Jomtien's gone rogue on Non-Imm O visa

7 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Sorry you are having so much consternation over this.  To play by the rules, put over 800K in a bank account today and do a border run to get the 2 months needed before applying for your Non-O VIsa.     Problem solved. 

The 2 months will pass quickly and years from now you will forget all about it

If leaving Thailand to get extra time anyway, it may be just as easy to apply for the Non O visa at a consulate, forgetting about doing so in Jomtien where they might find other ways to make the application difficult.

12 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Nah, you failed to add in the pissed off factor. I have a Thai bank account, was waiting for good exchange Rate when I heard of new rule of 2 months seasoning for non-O. By that that time I missed the window of 60 day seasoning. Never want to go to Jomtien immigration again so O-A visa is perfect

O-A is a mistake, most people switch to O.

Note Jomtien said to me this 2 month seasoning 3 years ago, so I don't think a new thing

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

My opinion which people can take it or leave it.

There is nothing to complain about and nobody to complain to.

Why?

Conversion to an O visa IN THAILAND is by definition at the officer's discretion.

It's pure folly to view this as something to be taken for granted or viewed as having the same predictability as extensions

You will need to explain why issuing a non-immigrant visa is MORE at the discretion of the officer than issuing an extension.

In both cases, there's an official set of requirements that need to be met. And in both cases, there can be extra requirements imposed by the immigration office you use.

I don't see any difference really. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Note Jomtien said to me this 2 month seasoning 3 years ago, so I don't think a new thing

And yet no-one reported it as breaching rules to get pay off 

Main point of thread, get it on Pattaua News

36 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Nah, you failed to add in the pissed off factor. I have a Thai bank account, was waiting for good exchange Rate when I heard of new rule of 2 months seasoning for non-O. By that that time I missed the window of 60 day seasoning. Never want to go to Jomtien immigration again so O-A visa is perfect

There is also another option (if you meet the requirements) that would allow you to stay in Thailand without setting a foot in the Jomtien hell-hole Imm Office.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1294207-non-o-visa-retirementsavann/#comment-18067685

The link above confirms that you can still get a 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa for reason of RETIREMENT when applying for it at the Savannakhet Consulate.  

The main document for such application being an official PENSION statement for an amount that meets the requirements (+65.000 THB monthly).   

The OP of that link successfully used a letter from the Australian Government, Department of Veterans'Affairs STATEMENT OF PENSION that his pension exceeds 65,000 THB a month

The main drawback of that 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa is that it only provides you with a 90-day Permit to stay on entry, after which you need to leave the country, and of course can immediately return which will provide you with a new 90-day Permit to stay.  When you exit and re-enter Thailand at the end of that 1-year Visa you can thus get 15 months of stay out of that Visa, with no need for 90-day reports, nor semi-permanently parking funds on a Thai bank-account or visits to Immigration.

Edited by Red Phoenix

4 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

There is also another option (if you meet the requirements) that would allow you to stay in Thailand without setting a foot in the Jomtien hell-hole Imm Office.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1294207-non-o-visa-retirementsavann/#comment-18067685

The link above confirms that you can still get a 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa for reason of RETIREMENT when applying for it at the Savannakhet Consulate.  

The main document for such application being an official PENSION statement for an amount that meets the requirements (+65.000 THB monthly).   

The OP of that link successfully used a letter from the Australian Government, Department of Veterans'Affairs STATEMENT OF PENSION that his pension exceeds 65,000 THB a month

The main drawback of that 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa is that it only provides you with a 90-day Permit to stay on entry, after which you need to leave the country, and of course can immediately return which will provide you with a new 90-day Permit to stay.  When you exit and re-enter Thailand at the end of that 1-year Visa you can thus get 15 months of stay out of that Visa, with no need for 90-day reports, nor semi-permanently parking funds on a Thai bank-account or visits to Immigration.

Thanks but I'm 57, way too young to get a pension and I would never qualify for pension anyway

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Note that a possible workaround is to apply in Bangkok. If you check into a hotel in Bangkok, and apply for the visa there, Immigration will accept the explanation that you are staying in hotels while looking for a permanent place to live.

This too, is what I would advise, if you prefer to get the ball rolling without using an agent. Up to the OP.  The Bangkok office, CW, unlike the one at Jomtien, doesn't go rogue. Take care of business there and the OP can be squared away without having to deal with Jomtien's wildcat requirement. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rwilem said:

This too, is what I would advise, if you prefer to get the ball rolling without using an agent. Up to the OP.  The Bangkok office, CW, unlike the one at Jomtien, doesn't go rogue. Take care of business there and the OP can be squared away without having to deal with Jomtien's wildcat requirement. 

Surely that requires me to rent a condo in Bangkok whereas I have owned a Condo in Pattaya for 15 years requiring no rent?

32 minutes ago, Caldera said:

You will need to explain why issuing a non-immigrant visa is MORE at the discretion of the officer than issuing an extension.

In both cases, there's an official set of requirements that need to be met. And in both cases, there can be extra requirements imposed by the immigration office you use.

I don't see any difference really. 

Because granting a VISA when you're already in the country the VISA is for is an extraordinary accommodation.

It's not as easy or automatic as most people seem to think.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 4

21 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Surely that requires me to rent a condo in Bangkok whereas I have owned a Condo in Pattaya for 15 years requiring no rent?

Nope, a hotel or guesthouse will be sufficient. That will be the address you use on the application form. Even better, check that the place will file a TM-30, that'll make it official.

Edited by rwilem

9 minutes ago, rwilem said:

Another alternative is to do a border-run which would provide a 30-day permit to stay on entry (when necessary followed by a 30-day extension of stay), this in order to achieve the Jomtien 60 day seasoning requirement for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

3 minutes ago, rwilem said:

Nope, a hotel or guesthouse will be sufficient. That will be the address you use on the application form. Even better, check that the place will file a TM-30, that'll make it official.

A TM-30 requires you to state the entire time of stay. One night in a hotel or guesthouse doesn't meet that requirement for non-imm O 90 day stay

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

The paperwork garbage is now complete and I'll get my passport back in a week.

You mean that they kept it, which I understand to be illegal (sorry this is Thailand), leaving you exposed to a fine or worse for not having your passport on you or being unable to produce it in a reasonable amount of time if you ever stopped.

Don't say nobody gets stopped in the street because I have been, and look at all the bar checks that are happening now, to weed out overstayers, etc..

44 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:
51 minutes ago, rwilem said:

A TM-30 requires you to state the entire time of stay. One night in a hotel or guesthouse doesn't meet that requirement for non-imm O 90 day stay

Not too sure about that. The TM-30 doesn't necessarily require a leaving date, when I've done my own.

I did this, though not quite the same thing years ago. Staying in Pattaya, but I went to Bangkok to do the one-year extension to a single-entry 90-day Non-O acquired in the home country. Stayed at a guesthouse, made sure a TM-30 was filed. Reason I went to CW was just to deal with an on-the-up-and-up office, and knowing from my research I'd get my passport back at the time of the extension with no 'under consideration' period. Friends in Pattaya had assured me that I'd get an 'under consideration' period there, as the folks in Pattaya were telling me that would be the case if I did this at the Jomtien office. They also thought I'd get that in Bangkok, too, but my reading all the reports here informed me I'd be done and out the day of the extension application.

I didn't want have the thing held up a month, so I went to Bangkok. Just a single trip, because I already had that Non-O visa, met the requirements, and got the one-year extension, and of course, no 'under consideration' review or anything.

Back in Pattaya a few days later, I recall some of the 'old hands' there were astonished that it was all done. They had actually thought I was screwing up by going to Bangkok to do it. But that was the easier way for me, in my case.

You have an extra step to negotiate, but doing it there could still be the smoothest path. But an agent can make everything right for you in Pattaya, too, this is true. 

Edited by rwilem
  • Confused 1

Let me clean this up, too late to edit

Not too sure about that. The TM-30 doesn't necessarily require a leaving date.

I almost the same thing, though  years ago. Staying in Pattaya, but I went to Bangkok to do the one-year extension to a single-entry 90-day Non-O. Stayed at a guesthouse, made sure a TM-30 was filed. Went to CW just to deal with an on-the-up-and-up office, And my research here informed me there'd be no 'under consideration' period, uf I did it in Bangkok.  Friends in Pattaya assured that I'd get an 'under consideration' period, that was the Jomtien practice. Who wants that? (They also thought Bangkok, too, would do that. I had read the reports, and It was worth it to me to just go to Bangkok and take care of it in one go there.)

Only needed the single trip to CW, as I already had the Non-O visa. I met the requirements, and got the one-year extension, without 'under consideration'.

Back in Pattaya a few days later, I recall some of the 'old hands' there were quite surprised. But that was the easier way for me, in my case.

You have an extra step to negotiate, but you won't have any two-month rogue seasoning requirement to deal with. Even with the extra step for you doing it there might be the smoothest path. Though an agent can make everything right for you in Pattaya, too, this is true

7 minutes ago, rwilem said:

I almost the same thing, though  years ago. Staying in Pattaya, but I went to Bangkok to do the one-year extension to a single-entry 90-day Non-O.

That is not what the OP is about.

You applied for extension.

Seems that you entered with a non O.

The OP is applying for non O retirement from visa exempt entry. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, rwilem said:

Let me clean this up, too late to edit

Not too sure about that. The TM-30 doesn't necessarily require a leaving date.

I almost the same thing, though  years ago. Staying in Pattaya, but I went to Bangkok to do the one-year extension to a single-entry 90-day Non-O. Stayed at a guesthouse, made sure a TM-30 was filed. Went to CW just to deal with an on-the-up-and-up office, And my research here informed me there'd be no 'under consideration' period, uf I did it in Bangkok.  Friends in Pattaya assured that I'd get an 'under consideration' period, that was the Jomtien practice. Who wants that? (They also thought Bangkok, too, would do that. I had read the reports, and It was worth it to me to just go to Bangkok and take care of it in one go there.)

Only needed the single trip to CW, as I already had the Non-O visa. I met the requirements, and got the one-year extension, without 'under consideration'.

Back in Pattaya a few days later, I recall some of the 'old hands' there were quite surprised. But that was the easier way for me, in my case.

You have an extra step to negotiate, but you won't have any two-month rogue seasoning requirement to deal with. Even with the extra step for you doing it there might be the smoothest path. Though an agent can make everything right for you in Pattaya, too, this is true

Application for a Non O visa at Immigration is taken under consideration.

There is no under consideration period for a 12-month extension on the basis of retirement. However, if you apply in Jomtien, you will probably need to come back the next day to receive your passport with the approved extension stamp.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That is not what the OP is about.

You applied for extension.

Seems that you entered with a non O.

The OP is applying for non O retirement from visa exempt entry. 

Understood, and I know what he's doing. Making clear, even with the extra step involved for him, doing it all in Bangkok, or elsewhere, is an alternative worth giving some thought to, instead of being captive to the roadblocks at Jomtien.

Edited by rwilem

3 minutes ago, rwilem said:

Understood, and I know what he's doing. Making clear, even with the extra step involved for him, doing it all in Bangkok, or elsewhere, is an alternative worth giving some thought to, instead of being captive to the roadblocks at Jomtien.

It's very messy.

Thinking after he obtains non O in Bangkok he would need to do FIRST extension in Bangkok.

Yes after that he could do TM30 change of address back to Pattaya for ongoing extensions.

Messy. Better options available. 

Already outlined in thread. 

25 minutes ago, BritTim said:

There is no under consideration period for a 12-month extension on the basis of retirement. However, if you apply in Jomtien, you will probably need to come back the next day to receive your passport with the approved extension stamp.

I get that, too. This was ten years ago, and my recall for what the situation was then--the first extension--was not going to be a one day deal, for the under consideration. It was going be some time, I want to say a month even, and the word confirmed by trustworthy, experienced guys there. That's what spurred me to just do it in Bangkok, to be done with all of it in one go on extension day.

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's very messy.

Thinking after he obtains non O in Bangkok he would need to do FIRST extension in Bangkok.

Yes after that he could do TM30 change of address back to Pattaya for ongoing extensions.

Messy. Better options available. 

Already outlined in thread. 

Depends. Border run, extension, yeah. But say a guy has some reasons to want to stop in at Bangkok, has some other business or things to do, doesn't have to  have to be all about the immigration issues. That works, too. 

5 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Like the OP wrote, Jomtien by requiring 2 month seasoning of the +800K on your personal Thai bank-account when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, makes it very difficult for Newbies arriving on a TouristVisa or VisaExempt, to meet that requirement when they still need to open a Thai bank-account.  

One option for them is to do a border-run after they have opened the bank-account and transfered the required funds from abroad, as that will provide them with a 30-day VisaExempt entry which can be extended with an additional 30 days, thus meeting that Jomtien-only requirement of having seasoned the funds for 2 months at initial application for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa.

The reason for that rogue Imm Office behavior is also clear > it drives Newbies exasperated by these shenanigans to make use of a Visa agent, which guarantees some 'brown envelopes with content' for the corrupt Immigration officers at that rogue office. 

Anyone ever try to guesstimate the amount of "fees" collected for jomtiem immigration agents over a year?  Seems a $1000-1500 usd fee is fairly common to get one year visa/bank account/handled.  And from reading threads and hearing farangs talk/brag/complain  about how much they paid there are lots of customers around.  So do the agents give half or more of their "fee" to the immigration officers who grease the wheels?  Is it a flat fee per visa?  Do the gals who actually sit and do the paper work get a cut or is only the big bosses who reap the rewards?

i bet there are a lot of bmw's and mercedes and rolex watches owned by a lot of immigration officers and agents....if Thai govt actually wanted to clean it up i suspect about a one week investigation would identify the agents and the recipients of the funds....and yet it goes on in the open day after day after day.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, pomchop said:

Thai govt actually wanted to clean it up i suspect about a one week investigation would identify the agents and the recipients of the funds....and yet it goes on in the open day after day after day.

Welcome to thailand.

Did you arrive this week. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Because granting a VISA when you're already in the country the VISA is for is an extraordinary accommodation.

It's not as easy or automatic as most people seem to think.

It's an official procedure with official requirements and an officially numbered form (TM86, TM87).

There really isn't anything extraordinary about it that makes it much different from applying for an extension.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, pomchop said:

i bet there are a lot of bmw's and mercedes and rolex watches owned by a lot of immigration officers and agents....if Thai govt actually wanted to clean it up i suspect about a one week investigation would identify the agents and the recipients of the funds....and yet it goes on in the open day after day after day.

And that is the reason why, the likes of big joke,  needs to come to to this cesspool of corruption at Jomtien. and clean house and put a stop to it all.

How sad, it is now days at Jomtien immigration.

Thailand shades it's self everyday in many ways. 

this is just one. there are many more in the land, every day.

Time to grow up Thailand. and put big pants on.

Edited by quake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

This is totally different to the rest of the country who only require funds in bank day of application.

Last I checked other parts of the country require it to mature for 2 months too.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1