Hungarian Man Facing Legal Action After Touching Pipefish While Diving at Pha Ngan Island

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

99% of Thai's wouldn't even know a pipefish from a puffer fish ..    outraged ... what BS , who makes this up ?

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

how stupid is he ..

throw his sorry ass in jail for a month ... 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

a video clip was posted on a YouTube channel this week with the message “Scuba Diving in Paradise, Koh Pha Ngan, Thailand”.

Paradise is very subjective,as the diver is about to find out.

I wonder if the same outrage would be voiced if the diver touched a Salt Water Crocodile or a Great White Shark, or would the headlines simply read Eaten while patting a smiling shark

gGGGgG

O.H. M.Y. G.O.D.!!! He touched a fish!!! This is definitely an offense worthy of red-faced, explosive anger and indignation that he would dare commit such an affront against Thai law!! No wonder at all that "many Thai nationals are outraged"!  I sure would like to know what their definition of "many" is. I can barely fathom more than 10 (who are probably worthy of being institutionalized in a nuthouse or maybe of becoming a politician) being outraged over this act, unless of course they knew it was a foreigner who committed such an atrocity, showing his disrespect for Thailand, then perhaps that number of outraged righteous citizenry could be exponentially larger. The guy must be quite the dodgy character though, since they confiscated his passport and deemed him a flight risk! Certifiably insane.
Yep... sounds like a news story expressly written by those who are clamoring for the tourist industry to get back on its feet. Good luck with that one... I almost never recommend anyone come to visit me anymore, let alone come for tourism. Why?

Edited by Sig
improved my pitiful grammar :P

19 hours ago, anchadian said:

Tourist or expat, this Hungarian I'm sure didn't know that touching a pipefish was illegal.

Hm,..He's a expat living in Thailand, they have him by the balls and are going to squeeze a lot of money out of him... I'm so sorry for him.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Could be time for a list of all these prohibited goings on in Thailand, starting with the dos & don'ts of the Royal Household through to the "topless forbidden on beaches" and ending way at the bottom with "don't touch the Pipe fish".  The list should then be printed in every Thai holiday broacher along with the penalties. The tourist can then decide is this the holiday for me.  end-of

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, steven100 said:

I think you misunderstood what I meant .....  in my opinion,   touch, kiss, handle,  rub...  any thing you like under the water while diving ....  just don't put it on social media .....       we don't know all the silly rules in Thailand.

Can I fondle this please!

mermaid-20422835.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Utter ballcrap, why is touching a fish in the sea illegal? Who says so? Under what law is it written?

it's the Thai law .....  don't you know they just make it up as they go along  !     haha ...      no sex on the beach !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/11/2023 at 6:32 PM, simon43 said:

[quote]

with many Thai nationals outraged.

[/quote]

Oh please, were many Thai nationals really outraged? This seems to be a stock phrase often used in news reports about events in Thailand.  I assume that it's The Pattaya News that is the guilty party.  Quite frankly, I expect most Thai nationals couldn't give a fig.....

99.99999999999% of Thai nationals have absolutely no idea what a pipefish is - neither does the government, the police or most of the people in the world. 

Thai scam!

22 hours ago, StefanBBK said:

Judging by the picture, the fish was a willing participant, and rather inquisitive. Illegal it may be, but certainly not malicious. 

I had a similar-looking fish attach itself to me when I was snorkeling in Malaysia many years ago.  I thought at the time is was a baby sea snake (yikes!) but it could well have been a pipefish.  I didn't touch it, it touched me.  All I know is, it wouldn't leave me alone!

Edited by IslandLover

23 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

yeah, the world is hard to understand sometimes, isn't it? Ever hear the phrase protected/endangered species? Look it up and you'll find explanations why no one is allowed to approach or interact with them. Might be over your head, though. Like climate change. 

There's gentle interaction and then there's harassment.  Two entirely different things.  I've witnessed harassment of wildlife first hand and those that do it deserve to be prosecuted. ????