Thai Immigration Bureau Intensifies Crackdown on Overstaying Foreigners

webfact

41 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

These are not tourists that they are removing.  My question though is how do these people afford to stay here and what are they doing for money.

Some people have savings, or are digital nomads. Most probably only a tiny minority turn to crime or prosti******.

But this is, of course, no reason to overstay and just 'ignore' immigration laws.

54 minutes ago, dddave said:

I wonder how many of the "1,272" were departing passengers at the airports with a day or two overstay?

I once "overstayed" by '1 day', i.e. I went through immigration well before midnight, but my flight wouldn't depart until about 0:30... Got a stamp 'Overstay' into the passport too...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Sad 1

On 5/20/2023 at 8:01 AM, Andrew65 said:

If Thailand were like the UK we could use 'uman rights legislation to stay in the Land of Smile for the rest of our lives, and at least partly at public expense!????

Does make one wonder why UK is overflowing with Illegal immigration problems (maybe US too) maybe get the Thai IB's people on the case they could sort it all out without problems of 'No Passport' (UK) Walls (USA)

Ahh just remembered why I like LOS, no Woke issues, easy tickets for freebies

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

It's against the law. 

Do you think immigration in your country should take bribes to allow illegals in?

Thailand's immigration problems are a joke. You should see my countries Immigration problems. The poor immigrants are the norm in Thailand and elsewhere.  

That being said last time I saw a post here it was mostly Cambodian's and migrant workers that the Thai employers most likely turned in so they could stiff them on the wages.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

There is no actual "crackdown" this is just the results of the  normal execution of their duties,  The whole charade was just a mutual back patting exercise and an opportunity to blow their own trumpets,   after all there is no praise like self praise

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/20/2023 at 1:27 PM, hotchilli said:

Law abiding ex-pats have nothing to worry about.

Those who are staying under the radar are the ones usually up to no good, aided and abetted by Thais in most cases.

Just like there is no reason to worry about the police or the courts unless one is truly guilty ?

Recently  many of "those up to no good "  were found to have been aided and abetted by immigration!

There is always a good reason for everybody  to worry about  corrupt officials , especially those wearing uniforms, whether guilty or not. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

These are not tourists that they are removing.  My question though is how do these people afford to stay here and what are they doing for money.

The vast majority will have been Burmese , Cambodians and Laotions  working illegally on mainly construction sites or fishing boats, Possibly redundant and surplus to requirements, so the employer either informs immigration  or just stops paying them off.  Its a well organized operation

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 7:36 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

"a clear message to all foreigners residing in Thailand to respect the country's immigration laws and regulations."

Send the same message to the corrupt Immigration Officers that "sell" visas and you will notice a dramatic lowering of the criminal activity immediately.

They dont care about lowering anything, only their jobs and tea money... your helpfull words just annoy them when reminding them what theuy allready know but dont want to do...

23 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

There is no actual "crackdown" this is just the results of the  normal execution of their duties,  The whole charade was just a mutual back patting exercise and an opportunity to blow their own trumpets,   after all there is no praise like self praise

The Telly man! (media) is their tool....   but the facts are different as usual...  like the amazing well paid, well trained amazing officers raiding last known address (yes, these criminals never thought to move right?) of a flagged overstayer (computer says : no extention renewed for years! and no exit at the borders! heyboss, assemble the swat team, we have a clear and present target to take care off!) What?  hes not there?  where on earth could he be?  the rascal has left? what?  without telling anyone? how could this be? what? days of forensic computer, high level analasis and the use of the highly trained swat team wasted?  Reality? - Officer Somchai thought he would enter into the "system" after lunch the reported death of the rascal many years ago when it was dangerously close to his lunch time... of this highly elusive 88 year old...

Or, the data was simply not looked up.... (perhaos the smart car should have been used... you knw the one, parked outside 7/11..  where they make cofee...

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Lokie said:

Does make one wonder why UK is overflowing with Illegal immigration problems (maybe US too) maybe get the Thai IB's people on the case they could sort it all out without problems of 'No Passport' (UK) Walls (USA)

Ahh just remembered why I like LOS, no Woke issues, easy tickets for freebies

Thailand NO ID OK we arrest  you anyway.

UK NO ID we let you go 

US welcome y'all come in and set right down where ever you want we give you free hotel and meals.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/20/2023 at 1:54 PM, Taboo2 said:

This is not complicated.  Why  is this news?

Simple solution.  Come to Thailand, stay for the duration that they give you generously and then leave.  

YOU ARE A GUEST IN THIS COUNTRY!  GET USE TO IT.

YOU WANT TO STAY LONGER, THERE ARE OTHER VISA OPTIONS, WITH THE BEST BEING THAI ELITE IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT.

Keep up the pressure Thai Immigration peeps....show them that you are not as stupid as the Americans, who let anyone in to their country.

Its not news at all , think of it more as a promotional video I don't think it was meant for our eyes at least certainly not as a warning.

I was Surprised that the OP has only translated a small part of the article, the rest of it probably about 80%  was  a further self congratulating report about their "successes "  but in dealing with chinese call center gangs( which is actually a serious issue  with millions of Baht having been stolen)  Why this more serious case was not included in the op  and the op fixated on the lesser victimless  offence of overstaying   is anybody's guess

Is this part of their "public information " campaign do you think ?   I doubt it, they won't have thought of posting on here ...would they ? ?   Although I could see a confidential hotline with a £5000 baht reward being very popular with some people on here    "TVF bounty hunters".  "Grassed up abroad"  They could make a sad reality TV show about it

I'm a bit weary  of those who continually try to lecture others,,  whingeing  on about "being a guest",  being a guest in that context implies that one is staying for free (as in a guest a close friends house for example)   a bit of a burden possibly   and expected  to be somewhat compliant, submissive and grateful

The other context of "guest" would be as a hotel resident  (paying guest) which is a more accurate description, as we do not stay here for free,  we are in effect "customers" . A totally different arrangement  or at least it should be 

Why are you plugging the Elite visa scam (surprised they allowed that too)  do you work for them ?or  are you a customer  (Still in denial)

I do agree with your comments on our home countries immigration failings however, the Thai model seems to work just fine compared to the UK  although they do have their own way of doing things, but why not ? 

Edited by Bday Prang

17 hours ago, dddave said:

I wonder how many of the "1,272" were departing passengers at the airports with a day or two overstay?

I have not heard of people having  apprehension issues at the airport, presuming they can pay their overstay fine of 500/day up to 20,000. These announcements are put out to scare people off and do their job for them. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2023 at 3:16 PM, CM Dad said:

I did all of my visa extensions for more than two decades.  I began using an agent even though I meet all of the requirements for my extensions when  my country's embassy and consulate refused Thai Immigration's insistence that they verify income with more than a notarized letter.  I was growing quite tired of the needless amount of paperwork that seemed to be increasing each year along with the 90-day and TM 30 reports.  I have several times the amount of money in a Thai bank account and more than the needed income, but I opened a separate bank account to use for my visa extensions only and deposited the required  funds.  I pay my very reliable agent, who is also a personal friend, 9,900 baht per year, which includes the 1,900 baht fee, and she handles all of my needed paperwork.  She also does all of my 90-day and TM30 reports.  All I have to do is sign my name innumerable times and spend less than thirty minutes once a year at the Thai Immigration office.  The entire process is well worth the price, time saved and aggravation of the whole process. Most of us who use agents DO meet the requirements to stay long term.  Using an agent is simply more convenient.

"Most of us who use agents DO meet the requirements to stay long term.".  I cannot agree with that statement. MOST that use an agent do NOT meet the requirements. Also by using an agent you are condoning the corruption that is involved, whether you meet the requirements or not.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

"Most of us who use agents DO meet the requirements to stay long term.".  I cannot agree with that statement. MOST that use an agent do NOT meet the requirements. Also by using an agent you are condoning the corruption that is involved, whether you meet the requirements or not.

Spot on Mr Righteous.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/20/2023 at 4:29 PM, Phuket Pete said:

I watched while Agents walked straight into the office with bundles of passports which somehow required no supporting documentation, but no doubt came with a kickback.

I've seen this many times at CW, the key to success is that you must also arrive with boxes of imported oranges. The amount of fruit I watched being delivered to the back cubicles was funny. Bundles of applications, boxes of fruit, this is the Way.

10 hours ago, 300sd said:

So "I don't agree with corruption unless it helps me!"

So, with your obvious extensive unbiased knowledge, how using a legit agent to do the leg work, when you meet all the criteria for an extension is corruption?  With that kind of attitude, you either don't know Thailand at all, or you will get mighty miserable trying to live here. 

Edited by Doctor Tom

I watched while Agents walked straight into the office with bundles of passports which somehow required no supporting documentation

you might have seen them holding a bunch or passport, but how do you know they don't have supporting document, you have x-ray vision or something.

i use an agent to do all my paper work, have all proper paper work, money in bank, etc...all 100% legit, yes agent cut line for me doing all the walking and talking for me, don't be jealous for people that can afford to use agent and stop pulling facts out of your

I overstayed one day, one time in my first year or two, when I thought two brief half days might equal one day lol. Officer who caught it quickly walked to his next up, she scribbled her signature on I don't know what, I was on my way, no fine, nothing in my passport, no consequence then or later.

On 5/20/2023 at 1:54 PM, Taboo2 said:

This is not complicated.  Why  is this news?

Simple solution.  Come to Thailand, stay for the duration that they give you generously and then leave.  

YOU ARE A GUEST IN THIS COUNTRY!  GET USE TO IT.

YOU WANT TO STAY LONGER, THERE ARE OTHER VISA OPTIONS, WITH THE BEST BEING THAI ELITE IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT.

Keep up the pressure Thai Immigration peeps....show them that you are not as stupid as the Americans, who let anyone in to their country.

Jesus Wept, you are next

3 minutes ago, 300sd said:

Yes it's from some survey asking Thais if they agree with corruption. If I remember correctly.

I absolutely believe you.

The honesty,  in dishonesty,  got to laugh. TIT. :cheesy:

• Haha 1

Just now, Doctor Tom said:

So, with your obvious extensive unbiased knowledge, how using a legit agent to do the leg work, when you meet all the criteria for an extension is corruption?  With that kind of attitude, you either don't know Thailand at all, or you will get mighty miserable trying to live here. 

No that is not my attitude. It is a question asked to Thai people and the answer of many. I do not have a link. I happen to know Thailand well thank you. Oh and by the way. You think if the agent pays the Immigration officer some extra to bypass the others waiting in line etc, this is not corruption! It is corruption. So even a little corruption for you is still corruption.

• Thumbs Up 1