Thai Royalists Gather at US Embassy, Petition US to Stop Intervening with Thai Politics

snoop1130

On 5/25/2023 at 1:15 PM, Jingthing said:

As a longstanding friend and ally of Thailand, the United States looks forward to the final results.”

And a lot of good it did the US in 2020....the results were released, but a lot of people think someone stole the election. US should stay out of everyone else's politics. And keep their traps shut.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

Actually we did not let the USA go its own way.

There was a civil war over no taxation without representation during which us Brits lost badly and were kicked out of the USA.

The US were in a similar position to Thailand under the Thai military and its coups.

And look where they are now...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

We are talking about South East Asia here. The Gulf of Tonkin incident started the Vietnam War.
The US supported and propped up the Lon Nol regime which led to the Khmer Rouge taking power in Cambodia. Not to mention your ‘secret war’ and carpet bombing of innocent civilians.

The US then supported the Khmer Rouge as the rightful govt. of Cambodia at the UN even after the extent of the genocide had been uncovered. 

The also supported Khmer Rouge with weapons over Thailand, as they wanted to drag out communists fight communists.

On 5/25/2023 at 7:30 PM, edwinchester said:

Yeah, you'd think they'd have the brains to let the haircuts grow out a bit more before trying on this stunt.

At least they got rid of their army issue shoes,555555

On 5/26/2023 at 11:40 AM, PeeJayEm said:

Do they not fail to realise is that the USA was principally responsible for delivering them the monarchy they have today, having influenced at time of communist insurgency away from totalitarian monarchy toward constitutional and popularised monarchy?

So really shouldn't they should be rolling up at the US embassy to thank them for having given them the current style of monarchy?

Yes, they should bow down to the USA after WW2.  England wanted to decimate Thailand after what they and the Japanese did to the troops during WW2 (River Kwai, etc.).  The US said to England to hold off, we need those airbases in case China <deleted> around and thus we saved Thailand from some serious ass whipping by the UK.

• Thanks 1

I realize this 'thread' has pretty much run it's course but I would like to note one big issue in this discussion. In replying to my first post, an individual made reference to 'your secret war' as though I was personally responsible for US foreign policy and the reference was specifically to the Vietnam war. I was 18 when I received my draft notice in February of 1967. Not old enough to vote but considered old enough to 'fight and die' for my country. Vietnam was a hugely unpopular war in the USA. Lest we forget the students at Kent State University who died when protesting the 'war' in Vietnam and the continued demonstrations against the war. To hold individual citizens accountable for the actions of their government is a form a blind prejudice - but it happened to me when this whole fabricated idea that the CIA was meddling in Thai elections.  Are all the Russian tourists in Phuket responsible for the invasion of Ukraine? No, most are afraid of their own government.

As a 'kid' who was thrust into being into the Army during a time of great confusion in the USA about Vietnam, I have always had a big problem 'reconciling' what happened to the Vietnamese people during that time and I'm sure there are thousands of other veterans who feel the same as I do. As 'Memorial Day' approaches in the USA, I'm sure many other Veterans who saw service during the Vietnam war will feel very conflicted as I do and wonder 'Why was I there?'  'What did we accomplish?' 'Did my government lie to me?'

Had I not had the experience of military service during Vietnam, I think my world view would be much different than it is now. It's easy to point a finger because I hold a US Passport but my passport does not tell my life story or my ideological views about global politics today or how it evolved. The history of colonialism is abhorrent in itself.  Should we forever blame the English, the French, the Spanish, the Dutch, the Portuguese, etc. for the ravages of slavery and domination/extinction of whole societies and cultures?

The fact of the matter is that humanity is on a precipice of its very own existence right now.  Events in Ukraine, the quest for continued global dominance by the USA and its allies in an effort to 'contain' China. We are a hair breadth away from a nuclear holocaust. We are on the precipice of the destruction of humanity through climate change. It is impossible to think of the future of humanity on the basis that 'national' governments will be accountable to these problems. It is clearly not the solution. So what is? Each and every person on this planet has to answer that question for themselves. For some, based on the nature of their own government, they may have more freedom than others.  But a global 'consciousness' is what is needed by each and every citizen to make his/her governments accountable.  If not, game over.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pookiki said:

I realize this 'thread' has pretty much run it's course but I would like to note one big issue in this discussion. In replying to my first post, an individual made reference to 'your secret war' as though I was personally responsible for US foreign policy and the reference was specifically to the Vietnam war. I was 18 when I received my draft notice in February of 1967. Not old enough to vote but considered old enough to 'fight and die' for my country. Vietnam was a hugely unpopular war in the USA. Lest we forget the students at Kent State University who died when protesting the 'war' in Vietnam and the continued demonstrations against the war. To hold individual citizens accountable for the actions of their government is a form a blind prejudice - but it happened to me when this whole fabricated idea that the CIA was meddling in Thai elections.  Are all the Russian tourists in Phuket responsible for the invasion of Ukraine? No, most are afraid of their own government.

As a 'kid' who was thrust into being into the Army during a time of great confusion in the USA about Vietnam, I have always had a big problem 'reconciling' what happened to the Vietnamese people during that time and I'm sure there are thousands of other veterans who feel the same as I do. As 'Memorial Day' approaches in the USA, I'm sure many other Veterans who saw service during the Vietnam war will feel very conflicted as I do and wonder 'Why was I there?'  'What did we accomplish?' 'Did my government lie to me?'

Had I not had the experience of military service during Vietnam, I think my world view would be much different than it is now. It's easy to point a finger because I hold a US Passport but my passport does not tell my life story or my ideological views about global politics today or how it evolved. The history of colonialism is abhorrent in itself.  Should we forever blame the English, the French, the Spanish, the Dutch, the Portuguese, etc. for the ravages of slavery and domination/extinction of whole societies and cultures?

The fact of the matter is that humanity is on a precipice of its very own existence right now.  Events in Ukraine, the quest for continued global dominance by the USA and its allies in an effort to 'contain' China. We are a hair breadth away from a nuclear holocaust. We are on the precipice of the destruction of humanity through climate change. It is impossible to think of the future of humanity on the basis that 'national' governments will be accountable to these problems. It is clearly not the solution. So what is? Each and every person on this planet has to answer that question for themselves. For some, based on the nature of their own government, they may have more freedom than others.  But a global 'consciousness' is what is needed by each and every citizen to make his/her governments accountable.  If not, game over.

I agree completely, and would emphasize there was little “secret” about ‘Nam. When visiting there a few years ago ( on my own dime) I had the exact same thoughts; “what the hell were we doing there?”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two personal attack posts using insults towards other posters have been removed.  A veiled monarchial comment has also been removed.

4. You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any member of the Thai royal family whether living or deceased. You will not criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments or discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing His Majesty The King of Thailand or the Thai royal family. You will not link to or discuss any website which breaches this rule.

I was browsing through the rules of the famous "Rules based international order" toady. I betcha didn't even know they were written down do you? But it says the following and to be honest, not much else....and I quote "The Hegemon, the US, is entitled to intervene in any other country and to select the leaders and heads of state of said countries; they are entitled to regime change any leaders or heads of state not deemed sufficiently pro-US and is unwilling to grant access to all of its resources to the Hegemon."

To be honest I was shocked....but there it is in black and white and apparently agreed to by the whole world.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I was browsing through the rules of the famous "Rules based international order" toady. I betcha didn't even know they were written down do you? But it says the following and to be honest, not much else....and I quote "The Hegemon, the US, is entitled to intervene in any other country and to select the leaders and heads of state of said countries; they are entitled to regime change any leaders or heads of state not deemed sufficiently pro-US and is unwilling to grant access to all of its resources to the Hegemon."

To be honest I was shocked....but there it is in black and white and apparently agreed to by the whole world.

I'm calling BS on that one.  Provide a source.

Or was that an attempt at humor? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1