Can Pita Limjaroenrat Become Prime Minister? Three possible scenarios

webfact

image.jpeg

By Ken Mathis Lohatepanont

As the dust settles on the 2023 general election, minds have turned towards the task of building a coalition. 

Before the election, Dr. Napon Jatusripitak and I had outlined three possible scenarios: 1) the status quo, where the conservative coalition assembled by Prayut in 2019 continues to rule, 2) an opposition landslide, where anti-regime parties sweep parliament and form their own government, and 3) a political crossover, where strange bedfellows like Pheu Thai and Palang Pracharath join forces to form a government. 

It is now clear that an opposition victory has occurred, except in a way that few analysts (or even the most optimistic Move Forward supporters) would have predicted: the largest party in parliament will be Move Forward, followed closely by Pheu Thai. Yet the path towards turning that seats into a Move Forward-led government with Pita Limjaroenrat as prime minister is far from straightforward. In particular, given that he is still many votes away from winning any parliamentary vote, what could happen should a parliamentary deadlock ensue is worth considering. 

Scenario 1: A Move Forward-led Progressive Government

The first possible coalition outcome is the one that Move Forward is currently working on assembling. Pita has now announced a prospective coalition of six parties: Move Forward, Pheu Thai, Thai Sang Thai, Prachachat, Seri Ruam Thai, and Pen Tham. Most of these parties were part of the opposition in the previous parliament; all are oriented as anti-regime parties. Together, this coalition would command 310 seats in parliament, a big majority in the lower house that ordinarily would easily allow Pita to become prime minister.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/49688/can-pita-limjaroenrat-become-prime-minister-three-possible-scenarios/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2023-05-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Thumbs Up 1

MoveForward is going to have to pledge not to pursue ANY reforms of the Institution.

Unfortunately, most of their voters support such reforms, so this will be seen as a failure of democracy.

And if they cave on this they'll have to promise not to let Thaksin return.

Unfortunately, most of the PTP voters support his return.

Three scenarios

MF and PTP cave

Stalemate

Turmoil+coup

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, smedly said:

there will be a lot of boiler room discussions going on, will they get 66 senators onboard - quite possible considering the senate is doomed no matter what happens, some 66 senators could be promised seats in a new senate if they support a MFP coalition while the rest are fired, what comes next is an ammended constitution as first order of buisiness to remove the PM election clauses entirely.

Then another coup - number 23 I think

Sorry but I have to disagree on the point of senators being promised seats. The senate needs to be elected by the people. This can be done in seperate elections if the senate has let's say a six year term whereas the House of Reps is a four year term or together in the case of a double dissolution where both houses are dissolved at the same time necessiting both a vote for the house and the senate. I guess, however, in the short term it is a possible solution until the new constitution is written and sent to referendum.

57 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

A very good article. Will PT jump and risk losing more votes at the next election? Will MFP get 66 senators to come onboard. As I have been saying a minority govt is unworkable so this option seems unlikey but it is a way to cause civil uprest which IMO the army is looking for. Lots of questions raised all because of non democratically elected senators put in to protect the 'three pillars' from the people's wishes. Interesting times. 

PTP can make a successful coalition and if they work good in 4 years MFP will be forgotten...if they work bad MFP will be even stronger...it all depends. Thaksin did always well in elections.

46 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Sorry but I have to disagree on the point of senators being promised seats. The senate needs to be elected by the people. This can be done in seperate elections if the senate has let's say a six year term whereas the House of Reps is a four year term or together in the case of a double dissolution where both houses are dissolved at the same time necessiting both a vote for the house and the senate. I guess, however, in the short term it is a possible solution until the new constitution is written and sent to referendum.

agree the senate needs be elected but there needs to a government willing to do that first - one step at time

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

They would have to dance with the devil. Not sure it will be forgotten. Democrat voters certainly didn't forget. Not sure Thaksin, who has said PT should support MFP (I know maybe not the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth), can change the direction of the voting public demonstrated by a massive mandate for change. The % of the young vote will increase by the nxt election and the mood for change would have grown substantially. PT is in a tricky position and risks losing a lot of their support base.

PTP + BJ should be enough, or (I didn't look it up, maybe another few) and wouldn't anger the red base. Would make PTP the strongest in the coalition. It would allow Thaksin to come home.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

From the Enquirer article the LM law is the sticking point. Pita is standing by his election promise to repeal it (good for him) while the others, who might join him, are terrified.

Interesting times. Time for cojones to be counted.

8 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

BJT has said that they will NOT join the MF coalition due to their position on reforms of the Institution. But there could more "asks".?

Democrat Party said the same thing about not supporting Pita. Pita can't relent and disappoint his supporters. He may come up with a statement to leave LM reform as not his immediate priority but will not placate the oppositions as they unlikely to trust him. I think that opens up a possibility of nominating Sreetha as the PM. His stance on LM is more moderate and maybe more palatable to the senators. Pita will get a senior cabinet post like defence or foreign minister as well as deputy PM. If Sreetha gets the nod, pressure on the BJT and DM to make their pro democracy stand in line with the voters sentiment. I think PTP is in a better position to bring few senators on board. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

I admire your optimism and support your last thought; but after a lifetime of entitlement the medal-bedecked generals will not give up easily.

Maybe not. Or just maybe. Perhaps their time has come and gone. Perhaps they realize this. Perhaps this is a whole new world. Perhaps they have stolen enough billions of dollars to be content with their ill gotten wealth. Perhaps the era of the dinosaur is over, and the youth will prevail.

I know I sound overly optimistic. But, without hope and dreams, what is there? Only bleakness and hopelessness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

BJT has said that they will NOT join the MF coalition due to their position on reforms of the Institution. But there could more "asks".?

yes that is what I mean a coaliton without MF, with PTP and BJT

4 hours ago, h90 said:

PTP + BJ should be enough, or (I didn't look it up, maybe another few) and wouldn't anger the red base. Would make PTP the strongest in the coalition. It would allow Thaksin to come home.

This coalition would still need the support of the military senate.

19 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

This coalition would still need the support of the military senate.

yes but they'll get it if the don't change 112. That would be the easy way out for everyone

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I'm reading elswhere that Pita has announced his coalition and it includes Phue Thai.

yes but I don't know if he get the senators. Without them he can announce what he wants. Next one to build a coalition is than Phue Thai. They say they don't want to change 112 and build a coalition and get the premier. I doubt that Thaksin want to play number 2 behind Pita. With that he (his daughter) get PM and the yellows will happily accept it, the senators will accept it. And more money to share for everyone.
I would be very surprise if that is not widely discussed. I think it would be good...Reforms, new people but with splitting the society.

3 minutes ago, h90 said:

yes but I don't know if he get the senators. Without them he can announce what he wants. Next one to build a coalition is than Phue Thai. They say they don't want to change 112 and build a coalition and get the premier. I doubt that Thaksin want to play number 2 behind Pita. With that he (his daughter) get PM and the yellows will happily accept it, the senators will accept it. And more money to share for everyone.
I would be very surprise if that is not widely discussed. I think it would be good...Reforms, new people but with splitting the society.

It's still dancing with the devil and still needs to be in bed with the gang of 250 going agaist the mandate of the people which is to expunge the military from politics.

7 hours ago, smedly said:

there will be a lot of boiler room discussions going on, will they get 66 senators onboard - quite possible considering the senate is doomed no matter what happens, some 66 senators could be promised seats in a new senate if they support a MFP coalition while the rest are fired, what comes next is an ammended constitution as first order of buisiness to remove the PM election clauses entirely.

Then another coup - number 23 I think

You are assuming that the government can appoint Senators. That's not the case. There is a process described in the constitution for appointing the next Senators, and they won't be selected by the government (of course). The selection committees will likely be stacked by the establishment so there's not much hope about it.

As to changing or amending the constitution, it requires a majority vote of the parliament (375). Moreover, that majority must also include one-third of the Senate, and 20 percent of MPs from all political parties which do not hold positions as cabinet members, Speaker of House of Representatives, or Deputy Speaker of House of Representatives.

https://prachataienglish.com/node/9086

In other words, they're screwed.