Thai MP-elect aims to break £11bn alcohol duopoly with progressive bill

webfact

7 hours ago, LatPhrao said:

The article seems to be all about the elephants in the room, the beer monopolies.  As it's labelled a 'progressive alcohol bill' would hope that they'll address imported wines and the egregious duties and taxes added on to the cost of goods which makes, must make, wine in Thailand the most ridiculously expensive bottles in the world.

I'll second that and drink to it - if I could afford to! ???? 

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

Sounds like a personal vendetta and a self interest. He’s following in the footsteps of other Thai businessmen turning politicians to enhance their own interest via political means. 
PS not a big beer drinker and I think Thai beers are fine. 

"PS not a big beer drinker and I think Thai beers are fine."

Which is exactly why you think Thai beers are fine! 

A beer drinker knows the difference between beer and lager. For the most part they (Leo, Singha, Chang etc) are not beer - they are lager, and proper beer drinkers know the difference! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The two big beer bards more than likely will open their own small craft breweries under umbrella companies and prepare for the forthcoming beer wars.   They won't let this eat away at their monopoly; their too big and too much money to lose. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I'm guessing here in Thailand the rice they use comes from here. Hops I think is from Germany. The hops is probably quality. You can put a beautiful rose on a turd but it's still a turd.

Maybe you need to google that.

you will get a better understanding of brewing.

Not all beer is to a strict German standard.

special Ingredients will be imported ( expensive )

for your beer snob brews.

That's if you want something different from what's already produced here.

( rose on a turd ) laughable. 

4 hours ago, waders123 said:

The two big beer bards more than likely will open their own small craft breweries under umbrella companies and prepare for the forthcoming beer wars.   They won't let this eat away at their monopoly; their too big and too much money to lose. 

Yeap

That's what they will do.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sambum said:

A beer drinker knows the difference between beer and lager. For the most part they (Leo, Singha, Chang etc) are not beer - they are lager, and proper beer drinkers know the difference! 

The basic difference between these two major beer classifications is how they are fermented. Ales are fermented with top-fermenting yeast at warm temperatures (60˚–70˚F), and lagers are fermented with bottom-fermenting yeast at cold temperatures (35˚–50˚F).

I think the word larger comes from the German language 

its a process, ( to store in a cool place )

could be wrong.

I'm sure someone will know.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, quake said:

Chang is very different than it was back in the day, and it was stronger, in the brown bottles.

Nothing wrong with Varity in beer to chose from,  I'm all for it.

But Beer snobs,  No thank you. they are a terrible bore to be around.

Thai low quality beer is no different from the low quality beer sold all round the world.

Beer snobs go home. :giggle:

Chang gives a bad hangover. Maybe more preservatives.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

Chang gives a bad hangover. Maybe more preservatives.

Maybe , but it may just be you.

Drink enough of it and your get used to it.

I'm fine with it, but prefer the old Chang. think it was 6.3 % very nice. :thumbsup:

Edited by quake

6 minutes ago, quake said:

Maybe , but it may just be you.

Drink enough of it and your get used to it.

I'm fine with it, but prefer the old Chang. think it was 6.3 % very nice. :thumbsup:

It tastes ordinary. Never again.

12 hours ago, Elkski said:

Not sure a good IPA can be made a competitive prices to the USA.  Labor should be lower but water quality sucks, where to import good hops from.  A good IPA needs close to a kg per barrel.  And where to get food barley?  And malted.  

Undrinkable beer in Thailand is a big problem with me.  Yes I found a place in Bangkok that sold some decent imports.  800 bath per bomber.  22 oz.    

Many places to buy the Malts and Hops - as for water - use R.O.  ????

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Plus or minus, they never really knew!

To be honest.

I think it was, and still is a bit of a Thailand  myth.

To make stronger beer, it takes more time and it takes more ingredients.

I cant see them making that mistake on a production line.

but saying that, you do need to stop the brew process to be able to keep a consistent alcohol level in the product. so possible something there.

Who knows.

But it's still a good Thailand talking point over a few cool ones..  :jap:

22 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Note that this duopoly hold a Royal Warrant of Approval (and can display the Royal Garuda symbol), So any perceived minimizing of this status could be viewed in a negative light.

The Garuda on the bottle's neck shows Boonrawd Brewery's royal approval, which is granted only to companies with a long-standing favorable reputation. It received this on 25 October 1939, by a royal warrant signed by King Rama VII's Regent. Boon Rawd is the only brewery in Thailand to receive such a right.[4]

ThaiBev does not have the Royal Warrant of Approval?

35 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

ThaiBev does not have the Royal Warrant of Approval?

I used this list, it could be wrong, but it does list ThaiBev.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Thai_Royal_Warrant_holders

Thai Beverage Co. Ltd (ThaiBev) (multinational breweries and distilleries, 19 September 2013).

https://www.iseas.edu.sg/images/pdf/ISEAS_Perspective_2017_29.pdf

And my mistake, that should be Royal Warrant of Appointment (not Approval).

I assume such an appointment is granted to a Company, and not a single product, but who knows.

3 hours ago, quake said:

The basic difference between these two major beer classifications is how they are fermented. Ales are fermented with top-fermenting yeast at warm temperatures (60˚–70˚F), and lagers are fermented with bottom-fermenting yeast at cold temperatures (35˚–50˚F).

I think the word larger comes from the German language 

its a process, ( to store in a cool place )

could be wrong.

I'm sure someone will know.

"I think the word larger (lager?) comes from the German language"

Yes, you are right, I have just Googled it and "lager" is from  German  - meaning "storehouse.

Funny thing is, "lagerbier" is German for "beer brewed for keeping". I thought you were meant to drink it? ???? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sambum said:

Funny thing is, "lagerbier" is German for "beer brewed for keeping". I thought you were meant to drink it? 

You were, in the warm summer months.

"keeping" means it's brewed in the cooler months, and lagered  in the colder months.

Just now, bamnutsak said:

You were, in the warm summer months.

"keeping" means it's brewed in the cooler months, and lagered  in the colder months.

It was a joke - hence the emoticon!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Hmmm ... I think I would keep any contentious political agenda like breaking the duopoly a little quiet until actually in power. There is no guarantee that Move Forward will secure leadership yet. Me thinks that the horse trading and double dealing has a long way to go and provocation is unlikely to help matters.

My thoughts exactly.

Why make more enemies before you are stronger than them?

8 hours ago, waders123 said:

If it were that simple then they wouldn’t have put so much money and effort in to creating their monopoly.

This will eat away at their profits whilst at the same time benefit consumers through greater choice and more competitive pricing.

This is only the beginning when it comes to demonopolising Thailand - there are better days ahead for all but those who denied Thailand democracy for personal gain.

Edited by MrMojoRisin
  • Haha 1

On 5/24/2023 at 10:36 AM, proton said:

How much tax do they slap on that?

A lot!!!!....1500 Baht a case in Makro. That is about 62 a bottle, whereas in Laos last time I was there it was about 30 Baht a bottle.

15 hours ago, sambum said:

Is lager not a type of BEER, like bitter, mild, Pilsner, IPA all are?

The deputy director-general of the Excise Department stated that the department’s liquor policy is in line with the Move Forward Party‘s Progressive Liquor Act. The proposed Act aims to liberalise liquor production, allowing both small and large producers to enter the market.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/politics/excise-department-supports-move-forward-partys-progressive-liquor-act

17 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Is lager not a type of BEER, like bitter, mild, Pilsner, IPA all are?

Technically, you are quite correct, and as an example,  you will see on the label of  Tiger Beer, "lager beer".

But for simplicities sake, in order to differentiate between the different types, you would not ask for a bottle of "Tiger lager beer", you would simply ask for "a bottle of Tiger".

Similarly, you would not ask for a pint of Guinness stout beer, you would just ask for a "pint of Guinness", or when drinking Theakston's bitter beer, you would ask for a pint of Theakston's".

The point that I was making is that for the most part, the "beers" sold in Thailand are of the lager variety e.g. Tiger, Leo, Singha, Chang, San Miguel etc. The odd exceptions (Guinness etc) are usually much more expensive due to heavy taxation and import duties, so people are "forced" into drinking the more common "lager beers".

• Like 1