5y driver licence renewal Bang Lamung

Swiss1960

Here is my experience to renew 5 year motorcycle and 5 year car Thai driving licenses at Pattaya Department of Land Transportation (DLT). I started this renewal process about 120 days before my licenses expired.

On December 28th, 2023 arrived at Pattaya DLT about 1:30 PM. Huge line-up outside for white tent service. Inside front door, to left, is the information desk where I asked how to renew driving license – answer was “go outside to tent”. There are multiple desks and line-ups at the white tent. To left of the huge line-up desk there is a desk with “foreigner licenses”. I was second person in the line-up.

Officer wanted to see my original passport with entry and long-term visa stamps, both existing original Thai driving licenses. I was given appointment card, for 2:30pm January 11, 2024, that listed all of the documents I had to provide, as shown in the attached photo. Also needed to enter my name and phone number into a register/log book.

The Residence Certificate (RC) must be the original issued by immigration for one of the licenses, a copy must be provided for the second license. I inquired about using the yellow book and pink ID card instead of a RC. I was told, you can use it, but the licenses will be restricted to province of your residence as shown on the pink card. If you want to drive anywhere in Thailand, get a RC. Note that RC is only valid for 30 days from the date of issue – that means on your appointment date it must be valid. The RC cost  300b at Jomtien immigration.

The health certificate must be the original, for one license, a photo copy is acceptable for the second license. The health certificate was valid for 6 months. My certificate cost 100b for the Soi Buakhau clinic near LK Metro.

All photo copies must be signed.

On January 11, 2024, arrived at 2PM and I went to the same desk, white tent for foreigner licenses desk, not the purple tent as indicated on the appointment card. All the documents were checked, a queue card was provided and told to go to second floor.

On the second floor there are multiple work stations, with numbers. The queue card says go to station 14 (eye and decision testing). But you must have your documents checked again and handed in for processing at station 11, 12 or 13 before going to 14. At station 14, I was told to go to the training room because I was too early.

At 2:50pm my group went to station 14. The testing consisted of 2 tests. First was colour blindness, identifying the light colours shown in a fixture similar to a vertical traffic light. Each time a light illuminated, you had to say the colour. The lights flashed about 10 times.

The second test was reaction timing. Sitting a chair, you press a gas pedal to turn on a green light and keep pressing it until the machine shows a red light. You must press the brake pedal quickly, within a prescribed time, upon seeing the red light. If you don’t hit the brake within the time limit, you fail. One guy had to try this reaction test 3 times before passing. There are other testing machines in the room, one for depth perception and a different colour test. Neither of these 2 were used.

After testing, wait for your name will be called to verify a covering letter for your documents. Sign the covering letter. This is when your passport is returned to you. Next, take the documents to station 15 pay for the licenses. I paid 505b for car, 255b for the motorcycle, 760 baht total for both. Upon payment, cash only, a queue ticket is provided to have your photo taken for your driving license.

A screen on the right side of the main waiting room shows the queue processing. There were 3 photo stations. Go to the station when your queue number is called and have your photo taken. Retain your queue ticket and return to the main waiting room to wait for your ticket to be called again. At the second call, receive your licenses and receipt. I received my new licenses at 3:15pm.

Your experience may vary depending on dates, license requirements and how well you follow instructions.

Note: Formal business attire is required to receive service.

IMG_4336mod.jpg

IMG_4412.JPG

IMG_4413.JPG

IMG_4414.JPG

IMG_4417.JPG

Edited by Banana7
  • Thanks 1

Great report - very clear thank you.

The only point that you don't seem to mention is the video pass certificate. Does that have any time limit like the CoR or can you do at any time do you know? Presumably they have therefore done away with the watching the video bit that I suffered through last time?

17 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Note: Formal business attire is required to receive service.

Respectfully the picture on the door does not say anything about "business" attire although what "formal" means seems open to interpretation.

Did they refuse to serve the 2 foreigners in your picture who are wearing shorts? I only ask as I have never had a problem wearing shorts there in over 10 years of visits.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, topt said:

Great report - very clear thank you.

The only point that you don't seem to mention is the video pass certificate. Does that have any time limit like the CoR or can you do at any time do you know? Presumably they have therefore done away with the watching the video bit that I suffered through last time?

Respectfully the picture on the door does not say anything about "business" attire although what "formal" means seems open to interpretation.

Did they refuse to serve the 2 foreigners in your picture who are wearing shorts? I only ask as I have never had a problem wearing shorts there in over 10 years of visits.

If I remember correctly, the video certification is valid for 6 months.

I did see one foreigner who was upstairs being directed downstairs but I am not aware of the reason. Some people in shorts did receive service. You are right, I should have said formal dress, not formal business attire. It seems, nice looking shorts or Bermuda shorts are acceptable for service, as you have experienced.

Edited by Banana7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 3:44 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Great to hear. 

- Please provide link for online training 

- just the 1 medical certificate for both licenses needed (bike and car), so 1 original and 1 copy? 

You need two original medical certificates

15 hours ago, DoneTravelling said:

I have heard frequently one will suffice, same as the COR if renewing 2 licences at the same time.  Make copies.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Agree 1

On 1/22/2024 at 2:27 PM, DoneTravelling said:

I renewed both licences Banglamung Chonburi DLT, November. 

I used one original medical certificate and one copy. 

Same with the CofR, one original, one copy. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Agree 2

Was up there yesterday renewing my 5 year car licence and was impressed how much better it was organised compared to the last time I visited - I wish immigration would follow suit and only allow those applying for something into the building rather than the girlfriend/family outings that clog the place up. 

I do everything official myself but this was a rare occasion I decided to use an agent for convenience. It's not every year and 2 trips out there now door to door service and avoiding a crowded high season immigration office for the residence certificate were the justifications to myself.

9 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Was up there yesterday renewing my 5 year car licence and was impressed how much better it was organised compared to the last time I visited - I wish immigration would follow suit and only allow those applying for something into the building rather than the girlfriend/family outings that clog the place up. 

I do everything official myself but this was a rare occasion I decided to use an agent for convenience. It's not every year and 2 trips out there now door to door service and avoiding a crowded high season immigration office for the residence certificate were the justifications to myself.

So you used an agent... But don't agree with guys who may not speak Thai taking their wife along to translate and assist ??

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

Interesting read compared to what the DLT promises for all offices:

easy walk-in for such services like DL extensions 5yr/5yr :biggrin:

What I expect to do here: in March one day after birthday motorbike ride to office with passport, medical cert, car DL, yellow book/pink card and e-learning QR.

Should be out before noon.

Edited by KhunBENQ

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So you used an agent... But don't agree with guys who may not speak Thai taking their wife along to translate and assist ??

Correct, from what I've observed an agent knows what they are doing and speeds up the process often handling multiple applications, in my case the person was assisting 5 people in total. Seating was not at a premium because 1 extra person was there, unlike the situation in the main body of the Jomtien immigration office. I don't speak Thai and haven't found language a barrier at immigration, and to be honest the clueless sorts that I've observed having a problem, if they are accompanied are accompanied by a local who appears to have even less of a clue than them. I thought a lot of agent activity re immigration meant the foreigner doesn't physically have to attend the office so there is no additional burden on the limited space.

7 minutes ago, kinyara said:
43 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Correct, from what I've observed an agent knows what they are doing and speeds up the process often handling multiple applications, in my case the person was assisting 5 people in total. Seating was not at a premium because 1 extra person was there, unlike the situation in the main body of the Jomtien immigration office.

I see your point...   I just object to paying 3000 baht for an agent for something I can so very easily do myself (in a similar amount of time - unless the Agent can queue jump)... 

The last time I did the DL the queue was huge...  and after the video & classroom tests the queue to actually collect the licence was at least an hour long... I didn't wait, I went for a massage and came back two hours later... queue well and truly missed, I showed the staff my number and they slotted me straight in at the front (a little cheeky.... but I just couldn't be done waiting that long in that crowded room).

I've never needed to use an agent for anything here....  the Driving licence is certainly easy enough to do on your own. 

That said, I do understand those who bring their Wife for Translation purposes (although I never found that necessary and my Wife has better things to do than baby sit me)...

Immigration is slightly different - we may need to bring the Wife for an extension based on Marriage - thats the only time my Wife has ever got involved in of the bureaucratic stuff I deal with here - the same in reverse... whenever we travel, the Wife deals with all her own Visa applications... 

I don't speak Thai and haven't found language a barrier at immigration, and to be honest the clueless sorts that I've observed having a problem, if they are accompanied are accompanied by a local who appears to have even less of a clue than them.

I get your point...  well worded as not to cause offence to the feckless characters who bring their Ex BG GF or Wife in tow.... 

I thought a lot of agent activity re immigration meant the foreigner doesn't physically have to attend the office so there is no additional burden on the limited space.

I kind of agree.. but...  agents are a nice little earner for Immigration who obviously receive 'fees' for being allowed to operate and speeding through the system etc....    this eventually feeds back to us, when (if) we are made to 'jump through extra hoops' and direct dealings are made more hassle to such a degree we end up making the decision pay and go the 'agent route'.... (as mentioned in various threads on this forum in the past).

... So, there is potential 'knock-on'  impact to us.

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I see your point...   I just object to paying 3000 baht for an agent for something I can so very easily do myself (in a similar amount of time - unless the Agent can queue jump)... 

The last time I did the DL the queue was huge...  and after the video & classroom tests the queue to actually collect the licence was at least an hour long... I didn't wait, I went for a massage and came back two hours later... queue well and truly missed, I showed the staff my number and they slotted me straight in at the front (a little cheeky.... but I just couldn't be done waiting that long in that crowded room).

I've never needed to use an agent for anything here....  the Driving licence is certainly easy enough to do on your own. 

That said, I do understand those who bring their Wife for Translation purposes (although I never found that necessary and my Wife has better things to do than baby sit me)...

Immigration is slightly different - we may need to bring the Wife for an extension based on Marriage - thats the only time my Wife has ever got involved in of the bureaucratic stuff I deal with here - the same in reverse... whenever we travel, the Wife deals with all her own Visa applications... 

I get your point...  well worded as not to cause offence to the feckless characters who bring their Ex BG GF or Wife in tow.... 

I kind of agree.. but...  agents are a nice little earner for Immigration who obviously receive 'fees' for being allowed to operate and speeding through the system etc....    this eventually feeds back to us, when (if) we are made to 'jump through extra hoops' and direct dealings are made more hassle to such a degree we end up making the decision pay and go the 'agent route'.... (as mentioned in various threads on this forum in the past).

... So, there is potential 'knock-on'  impact to us.

Don't know when you last went to the driving licence place but if not recent you might be pleasantly surprised next time, as I say I noticed a big improvement since my 5 year gap when I did indeed do it myself. Believe me I'm the last person who would use as agent without carefully considering the extra cost/benefit to myself and I would never try and persuade anyone else either way. This is the first time I've ever done it for anything for a couple of main reasons mentioned, but also in pure money terms I think factoring in a couple of petrol trips it would have been around an extra 1,500 baht, which I looked as 300 baht a year given the 5 year term. Paying circa 13,000 baht annually for a visa renewal to a place I can walk to in 10 minutes is a whole different ball game and not something that even enters my thinking. 

58 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Don't know when you last went to the driving licence place but if not recent you might be pleasantly surprised next time, as I say I noticed a big improvement since my 5 year gap when I did indeed do it myself. Believe me I'm the last person who would use as agent without carefully considering the extra cost/benefit to myself and I would never try and persuade anyone else either way. This is the first time I've ever done it for anything for a couple of main reasons mentioned, but also in pure money terms I think factoring in a couple of petrol trips it would have been around an extra 1,500 baht, which I looked as 300 baht a year given the 5 year term. Paying circa 13,000 baht annually for a visa renewal to a place I can walk to in 10 minutes is a whole different ball game and not something that even enters my thinking. 

I'll have go through it again in about 20 months...  [driving & motorcycle licence renewal]

Always done it myself since the very first time about 20 years ago...  expect it to be just as easy next time.

Sometimes its busier at the DLT, sometimes it isn't.

If you live 200 km away from a DLT and will save 1500 baht in petrol... and a whole day of time - then fair enough - but is it ?????

Don't you have to be there anyway to do the 'in room tests' and watch the video ??... So you're not saving petrol at all... 

The only benefit an agent brings for a DLT renewal is to 'queue jump'... (and to baby sit a person through the process if they need that).

Visa Renewal / extension of stay - if it saves time and having to travel a long distance, then sure, fair enough - but don't you have to be there again ?

Edited by richard_smith237

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'll have go through it again in about 20 months...  [driving & motorcycle licence renewal]

Always done it myself since the very first time about 20 years ago...  expect it to be just as easy next time.

Sometimes its busier at the DLT, sometimes it isn't.

If you live 200 km away from a DLT and will save 1500 baht in petrol... and a whole day of time - then fair enough - but is it ?????

Don't you have to be there anyway to do the 'in room tests' and watch the video ??... So you're not saving petrol at all... 

The only benefit an agent brings for a DLT renewal is to 'queue jump'... (and to baby sit a person through the process if they need that).

Visa Renewal / extension of stay - if it saves time and having to travel a long distance, then sure, fair enough - but don't you have to be there again ?

No I meant it would have cost me around 1,500 anyway for everything doing it myself including petrol, so I was paying an extra 1,500 for the agent obtaining the documentation from immigration/doctor certificate, online test and them picking me up and driving me out there and back a couple of times from my place. I don't know if guys using agents for renewal/extensions have to be there, I do immigration myself.

3 minutes ago, kinyara said:

No I meant it would have cost me around 1,500 anyway for everything doing it myself including petrol, so I was paying an extra 1,500 for the agent obtaining the documentation from immigration/doctor certificate, online test and them picking me up and driving me out there and back a couple of times from my place. I don't know if guys using agents for renewal/extensions have to be there, I do immigration myself.

Ah, understood... So the 'extra 1500 baht' is something you considered worth it to have them do the extra leg work for you... 

For Immigration extensions etc.. Yes, we have to be present (for 90 day reports not).

1 hour ago, tilac01 said:

When did they start requiring a medical and video test results to renew a 5 year license?

When I came back after the Covid lock down in 2021 it was required for my 5 yr license renewal.

2 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

As I have no idea how to use a QR code can I sit in the office and watch the video as I did for my last renewal.

Once you watch the video and answer a few questions the QR code is generated which you must print out. 

I don't think you can watch the video at the DLT office anymore. 

18 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

I found the website https://gecc.dlt.go.th/ and according to this, Bang Lamung ("Pattaya") office is not able to reserve online - is that everyone's experience as well? I haven't tried the mobile app yet (if that would be any different). 

If you mean reserve an appointment online, then yes it can only be done in person.

So is it best to have your Residence and Medical Certificates' with you when going the first time to make your appointment to the DLT or wait to see what your appointment date is? Just concerned as both certificates I believe have 30 day expiration dates' and not sure what the lag time on receiving your appointment date is especially being on the tail end of high season.

12 minutes ago, jwdub12 said:

So is it best to have your Residence and Medical Certificates' with you when going the first time to make your appointment to the DLT or wait to see what your appointment date is? Just concerned as both certificates I believe have 30 day expiration dates' and not sure what the lag time on receiving your appointment date is especially being on the tail end of high season.

Do the video, get the QR code etc.. have all your documents with you, and then when you go there give them a 'story' about how it needs to be done today... (i.e. travelling next week etc).. 

Get there early enough, they may slot you in.

31 minutes ago, jwdub12 said:

So is it best to have your Residence and Medical Certificates' with you when going the first time to make your appointment to the DLT

Nope, go naked if needbee. 

I made my appointment 1 month in advance, didn't have any documents, just showed my licences. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

22 minutes ago, jwdub12 said:

The lag time for me going to make the appointment in mid January was 2 weeks. As posted above by Safety First you only need your passport and licence with you first trip, full documents on second date.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone knows what time the "reservation tent" closes to book the actual appointment for renewal? Would you think I can come 1-2pm and make the first reservation?

I understand that the DLT close 3.30pm, and that most renewals(or new Dals) are done either morning or afternoon hours. No issues with that.

Edited by aldriglikvid

Seriously why should people have to go through all this bull $hit just to renew a license. If a person is on a valid 5 years license why not just pay the fee and receive a new license like most other countries do. I've held a Thai drivers license for 22 years, I've never had an accident and not even one fine over that period. I still get treated like a beginner come renewal time.

22 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

Seriously why should people have to go through all this bull $hit just to renew a license. If a person is on a valid 5 years license why not just pay the fee and receive a new license like most other countries do. I've held a Thai drivers license for 22 years, I've never had an accident and not even one fine over that period. I still get treated like a beginner come renewal time.

Because people age over 5 years maybe.

• Thumbs Up 1