2 senior police officers face charges for alleged unfreezing of ฿176m bank account

webfact

image.jpeg

A police commander and a superintendent attached to Region 6 Provincial Police Bureau are to face charges of malfeasance in office for allegedly unfreezing a bank account, worth about 176 million baht, which belonged to a deceased Myanmar drug trafficker, to assist a Chinese man in claiming the cash deposit.

Pol Gen Surachate Hakparn, the deputy national police chief, told the media Saturday that a group of about seven individuals, including a well-known Thai paediatrician, conspired to gain illegal access to the money.

He claimed that the unnamed Chinese man went to the bank, masquerading as the deceased Myanmar national, to ask for a new bank book, claiming that he lost the original and the account had been frozen several years ago.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/2-senior-police-officers-face-charges-for-alleged-unfreezing-of-฿176m-bank-account/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-06-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

for allegedly unfreezing a bank account, worth about 176 million baht, which belonged to a deceased Myanmar drug trafficker, to assist a Chinese man in claiming the cash deposit.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

the unnamed Chinese man went to the bank, masquerading as the deceased Myanmar national, to ask for a new bank book, claiming that he lost the original and the account had been frozen several years ago.

May be they all have been involved in the drug trafficking ... that is insider information that led to that attempt .

So let me understand, you can just walk into any bank and claim you lost a bank book with hundreds of millions in it and ask for new one? ofcaurse not, unless some senior policemen tell the bank that yes, you can unfreeze and to issue a new bankbook, I mean, how In your face is all this shenanigans' are? not even trying to hide it anymore.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ezzra said:

So let me understand, you can just walk into any bank and claim you lost a bank book with hundreds of millions in it and ask for new one? ofcaurse not, unless some senior policemen tell the bank that yes, you can unfreeze and to issue a new bankbook, I mean, how In your face is all this shenanigans' are? not even trying to hide it anymore.

Yes you can try to do that but it doesn't work. He was not given a new bank book and then was arrested

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ezzra said:

And like all banks, he would have been asked to produce his passport or ID card.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hardly a meal-time goes by without another report of police corruption.

I honestly do not remember hearing about more than one or two police corruption cases in a year. 

Has the RTP gotten more corrupt? Or have they always been this corrupt?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I remember in the Saudi gems scandal a police chief's wife wore one of the stolen items at a function.

I think that was the (2nd or 3rd?) wife of former Prime Minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, who was referred to as "a walking jewelry box". She used the Prawit Defense, "just borrowed that brooch from a friend". Chavalit is on his fourth wife.

On Thursday, the Bangkok Post carried a front-page report that Chalerm Yubamrung, a minister in the prime minister’s office, had compared Chavalit’s wife to a ″walking jewelry case.″

It apparently was a response to charges by Chavalit of corruption within the government. While army chief, Chavalit said corrupt officials should ″have their heads chopped off.″

https://apnews.com/article/74b043a07954827aadfa58a044992405

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

Hardly a meal-time goes by without another report of police corruption.

I honestly do not remember hearing about more than one or two police corruption cases in a year. 

Has the RTP gotten more corrupt? Or have they always been this corrupt?

They may have been this corrupt for a long time. It's just getting I to the public view more now. U fortunately nothing g really happens to them or seldom does. Transferred to a new post, generally no loss of pay or benefits and If it makes it to court it's years later and hardly ever any flow up stories in the news