Crazy Amounts New Yorkers spend to live

54 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

People are spending $1,500 a month on yoga and five thousand a month on restaurants.

Spending any money on yoga is obviously wasted.

But 5k per month in restaurants sounds good - if you can afford it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I had $140 rent in in NYC in 1974 and split it 3 ways. I'd be adding an extra zero now and living in a windowless room in The Bronx.

That article made me think of all the glorious unencumbered old guys who sweat not a bit about sailing camp for their kids ($7K per), or paying a grand a month minimum for private school.

Even the dug-in family men here, prob don't spend $500 per kid per month all in. Then there's all the hands-out stuff from schools, charities, family, friends, weddings etc. Just gone here.

It's so good to be off the lifestyle treadmill and live in cheap-land. We eat out every meal and go to a 5* at least once a week. I am going to put our total foodbill at about $12-1500 a month (including daily very wasteful Starbucks delivery, $10 a day).

At $5K a month in New York (presumably for 2 people), that's $165 a day. Hard to get out for less than $80 in a nice cafe for lunch.

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

some people have so much money they don't know how to spend it. 

if you're rich, just the interest in the bank is bringing in 50K per year. 

per month or per year? Because I am not rich and interest I get is $25,000 per year.... on about 500,000 deposited on a one year term.

1 million in NY is poor.

18 minutes ago, Celsius said:

per month or per year? Because I am not rich and interest I get is $25,000 per year.... on about 500,000 deposited on a one year term.

you're richer than a lot of folks. 

wasnt there a mass exodus from new york after covid?

people working online moving to lower rent areas? 

• Like 1

I grew up in slum areas in NYC.  A 2 bedroom railroad apartment was $50/month 1950s/60s.  When the rent went up $2/month it was a big deal.  Mel Brooks grew up in one of those neighborhoods 25 years previous and says rent was $30. 

We had relatives who moved up in the world and moved to Long Island, back then a house was $25k.  Hardly ever saw them again.

I recently heard from a cousin, a young woman attending a famous New England college.  She was excited that after she graduates she'll be moving to one of the old slum neighborhoods, slightly renovated; from a little online perusing the rents there are around $2k for a place the size of a bathroom stall.

One of those neighborhoods has a big movie studio now, in a building that used to be a bread factory.  It shows up a bit in movies and TV shows.

• Like 1

I've moved to many places in the US in my life including some well known desirable areas but New York City was the one place that I started to move to that I quickly aborted. If you can make it there you can make it anywhere is the myth.. Well the sacrifices needed to make it there just weren't worth it to me

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Wife of a friend of mine spent $900 last week in Aus on haircut for her and the granddaughter.

Mine is $20.....not much hair left but still.................

Just plain ridiculous, no sense ...........

Meanwhile house insurance goes up 65% two years in a row.

Everyday groceries up almost 50% on most staples.

Reserve bank trying to put a hold on inflation while the banks and others keep offering incentives for people to spend money they don't have....crazy stuff

They REALLY need to get rid of this government here.

Edited by bluejets
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My OP intent was to highlight all of the stupid stuff back home that we don't have to do: going out for expensive drinking nights, getting emeshed in family $$$ obligations, worrying about your fashion sense, etc.

Thailand is not only cheaper, it's simpler. And simpler feeds into the cheapness. A lot of Nyers in that article are dropping a $1000-2,000 on therapy every month. Not many therapy-goers on the site.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, LaosLover said:

It's so good to be off the lifestyle treadmill and live in cheap-land.

can not agree more, Now that I'm not in it anymore (rat race), you find out how completely unimportant many things are and were that you worked so hard for in your home country. Back to basic and love it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bluejets said:

Wife of a friend of mine spent $900 last week in Aus on haircut for her and the granddaughter.

Reserve bank trying to put a hold on inflation while the banks and others keep offering incentives for people to spend money they don't have....crazy stuff

What government do you endorse ?

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It is not just New York. Nearly any major city in the US now is out of control. Inflation is rampant. Not sure how most are surviving. 

I think we do a disservice to the U.S. when we talk about how high the cost of living is.

Reading about the GTA in Ontario. The costs that were /are increasing in Hongcouver and Montreal I can say that Canada is no different.  There is a reason other than the ladies and the sunshine that I am not living in Canada.

I visited Aus and can say that looking at the prices for hotels and what you get as well as the cost of things that again living in Sydney would not be my choice.

I am sure London and other big cities are the same.  

OP is obviously referring to the high end of the 'haves' and not the majority of citizens.

You can live inexpensively in any country, even the USA, by simply avoiding the metro areas in the USA, or populated coastal areas.

My friends use to think my dining out budget was ridiculous, surpassing some of their yearly incomes.   But then wondered why I never bought new cars, or why I lived in the neighborhoods I did.   Spend here, budget there ... priorities.

44 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

I think we do a disservice to the U.S. when we talk about how high the cost of living is.

Reading about the GTA in Ontario. The costs that were /are increasing in Hongcouver and Montreal I can say that Canada is no different.  There is a reason other than the ladies and the sunshine that I am not living in Canada.

I visited Aus and can say that looking at the prices for hotels and what you get as well as the cost of things that again living in Sydney would not be my choice.

I am sure London and other big cities are the same.  

I go back to the US often. I am astonished at how high the prices are, on so many things. Anything labor related is stupid expensive. A simple lunch for two is $30 to $70 at a casual spot. Inflation is out of control there. 

I don't care if I am doing a disservice by speaking truth. 

Edited by spidermike007

9 hours ago, bluejets said:

I got my haircut and a shave at my local barbers shop in the big village and ir cost 100 baht. A bit like you with not much hair left.

A haircut only is 80 baht.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's interesting that there seems to be an endless fascination--sometimes accompanied by affirmation or disapproval--on what other people spend their money on.  I admit I'm guilty, too--I recently clicked on a Yahoo article to see the house that Beyonce and her husband have just spent $200 million on, apparently the most expensive house sale in California history.  I wasn't impressed when I looked at the photos but, as dear old Dad used to say, 'if you like it, I'm crazy about it'.   If you can afford it, spend on whatever makes you happy, and to heck with what anyone else thinks about it.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

If you have money then why not spend it and enjoy life?  Who are you to decide what is crazy or useless?

What did you expect? most people on here think that paying over 100 baht for a Thai meal is outrageous and unacceptable

Closer to home, a night at the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok will run you from 19500 baht to 430000 baht, depending on the room. The 430000 baht/night suite is fully booked until mid next month.

Enjoy your money. You can't take it with you, and kids generally don't deserve it.

• Like 2