Thailand’s experiment with weed goes up in smoke

snoop1130

I can’t figure out why Thailand allowed grass. They were all aboard on the family friendly tourism and high earning expat visitor train then they allow it to become a stoner destination.

everyone knows higher class people don’t sit around getting stoned, with the exception of some rock stars.

Are and families planning to brings their families to smoke weed or be around those who do? Do you like being in a resort where there are guys in dreadlocks sitting around the pool getting stoned?

what are people doing in their rooms getting stoned? Utilizing the services of prostitutes? Does little Joey need to hear that or be exposed to that lower class of society?

your father knew people who utilized alcohol and it was always a manly thing to do, even if it was not healthy. He also knew people who smoked, but he did not at all associate with that segment of society who smoked grass. What losers. Did they grow up and live in their mothers basements, become heroin addicts, live on welfare and food stamps? Did you end up there? Loser! What could you have achieved had you not succumbed to grass, the deadly weed. What kind of man did you leave behind in a puff of smoke and laughter? If only you listened to the film in family values class in high school you could have grown up to be a pillar of society, a doctor, architect or lawyer. Instead you got stoned in the bushes at lunchtime and became a loser student, and now your kids need a good example. Man up and change your ways, don’t let your kids take the same path! You won’t ever be your fathers man, but you can try to fake it, like your father did. 

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I can’t figure out why Thailand allowed grass. They were all aboard on the family friendly tourism and high earning expat visitor train then they allow it to become a stoner destination.

Some very high up people (one of whom is known for calling foreigners ‘dirty’) have very strong connections to growers in Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia.

‘Some’ in positions of decision making power and influence stood to make an exceptional amount of money. 

And... I do agree with you, Thailands almost puritanical regulation of alcohol and constant blabbering on about ‘high-end tourists’ etc etc is completely juxtaposed with its moderate position on Marijuana, especially when compared to its extremely hardline punishments for those caught in possession of other drugs. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, NextG said:

Imagine if you’ve been suffering for twenty years for nothing. That the whole ‘marijuana is bad’ hoax, prevented you from access the the best natural remedy going? 
Not just for the pain, but in helping you to readjust your posture in so that the reason for your pain in the first place is eliminated. 
There are so many here who understand absolutely nothing, but they are often the ones who are shouting the loudest. 

I can understand it from the medical point of view, though I would need to try it first. From the recreational view, then it is each to their own,

I quit smoking ordinary cigarettes back in 1970 and I quit drinking 3 years ago, when I sat and worked out I was drinking about 3 to 4 bottles of Hong Thong a week.

At 78 I really don't want to start anything unless I have to.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I can understand it from the medical point of view, though I would need to try it first. From the recreational view, then it is each to their own,

I quit smoking ordinary cigarettes back in 1970 and I quit drinking 3 years ago, when I sat and worked out I was drinking about 3 to 4 bottles of Hong Thong a week.

Most make excuses to abuse substances.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have just done an internet search and found this link.

https://journals.lww.com/pain/fulltext/2021/07001/medicinal_cannabis_in_thailand__1_year_experience.9.aspx

TOPICAL REVIEW
Medicinal cannabis in Thailand: 1-year experience after legalization
Zinboonyahgoon, Nantthasorna,*; Srisuma, Sahaphumeb,c; Limsawart, Wirund; Rice, Andrew S.C.e; Suthisisang, Chuthamaneef
Author Information
PAIN 162():p S105-S109, July 2021. | DOI: 10.1097/j.pain.0000000000001936
FREE

Metrics
1. Introduction
Cannabinoids, cannabis, and cannabis-based medicines (CBM) have been used for medical purposes for a variety of conditions, including chronic pain, neuropathic pain, and cancer pain.13,16–18,25,30,42 Nevertheless, the clinical application remains controversial due to the limited evidence of benefit, potential harm, and legal/regulatory issues around the world.11,14,24,26,33,41

The public's interest in cannabis products has risen globally and has been accelerated by legalization for medicinal and recreational purposes in many countries.32 In Thailand, cannabis was categorized as a controlled substance since the early 1930s. Nevertheless, by the rapid promulgation of new regulations in February 2019, the country became the first and only nation in South East Asia that legalized medicinal cannabis.6,32,38

Regardless of the controversy of the medical indications, the effort to put forward the “liberalization” of medicinal uses of cannabis has led to a complex situation that impacts the public and the healthcare system. This review describes the unique experience, 1-year after the legalization of medicinal cannabis in Thailand.

2. Medicinal cannabis: pharmacology and clinical efficacy
Cannabis contains more than 500 compounds, including 2 important cannabinoids; tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD). Cannabis sativa, the species commonly grown in Thailand, has a quite high concentration of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC), which binds with high affinity to CB1 and CB2 receptors and provides analgesia, appetite stimulation, and antiemetic effects.2,19 However, by binding to CB1 receptors in the central nervous system, Δ9-THC can induce drowsiness, decrease alertness, impair short-term memory and executive functions, alter judgment, impair psychomotor task performance, psychosis, and exacerbate psychotic episodes.5,33 Moreover, THC also induces cardiovascular adverse effects, including cardiac arrhythmia, hypertension, coronary spasm, orthostatic hypotension, and transient ischemic attack.28 Unlike THC, CBD elicits its pharmacological effects (anxiolytic, analgesic, and anticonvulsive effects) without exerting significant activity on CB1 or CB2 receptors. Cannabidiol is not associated with the above-mentioned neurological and cardiovascular effects,2,19 abuse, or dependence.

The clinical data regarding the analgesic efficacy of cannabis products in chronic pain are still controversial due to limitation of high-quality evidence.1,11,15,36 The recent meta-analysis by the IASP Presidential Task Force on the use of cannabinoids, cannabis, and CBM for pain management showed no strong evidence to support the analgesic benefit of CBM.11,24 In addition, the defined type, optimum dose, and route of administration of CBM products for each condition are still unknown.33 Finally, even if death from respiratory depression directly from medicinal cannabis has not been reported, the death from cardiovascular disease, death from car accidents, long-term neurological and psychological sequelae, and Cannabis use disorders have been concerning.

There is much more information in the link.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Not really true. 

Cannabis in holland is available nationwide   not just in Amsterdam  and as regards growing  .....

"The authorities won’t charge growers with less than five plants. "

https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog-growing-cannabis-outdoors-in-the-netherlands-month-by-month-guide-n1293#:~:text=The bottom line%3A Cannabis possession,radar and are rarely prosecuted.

I never said it was only available in Amsterdam and Rotterdam.  A lot of towns in NL have "coffee shops".  Sure, it is not illegal to grow a small amount in your back yard for personal use, but try growing it in larger quantities in your garage or spare room and see what happens.  One establishment near to where I live got raided recently.  Police with helicopters were involved and it made the local news.  The "crop" was destroyed.  Shame really.

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have just done an internet search and found this link.

https://journals.lww.com/pain/fulltext/2021/07001/medicinal_cannabis_in_thailand__1_year_experience.9.aspx

TOPICAL REVIEW
Medicinal cannabis in Thailand: 1-year experience after legalization
Zinboonyahgoon, Nantthasorna,*; Srisuma, Sahaphumeb,c; Limsawart, Wirund; Rice, Andrew S.C.e; Suthisisang, Chuthamaneef
Author Information
PAIN 162():p S105-S109, July 2021. | DOI: 10.1097/j.pain.0000000000001936
FREE

Metrics
1. Introduction
Cannabinoids, cannabis, and cannabis-based medicines (CBM) have been used for medical purposes for a variety of conditions, including chronic pain, neuropathic pain, and cancer pain.13,16–18,25,30,42 Nevertheless, the clinical application remains controversial due to the limited evidence of benefit, potential harm, and legal/regulatory issues around the world.11,14,24,26,33,41

The public's interest in cannabis products has risen globally and has been accelerated by legalization for medicinal and recreational purposes in many countries.32 In Thailand, cannabis was categorized as a controlled substance since the early 1930s. Nevertheless, by the rapid promulgation of new regulations in February 2019, the country became the first and only nation in South East Asia that legalized medicinal cannabis.6,32,38

Regardless of the controversy of the medical indications, the effort to put forward the “liberalization” of medicinal uses of cannabis has led to a complex situation that impacts the public and the healthcare system. This review describes the unique experience, 1-year after the legalization of medicinal cannabis in Thailand.

2. Medicinal cannabis: pharmacology and clinical efficacy
Cannabis contains more than 500 compounds, including 2 important cannabinoids; tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD). Cannabis sativa, the species commonly grown in Thailand, has a quite high concentration of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC), which binds with high affinity to CB1 and CB2 receptors and provides analgesia, appetite stimulation, and antiemetic effects.2,19 However, by binding to CB1 receptors in the central nervous system, Δ9-THC can induce drowsiness, decrease alertness, impair short-term memory and executive functions, alter judgment, impair psychomotor task performance, psychosis, and exacerbate psychotic episodes.5,33 Moreover, THC also induces cardiovascular adverse effects, including cardiac arrhythmia, hypertension, coronary spasm, orthostatic hypotension, and transient ischemic attack.28 Unlike THC, CBD elicits its pharmacological effects (anxiolytic, analgesic, and anticonvulsive effects) without exerting significant activity on CB1 or CB2 receptors. Cannabidiol is not associated with the above-mentioned neurological and cardiovascular effects,2,19 abuse, or dependence.

The clinical data regarding the analgesic efficacy of cannabis products in chronic pain are still controversial due to limitation of high-quality evidence.1,11,15,36 The recent meta-analysis by the IASP Presidential Task Force on the use of cannabinoids, cannabis, and CBM for pain management showed no strong evidence to support the analgesic benefit of CBM.11,24 In addition, the defined type, optimum dose, and route of administration of CBM products for each condition are still unknown.33 Finally, even if death from respiratory depression directly from medicinal cannabis has not been reported, the death from cardiovascular disease, death from car accidents, long-term neurological and psychological sequelae, and Cannabis use disorders have been concerning.

There is much more information in the link.

In the UK they test for drink, cannabis and cocaine if you are involved in a road accident, or if your car stinks of puff on a stop... 

So in the UK at least, they have done the research on what actually does to your brain cells and the operation of a motor vehicle...:whistling:

Plus, puff stays in your system waaay longer than the effects of beer, beer is dealt with in a few hours, but puff, read below. 

https://www.healthline.com/health/how-long-does-weed-stay-in-your-system

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

everyone knows higher class people don’t sit around getting stoned

I suppose I'm middle class in the UK due to my salary bracket and you'd be surprised by what high earners get up to in their spare time. 

Those with good jobs generally understand the art of discretion.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/12/2023 at 5:44 PM, Mitkof Island said:

And what happens to all the Thais that spent money creating shops etc?

A lot of new Somtam shops coming. With a special less spicy flavor! 

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

At 78 I have been living with back and knee pain for over 20 years and have not resorted to medical marijuana yet.

mimosa cake from Lampang farm is great for back pain. it clears up my neck and back pain.

https://shop.line.me/@baan_kru_samun_pri

i reviewed it here. very cheap..

Edited by roietfortress
typo
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2023 at 5:44 PM, Mitkof Island said:

And what happens to all the Thais that spent money creating shops etc?

all the shops and growers will be on a suspicion list and paying big settlements if they get caught

i for myself will be very happy if this happens we have seen the past year what we got from this ridiculous idea

the cities are stinking from the weed abuse of many junkies with their eyes popping out of their head

the scum of the earth is visiting Thailand now

are these the quality tourists Thailand wants? 

anyway this nonsence will make other countries realize that when it is legal it goes crazy 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, transam said:

In the UK they test for drink, cannabis and cocaine if you are involved in a road accident, or if your car stinks of puff on a stop... 

So in the UK at least, they have done the research on what actually does to your brain cells and the operation of a motor vehicle...:whistling:

Plus, puff stays in your system waaay longer than the effects of beer, beer is dealt with in a few hours, but puff, read below. 

https://www.healthline.com/health/how-long-does-weed-stay-in-your-system

You seem to be talking about how long its detectable, 

Quoting your own article 'Weed’s short-term effects start to taper off after 1 to 3 hours.'

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, h90 said:

You are wording it too soft. If you decriminalize drugs, the drug dealer goes bankrupt. He has no interest to get people addicted. There won't be any bad mixed drugs. There won't be any criminality because addicted people need money for the next shot. Therefor much less police, border control etc is needed. And if someone dream up some scenario of kids randomly use drugs, than you can make them prescription from a doctor and sold by pharmacy only.
But there is a huge industry behind the narcotics and an equal one in fighting them.
So not only you are right it is much more.

YOu really have not looked at cities like Portland or Vancouver.  San Francisco is another spot to look.  Making drugs legal or at least a minor chrge does not work people more people buy and more people get addicted.  

Where I will agree to a point is if they make it legal but restrict where it can be sold and who can make the drugs then there is a benefit because you know people are not getting stuff that is laced with other things like fentanyl.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/12/2023 at 10:10 AM, Snig27 said:

Where I live in central Bangkok there are many, many shops openly trading and doing decent business. The cops have closed down literally none in the past nine months. They are are all licensed and display the license and seem to be operating without any issue. I don’t smoke it but as I’m a local I chat with the owners of a couple of these now and then. They are fully approved and pay taxes etc. They have been inspected by a variety of government agencies and continue to be. The government has deemed them legit. 

Decent business? More than the som tum girl?

29 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

No there are going to be a lot of business people that are going to lose money.  You can not hide a place like Wonderland in NANA it is too big an operation.  as well as all the other shops that have opened.  

Going to be interesting to see what landlords and businesses do.;

have the boiler room guys branched out?

• Like 1

One thing that needs to be reminded is that the medical stablishment does recognise the power of Cannabis as medicine but only the CBD component, the THC component is responsible for the "high" effects of Cannabis in the brain and the medical stablishment does think that it's potentially dangerous in some people, this is a fact, a scientific fact, even though I personally believe that it should be legal, for responsible adults, of course, never teenager, never! 

• Like 2

It creates the perfect environment for corruption.

RTP officer finds weed on someone, you pay now! and all involved go about their day.

The shop stays open.

The person in possession walks.

The tourist pays special tourist price.

No arrest, no lawyers, no record.

• Thumbs Up 1