Voters missing yesterday’s general election should submit reasons by this week

snoop1130

35 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Is it not 100% mandatory to Vote in some Western countries?

I don't remember it ever been rolled ot in the last 5 elections. Strange that.

Are you an apologists trying to justify this!

Yes Australia, you pay a 100$ fine (if I remember) if you don't vote but it does not equate to this nonsense.

According to the law, failure to participate in an election is not a legal offense, but it revokes their rights to oppose election results in two years, to hold a political position, and to hold a local administrative position.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

This is the first time I have ever heard of such a rule.  So use your voting right or loose it....thats something that could be used elsewhere.

is that what it really means ? 

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

but it revokes their rights to oppose election results in two years, to hold a political position, and to hold a local administrative position

does the language mean that they cannot vote or does it only mean they are not allowed to do certain things. tricky wording. 

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

This is the first time I have ever heard of such a rule.  So use your voting right or loose it....thats something that could be used elsewhere.

This Thai law has been around for a  l....o.....n.....g time.  No one looses their "voting right," but as the article states some restriction over the following two years could apply...quote from article below.    For most non-voters these restrictions are non-applicable to their day to day life, work, etc.   From my experience with Thai family/friends non-voters are usually "old" folks who have a hard time getting to the voting location due to age/mobility problems, don't understand the simple ballot marking/voting process, and of course those who have simply loss interest in voting.   And you have voters of any age who simply don't want/can not travel back to their voting province (i.e., how they are registered in their house registration/blue book).

According to the law, failure to participate in an election is not a legal offense, but it revokes their rights to oppose election results in two years, to hold a political position, and to hold a local administrative position. 

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I believe it is in Australia!

Correct. Failure to vote carries a fine of $50 or perhaps more now.

The result is that Spoiled Ballot now polls strongly in most seats in Australian elections.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

sorry but my gf wants to know if she is going to get the 10k if she did not go home to vote

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I have some Thai friends who live and work in my province, yet are registered at family homes up country... they said they would not travel home to vote.

Are they only allowed to vote in person in their registered home constituency?

No postal vote?

Or are they just being lazy by not finding a solution? 

9 hours ago, d4dang said:

sorry but my gf wants to know if she is going to get the 10k if she did not go home to vote

PT didn't win, so she's not getting 10k (nothing to do with whether she voted or not) . That election promise was based on them winning and forming the government (not being chosen to be part of it). MFP won and are forming the government. The 10k is dead in the water. 

21 minutes ago, SABloke said:

PT didn't win, so she's not getting 10k (nothing to do with whether she voted or not) . That election promise was based on them winning and forming the government (not being chosen to be part of it). MFP won and are forming the government. The 10k is dead in the water. 

My BIL will be pissed because that is the only reason why he voted PT :whistling:

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

To avoid this repercussion, anyone who did not vote in the latest general election is encouraged to submit their reasoning to the relevant officials,

Reason number 1 - 'I was hoping for a better offer for my vote.'

• Thumbs Up 1

My TGF tried to change her voting location from Issan place of origin to Bangkok, thought she had it done, then they said no. She has said if she didn't participate then the local officials (where she still has business interests) will drag their feet when she tries to get some cooperation from them in various matters. This seems related to the OP.

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I have some Thai friends who live and work in my province, yet are registered at family homes up country... they said they would not travel home to vote.

Are they only allowed to vote in person in their registered home constituency?

No postal vote?

Or are they just being lazy by not finding a solution? 

For those friends "in Thailand" they have to vote "in-person" at their registered home district "unless" they apply to vote early at selected early voting locations across Thailand....but an early voting location could still be a good distance away.

For those Thais "living  outside or traveling outside Thailand" on election day they could register for early voting at a Thai embassy/consulate and then that Thai embassy/consulate would mail them ballots which the voter then returns to the embassy/consulate by a certain date which in-turn mails the ballots to Thailand via express/diplomatic mail to be counted on election day. 

So, no voting by mail if "in Thailand," but if living in/traveling outside Thailand on election day then voting by mail is possible.