What Size Tumbler (Your-Favorite-Size) Helps Keep You HYDRATED During the HOT Season in Thailand?

9 minutes ago, moogradod said:

No need to make the almond syrup by yourself. It is readily available. I have always used the "Monin" Brand, which features as well very many other syrups.

I was not aware that CM had a "Writers "Bar". 

Nah, Trader Vic's make their own syrup too. Go to an upscale Tiki bar in NYC or New Orleans. Home-made orgeat is a point of pride -and you can add other flavors. Cocktails are about snob appeal and barely perceptible micro-differences.

CM's Writer's bar (orig old bar and lighting fixtures) is well, reviewed. A 3/4-sized, smaller version of that drink is 150 baht.

35 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Personally, I am more afraid of people who are "too normal" and don't have an eccentric bone in their body.

You just described all of my 'proper' neighbours - I'm not going to be able to sleep easy now...

40 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Nah, Trader Vic's make their own syrup too. Go to an upscale Tiki bar in NYC or New Orleans. Home-made orgeat is a point of pride -and you can add other flavors. ..................................

You mean the secret ingredience in their (phantastic) Menehune Juice (tasted in both their Bar in the Bayrischer Hof, Munich and in their dependance in Thonburi ? Munich was better. But granted, I have always thought what they put in there. Tasty.

I think you can as well distinguish between a classical old fashioned bar and those more modern versions. I doubt that Harry's Bar in Paris make their own syrup. Although.....indeed it is a bit about pride, if one would call that "snob appeal" or not I will leave open to the public. I started Cocktail Mixing around 1985, but I have never been to the US - sure some marvels to find there, too. It's not only the drink but the setting as well. And to come back to the topic: The glass is as well very much important.

Cocktail mania knows no bounds and that goes quadruple for the Tiki side of things.

Had a single Galangal sour here.  Never saw it again. Like a daiquiri with balls. If ever there was a drink to dethrone the Aperol Spritz.......

Like the high end stereo thread in the lounge, we're talking about some very bygone pleasures like having the right glass. Anyone under 55 probably isn't ordering a Mai Tai at all.

6 hours ago, freedomnow said:

I'm calling this OP ChatGPT for sure now....join the dots...chatGPT integrated into the site. The style is so bizarre.....

If this is a human, I'd have him/her sectioned into a padded room for greater populace safety...

This is his standard posting except he normally post 20 responses to his own question 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, transam said:

I like any glass that has a handle on it.................:sorry:

I would have thought a glass with a steering wheel would be more your style...........

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

One of the PRIME reasons, as Miss Brodie often stated, why I so much LOVE glass, is that glass is one of the few beautiful examples of a super-cooled liquid at room temperature. 

I know you all agree with the logic of Miss Jeane Brodie. 

So, Listen Up!, girls. 

My favorite & daily use tumbler is a 30oz "Yeti" style that my wife gave me as a birthday gift..... Usually for water, Coke Zero, or Rum & Coke when we karaoke.....I had a red one made for her, from trip's memories.....She uses it for travel, then keeps it boxed.....

If we are celebrating something, we use the goblets from the Madonna Inn (California) as our go to for special occasions.....

IMG20230515091614.jpg

IMG20230515091625.jpg

IMG20230515091933.jpg

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't do 'tumblers" as I wasn't raised in a barn.

And this is Upper Darby Talk... For What? 

Jingthing, I think I love you.... 

But, I wanna know, for sure. 

Jingthing, you MOVE me... 

By the way, my rather innocent quip alluding to Ms. Jeane Brodie was nothing more than my reaffirmation of my continuing preference for all things of Scotland. 

Someday, I will visit Scotland, and I will take the measure of Scottish trout...Maybe not now, but soon.

I just cannot imagine that my days here in Thailand will end before seeing Scotland. 

My days posting on TV began with Scotland, and may they end, too, when my hoof touches the blessed soil of that faraway land. 

Glass and glasses are things I love. 

Therefore, please pray for me that I breathe my last breath with my nose in a priceless Scotch-whiskey snifter. 

Mixed drinks, like Mai Tai, are for girls. 

MaoTai Jiu and Scottish Whiskey are reserved for men. 

2 hours ago, quake said:

Das Boot.

boot.JPG

I read the book. 

Das Boot (German pronunciation: [das ˈboːt], English: The Boat) is the title of a 603-page 1973 German novel by Lothar-Günther Buchheim (1918-2007), which deals with the author's personal experiences recorded as a war correspondent on U-boat submarines.

Fantastic read! 

I highly recommend it to everyone. 

14 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I read the book. 

Das Boot (German pronunciation: [das ˈboːt], English: The Boat) is the title of a 603-page 1973 German novel by Lothar-Günther Buchheim (1918-2007), which deals with the author's personal experiences recorded as a war correspondent on U-boat submarines.

Fantastic read! 

I highly recommend it to everyone. 

I have read this book three times. 

I read it twice in Taipei. 

In my opinion, German culture has almost always been outstanding. 

And, in fact, Noam Chomsky agrees. 

German tumblers, for example, are super high quality, and consequently more expensive than Asian glass, and Asian ceramics. 

There is just something about glass furnaces and ceramic kilns which turns me on. 

Most girls in Pattaya have never even seen a firey pot, such as the Germans'. 

Need I go on? 

9 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

One of the PRIME reasons, as Miss Brodie often stated, why I so much LOVE glass, is that glass is one of the few beautiful examples of a super-cooled liquid at room temperature. 

I know you all agree with the logic of Miss Jeane Brodie. 

So, Listen Up!, girls. 

It's a common misconception glass is a super-cooled liquid, it's actually an amorphous solid, meaning it is not ordered like crystals.

The erroneous conclusion arose from the observation medieval glass panes were thicker at the bottom than the top.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

It's a common misconception glass is a super-cooled liquid, it's actually an amorphous solid, meaning it is not ordered like crystals.

The erroneous conclusion arose from the observation medieval glass panes were thicker at the bottom than the top.

Leave it to Beaver to set the record straight. 

But then, can you explain clearly the mechanism for grinding optics for telescopes? 

And, why will glass drip due to gravity, given sufficient time? 

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Leave it to Beaver to set the record straight. 

But then, can you explain clearly the mechanism for grinding optics for telescopes? 

And, why will glass drip due to gravity, given sufficient time? 

I am not omniscient, I can't help you with grinding glass. It would be bad optics if I attempted to do so.

Glass does not drip with gravity, that's a furphy.

On 5/14/2023 at 4:17 PM, richard_smith237 said:

A thread about the type of glass we prefer to drink from... 

Just when I thought we’d run out of topics this golden droplet of excitement blesses our screen !!..

I can’t wait for the responses...   I’ll start...  something without holes that successfully meets its design objective... :whistling:

Surely it has to have ONE hole? 

On 5/16/2023 at 4:57 AM, Lacessit said:

I am not omniscient, I can't help you with grinding glass. It would be bad optics if I attempted to do so.

Glass does not drip with gravity, that's a furphy.

Glass might drip with gravity if gravity has enough force, and given the right temperature.  I have actually seen this happen on planet Earth.

On 5/16/2023 at 10:47 PM, Speedhump said:

Surely it has to have ONE hole? 

It may have two holes which makes it totally different from a topology view.

Here is an easy example of a designer glass with two holes:

image.png.b0fd630e097664f75b4281c5a5d6dfe3.png

Which raises the question: is this still a glass ? And if not, why not ? What is it that constitutes a "glass" anyway and is this a characteristic somehow hidden in the object itself ? Or is it but a concept  - actually only manifested by your mind but in itself non-existent - although you can use it to drink from ?

@richard_smith237 You asked for it. :sorry: I could not resist.

Edited by moogradod
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Which raises the question: is this still a glass ? And if not, why not ? What is it that constitutes a "glass" anyway and is this a characteristic somehow hidden in the object itself ? Or is it but a concept  - actually only manifested by your mind but in itself non-existent - although you can use it to drink from ?

Yes I meant 'at least one hole' (vocalised with stress on 'least', and with a risung tone on 'hole'), and which I'm guessing that you guessed. But fair play, my reply was imprecisely worded, I concede.????

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Glass might drip with gravity if gravity has enough force, and given the right temperature.  I have actually seen this happen on planet Earth.

I will concede it does drip with gravity when it is molten. As a solid, no.

43 minutes ago, moogradod said:

The only users I can see for this type of glass are people with two heads.