Is it OK to overstay by 2 days?

OP, be aware that if you apply for extension which will be denied and given the 7 day notice to exit Thailand.

I'm thinking that the 7 days starts from date you attend immigration and not expiry of current permit..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, be aware that if you apply for extension which will be denied and given the 7 day notice to exit Thailand.

I'm thinking that the 7 days starts from date you attend immigration and not expiry of current permit..

It sounds strange, but it might. However, that goes against that it´s not the same rules if surrender at an immigration office, as it is if surrender air airport. Therefore the safest way is to fix it before it´s too late.

One might argue that on the previous two occasions you overstayed there were "reasons"

but part of your question seems to be asking if you PLAN to overstay for two days is that OK?

Not a good plan! - for the reasons given by others!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Overstays are frowned on. 

If it were me Id pay the extra to avoid any overstay stamp. 

Not saying that you are wrong BUT....people would be surprised how common short overstays are taken of at airports at exit from Thailand.

As mentioned by someone previously can impact an Elite Visa (PE) in future so not good plan.

Will not cause issue in future for entry to Thailand visa exempt or with visa. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not saying that you are wrong BUT....people would be surprised how common short overstays are taken of at airports at exit from Thailand.

As mentioned by someone previously can impact an Elite Visa (PE) in future so not good plan.

Will not cause issue in future for entry to Thailand visa exempt or with visa. 

Hopefully.

Hate to run into an immigration officer having a really bad day with any excuse to make trouble. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/15/2023 at 4:15 PM, BritTim said:

In my opinion, what you write would be logical. However, experience has proven that you are given seven days to leave following the normal expiry of your permission to stay.

Sorry but that is incorrect, the 7-days denied extension begins the day you apply NOT after the expiration of your current permission to stay.

Over stayed 2 days in 1989, made no difference to any subsequent visa applications. The odd day or here is common at the airport.

Advisable not to, but hardly classed as stealing the crown jewels, up to you!

1 hour ago, bigt3116 said:

Sorry but that is incorrect, the 7-days denied extension begins the day you apply NOT after the expiration of your current permission to stay.

While it would be logical, I have never heard of a case where that happened. Do you have evidence that someone was given seven days that did not start at the end of the current permission to stay? Where did this occur?

• Thumbs Up 1

Other countries you may wish to apply for a visa to visit , or even enter visa exempt  take OVERSTAY very seriously. You kid yourself if you think these countries consular and immigration officials cannot easily identfy these shameful stamps in your passport despite  the minor penalties for short overstay by Thailand. Just get an extension. 

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

While it would be logical, I have never heard of a case where that happened. Do you have evidence that someone was given seven days that did not start at the end of the current permission to stay? Where did this occur?

Maybe ask your Global Moderator - Tod Daniels, he and another site's moderator, both said the same.    ????

On 6/15/2023 at 2:55 PM, Gaccha said:

If you ever want the Elite Visa (a pricey but convenient visa for long-term touristic visits) in the future then be warned, they do take past overstays into account. 

Bit late for that warning as he appears to be a serial overstayer going back several years with spurious "medical" excuses   (Immigration has procedures to cover genuine medical reasons that do not result in overstays).

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 6/15/2023 at 9:16 PM, MrJ2U said:

Hate to run into an immigration officer having a really bad day with any excuse to make trouble. 

Having a two day overstay and sorting it when leaving Suvarnabhumi will never be an issue regardless of how bad a day any IO may be having.  

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Unsure myself from what date the 7-day period starts, I consulted my album of immigration stamps and found these two stamps:

image.png

image.jpeg

From the dates shown on the stamps I see that the "must leave not later than" date ist more than seven dates after the issue date of the stamp, which would indicate that the seven days were indeed added to the end of the current permission to stay.

However, the stamps are many years old and I do not know if the practice has changed in the meantime. Therefore. I would be grateful if someone who has a recent stamp of this type would kindly post it here so that I may add it to my album.

• Like 1