Trump’s White House lawyer predicts he’ll end up in jail as Mar-a-Lago probe heats up

Social Media

34 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

He did not declassify the documents he had in his possession at MaraLago I am afraid. Your view and backstopping of the truth you believe is not the same as true life events.  I will agree to disagree with what you think. The President himself does not have wide sweeping declassification powers. To many security issues in those documents which need to be removed or redacted.  

At the time Trump was Potus, he enjoyed the same rights as any other Potus. Thats difficult for the left to accept imop

"The President, after all, is the ‘Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States’" according to Article II of the Constitution, the court’s majority wrote. "His authority to classify and control access to information bearing on national security ... flows primarily from this constitutional investment of power in the President, and exists quite apart from any explicit congressional grant."

Steven Aftergood, director of the Federation of American Scientists Project on Government Secrecy, said that such authority gives the president the authority to "classify and declassify at will."

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2017/may/16/james-risch/does-president-have-ability-declassify-anything-an/

Edited by riclag
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

But claiming to have declassified documents without out any evidence of having done so and only making that claim when no longer in office?

Oh…. And after first claiming somebody planted the classified documents!

I think Jack Smith can work it out.

Smith has a so many targets it must be very hard to decide where to focus.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Anyway, even if they were declassified, they would still be considered sensitive and trump would have no right to keep them. What's more there's very strong evidence that he lied to the justice department about being possession of them. That would be called obstruction of justice.

Yes I will be very surprised if he's not charged with obstruction of justice which of course is a very serious crime.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, riclag said:

At the time Trump was Potus, he enjoyed the same rights as any other Potus. Thats difficult for the left to accept imop

"The President, after all, is the ‘Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States’" according to Article II of the Constitution, the court’s majority wrote. "His authority to classify and control access to information bearing on national security ... flows primarily from this constitutional investment of power in the President, and exists quite apart from any explicit congressional grant."

Steven Aftergood, director of the Federation of American Scientists Project on Government Secrecy, said that such authority gives the president the authority to "classify and declassify at will."

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2017/may/16/james-risch/does-president-have-ability-declassify-anything-an/

Even in case you were right, it would not have much impact. None of the three criminal statutes evoked in his case requires the material to be classified.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

But claiming to have declassified documents without out any evidence of having done so and only making that claim when no longer in office?

Oh…. And after first claiming somebody planted the classified documents!

I think Jack Smith can work it out.

Wrong again

Jan 19, 2021

declassification memo 

He was still in office!

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, riclag said:

Wrong again

Jan 19, 2021

declassification memo 

He was still in office!

So people if you add one plus one such as the 

declassification memo and classify and declassify at will together, a rational person  would think Trump was acting within his Presidential Powers rights afforded to him by the Constitution.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, bignok said:

So you think they ring around before any case has even been heard. That is absurd.

100% logistics will be considered as soon as possible. Already, or now? Maybe not, but hardly absurd. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mikebike said:

No. 

It should reflect the opinion of the society, which may not be 50/50.

I think when it's political, like this - bearing in mind he's the ex president and he's running again - it would be sensible for a 50/50 split.

I mean the timing of all this is just perfect for the democrats right?

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, 2009 said:

I think when it's political, like this - bearing in mind he's the ex president and he's running again - it would be sensible for a 50/50 split.

I mean the timing of all this is just perfect for the democrats right?

So you would prefer that the makeup of the jury NOT reflect the makeup of society. Interesting. ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Here in fact is the linik to that document.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/DCPD-202100044/pdf/DCPD-202100044.pdf

As you'll note, it refers only to Crossfire Hurricane, the FBI Russia-Trump investigation. What's more, it's not even absolute but recognizes that certain documents could be exempt due to national security considerations. But what makes riclag's citing of this document especially bizarre is that it is, in fact,  a document. In other words, it's written. Apparently, Trump didn't believe that a mere verbal authorization was sufficient.

And once again, keep in mind that even if Trump's claims to declassifying were strong, as the 3 judge panel that undid the appointment of a special master noted, that claim was a red herring.

Exactly. There nothing in the memo suggesting that it may apply to the MAL documents. The usual right-wing confusion tactic...

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, riclag said:

Wrong again

Jan 19, 2021

declassification memo 

He was still in office!

Really?

I was under the impression that Trump's last day in office was the morning of January 6th 2020.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Really?

I was under the impression that Trump's last day in office was the morning of January 6th 2020.

Election at the end of 2020, final days in office January 2021.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1