a cliff as a result. They changed the way they work - they had to - and customers sign for every round now and bill is handed out each time and kept in front of you. 

Edited by Jackbenimble

4 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Pay as you go is the rule at every bar in other countries.  Thailand bars should learn this simple rule.  You buy food from street vendor, you pay before you get the food.  You buy fruit shake at a street vendor you pay before you get the drink.  How hard is it to collect the money when it is actually spent?  So strange to me.  

You're right but, if they did, how could they run their scams and overcharge you?

Walking Street, 

The bill adds easy up to 9 K there just have a few boobs in your hands and pay some ladies a drink.

Best till now was 3 years ago meeting my mates from work. 

5 of us came from the same project and we use to go the first day at home to sort our "PWTS"

(Post Work Tension Syndrome) 

43.200 THB in just about 2 hrs ...

Good thing was that all customers left, because the girls were taking care of us and as the bar was empty we paid and left too, moved to the opposite side. 

The night was over for the bar and their chicks, because who want to enter an empty bar at 22:30 on a Saturday night when on the oppsite side 5 "bell ringing" Offshore workers were shooting with bra's at each other LOL. 

Strange, that in that bar the bill was after 3 1/2 hrs 24.000 baht... 

6 hours ago, bendejo said:

I wonder how he ran up such a large tab.

It's called bill padding.

Seriously, we won't have the full story, but as soon as they sense the turps is having its affect, and you are not keeping, tabs on your, well tab, all kinds of ***** begins to happen.

• Like 1

a South African tourist, 40-year-old Mr. John (full name withheld), 

When the situation escalated, the guards intervened, and in the ensuing struggle, Mr. Viljoen fell, hitting his head on the edge of some stairs.

I assume when a reporter says "full name withheld" that would include first name and last name. So much for top reporting and privacy. 

10 minutes ago, firemans35 said:

a South African tourist, 40-year-old Mr. John (full name withheld), 

When the situation escalated, the guards intervened, and in the ensuing struggle, Mr. Viljoen fell, hitting his head on the edge of some stairs.

I assume when a reporter says "full name withheld" that would include first name and last name. So much for top reporting and privacy. 

Ok John! 

• Haha 1

"When the situation escalated, the guards intervened, and in the ensuing struggle, Mr. Viljoen fell, hitting his head on the edge of some stairs."

Hitting his head on the bouncer's flip-flop more like it.

Edited by jesimps