Move Forward confident of majority with six-party coalition

snoop1130

13 minutes ago, wordchild said:

Really inspirational, maybe there is some hope for the future of this country.

fingers crossed!

If Pheu Thai accept MF's win graciously, then there is hope, but if they betray them, then all hell breaks loose.

It will not work, it will be horse trading the whole time, in government's before Tucksin had a majority, where coalitions governments happened parties were leaving and joining the whole time, how much time was spent was spent basically arguing when they should have been governing the country.

I see the election results are not yet a week old and the knifes are already out.

He also said that the Move Forward party and its leader are ready to be examined by the Senate over what some may see as controversial issues, such as its policy to amend the lèse majesté law and Pita’s share ownership in the ITV broadcasting company.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, wordchild said:

fingers crossed!

My fingers are so crossed right now, and have been since Sunday night, that I'm having to ask other people nearby, every evening, to kindly open my beer cans, if they wouldn't mind. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

We've known this for some time but it depends on Pheu Thai. Will they jump ship and form their own coalition? I don't think so. They would have to align with the military. Having a majority in the House of Reps as we know does not guarantee formation of govt. due to the double house sitting and the gang of 250 senators selecting the new PM who can then select their own cabinet. Yes they (MFP coalition) will be a majority (if PT stay in the coaltion) but the question is will they be a majority in government or in opposition. If they are a majority opposition then parliament will be unworkable and dissolved as soon as there is a vote of no confidence in the minority govt. Thailand has an extremely complex political system but this of course became more complex in 2017 when Prayut planted his mates in the Senate.

Again I say BJT might join the coalition which will take them over the line or the senators will abandon ship or maybe both. Very intriguing indeed.

Good oversight. Well said. ????

(Sadly btw, it seems BJT, have taken their pieces of silver already. They now stand 4-square where I hoped they might not, but it is thus. ????)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bannork said:

If Pheu Thai accept MF's win graciously, then there is hope, but if they betray them, then all hell breaks loose.

So far it seems strongly, many report, they are accepting the  MF win.

• Like 2

Leaders Of Move Forward-Led Coalition Hold First Meeting
By Thai Newsroom Reporters

image.jpeg

Move Forward leader Pita Limjaroenrat shaking hands with Pheu Thai party leader Chonlanan Srikaew. Photo: Thai Rath

THE LEADERS OF SEVEN PARTIES which have tentatively formed a Move Forward-led coalition government following Sunday’s general election today (May 17) held their first meeting at a ritzy Bangkok restaurant.

Move Forward leader Pita Limjaroenrat and Move Forward secretary-general Chaithawat Tulathon held an informal talk over dinner about the Move Forward-led coalition government with Pheu Thai leader Chonlanan Srikaew, Pheu Thai secretary-general Prasert Chanthararuangthong, Prachachart leader Wan Muhammad Nor Matha, Thai Sang Thai leader Sudarat Keyurapan and Thai Liberal leader Seripisut Temiyavej, among others.

The Move Forward-led coalition partners include two splinter parties with only one MP each, namely the Fair Party and the Palang Sangkhom Mai.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/05/17/leaders-of-move-forward-led-coalition-hold-first-meeting/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-05-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wordchild said:

fingers crossed!

I think the next ten years will be better than the last ten.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Ah! I missed that. Thanks. Well that's the end of them. 

In the Nxxxxx yesterday, several of the senators have indicated they will support Pita as PM (repr didn't give a number) and the N report named one senator.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

In the Nxxxxx yesterday, several of the senators have indicated they will support Pita as PM (repr didn't give a number) and the N report named one senator.

I think I read somewhere as of now it is only 6 so need another 60.

Whatever the immediate results of this political bargaining are, it leaves the Military backed parties in a very tricky situation. How can they carry on in government when the entire population knows they don't have a proper mandate from the people?

I would have thought their best hope is to let the new coalition take power and sit back and watch as it disintegrates through infighting. Then a coup?

Maybe a coalition government could act together long enough to change the constitution and deal with the Senate?

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

I truly HOPE that the next ten years will be better than the last ten.

The last years were good...beside Covid...no red shirts no yellow shirts no burning downtown no blocked airports

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, h90 said:

The last years were good...beside Covid...no red shirts no yellow shirts no burning downtown no blocked airports

No freedom of speech, no freedom of protest, children as young as 15 arrested and jailed awaiting trial under section 112 and you call those good years?

Both freedoms allowed in the constitution but NOT under Prayuth.

A nurse being shot and killed in a wat.

The whole country stolen from the people at the point of a gun, and you call those good years?

No election for 5 years although the country and Yingluck's government had already called for an election, yet you call those good years?

When an election was eventually allowed it was rigged. A political leader was stripped of his position and his political party dissolved and 6 million voters were disenfranchised, and you call those good years?

After the election the EC broke its own rules on the number of votes that a political party needed to get a party list seat. And you call those the good years?

Why not be honest and call yourself a junta supporter?

• Sad 1