Immigration house check

The Immigration officers will arrive in a police car, but they work for Immigration. I suppose you could call them Immigration police officers. I have a feeling that they are officers who are close to retirement and they are given this relatively cushy job.

The Immigration Police seem to have stopped using the 'Smart BMWs" now in my area, maybe sold 'em :giggle:,

now i just get one guy turn up in an old unmarked pickup ,

the days of 4 turning up in their BMW cars and hinting for money, ''oh we had to pay the ferry'' me...'' well you wanted to come, i didn't invite you''  seems to have stopped now, only talk to the missus and witness anyway, now its go sit down Pa Pa.  :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

37 minutes ago, creative1000 said:

Official Name:

Royal Thai Police: Immigration Bureau

Official Logo Here

I've been told on this site that, although they are both police, their records are not linked. Therefore, when stopped and asked for ID they can't check your status via your passport number. Not that they need to, I suppose, with your passport in hand.

A few weeks ago, I had the first "House Check" by Immigration in more that 20 years living in Thailand.

A morning, while I was watering my plants outside, an Immigration pick-up stopped at my house.
2 Immigration officers stepped out of the vehicle and told me that they were Immigration officers and the came for inspecting my house.
They presented themself as a regular immigration officer (the driver) and a chief immigration officer.
I opened the gate and let them in.
While talking to the immigration officer, the other one ASKED to take pictures and took pictures of my car and the house.
The chief asked me where my "missus" was and I told him that I had no "missus".
In my Visa extension I did wrote clearly that I lived alone.
They filled a formular and explained that they had to fill this paper in for the head of immigration and asked me to sign it (it was in Thai, but I was able to read most of it).
They left after a short visit, 20 minutes maybe, without asking neighbors or money.
All in all, very polite and a pleasant meeting with Immigration.
Guess that the neighbors thing and the money thing is only needed when you have a Thai wife.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sirineou said:

I just did it a few months ago in Khon Kaen.

In our case , two immigration officers came to our house. We needed two neighbors with their ID card, acting as witnesses . It was a very pleasant experience, the IOs were very nice and polite, we had a couple of sodas, took a couple of pictures outside the house showing the house address and that was it.

Nothing to worry about. 

I have had 5 home visits and no two have been the same, one was as you describe.

The very first, four came, nobody else involved. They just asked some questions and filled in some forms. When they had done they asked to look around the garden and then left. When we went back in the house all the paperwork was still on the table, not only mine, a few others in the area. Came back the following day to collect it.

Another time they went knocking on the neighbours doors asking questions, they wouldn't have known much, I'd been here much longer than all of them.

The most recent, back in Nov, only one guy turned up with a tripod. Took some photos that included himself and left, no witnesses, no questions.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

A few weeks ago, I had the first "House Check" by Immigration in more that 20 years living in Thailand.

A morning, while I was watering my plants outside, an Immigration pick-up stopped at my house.
2 Immigration officers stepped out of the vehicle and told me that they were Immigration officers and the came for inspecting my house.
They presented themself as a regular immigration officer (the driver) and a chief immigration officer.
I opened the gate and let them in.
While talking to the immigration officer, the other one ASKED to take pictures and took pictures of my car and the house.
The chief asked me where my "missus" was and I told him that I had no "missus".
In my Visa extension I did wrote clearly that I lived alone.
They filled a formular and explained that they had to fill this paper in for the head of immigration and asked me to sign it (it was in Thai, but I was able to read most of it).
They left after a short visit, 20 minutes maybe, without asking neighbors or money.
All in all, very polite and a pleasant meeting with Immigration.
Guess that the neighbors thing and the money thing is only needed when you have a Thai wife.

I cant see your logic that if you have a thai wife there is more drama?

3 hours ago, Seeall said:

I cant see your logic that if you have a thai wife there is more drama?

Well, the majority of the posters here who complains here about the immigration check are married to a Thai wife or have a Thai gf.

7 hours ago, rwill said:

Immigration is part of the police department.  So no matter who shows up they are police.

Correct name is Thailand Immigration Bureau and on the overall police org. chart shown as a 'departmentt' of the Royal Thai Police.

About five months ago our three Labradors got to barking at the front gate to alert us to someone/thing being near our property. (It's what we have trained them to do. Unfortunately we think a few folks in the village are realising they are all bark and no bite, but I digress.) The wife and I were a little tardy in getting out the door (for different reasons) for a minute or two. When I did get to the front door to head up to the gate I saw two uniformed folks getting back into an immigration vehicle and head off. So it would appear the dogs thwarted an unannounced immigration visit. The only visit we've had in the last four years at our current residence was a couple of years ago when the Nan tourist police called on us on behalf of the immigration folks. They apparently did this to all farang/Thai couples in the province following an American murdering his Thai wife in pretty horrendous circumstances.

1 hour ago, BoganInParasite said:

About five months ago our three Labradors got to barking at the front gate to alert us to someone/thing being near our property. (It's what we have trained them to do. Unfortunately we think a few folks in the village are realising they are all bark and no bite, but I digress.) The wife and I were a little tardy in getting out the door (for different reasons) for a minute or two. When I did get to the front door to head up to the gate I saw two uniformed folks getting back into an immigration vehicle and head off. So it would appear the dogs thwarted an unannounced immigration visit. The only visit we've had in the last four years at our current residence was a couple of years ago when the Nan tourist police called on us on behalf of the immigration folks. They apparently did this to all farang/Thai couples in the province following an American murdering his Thai wife in pretty horrendous circumstances.

A vistit to all the murdering farang who are sitting at home sharpenings their tools, easy catch....

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2023 at 3:16 PM, Confuscious said:

Well, the majority of the posters here who complains here about the immigration check are married to a Thai wife or have a Thai gf.

Of course they would. As far as I know they only do the visit for the extension to stay based on Marriage, Do they make residence inspections for other visas? Honestly I don't know but I don't think so. When I did my extension to stay I got an under consideration stamp, a week later twi IO came to our house had a couple pf sodas took a picture in front of the house by the number, The village head man and a neighbor  came over as witnesses, that i really lived there , All and all a very pleasant experience.

As far as I am concerned  they can come every week. I don't know why anyone would make a big deal of it. But perhaps other areas are more difficult, I have only done it in this area. 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 4:18 PM, BoganInParasite said:

About five months ago our three Labradors got to barking at the front gate to alert us to someone/thing being near our property.

With labradors there is always the danger that they will lick you to death ????

Lovely dogs and some of the best to have. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sirineou said:

As far as I know they only do the visit for the extension to stay based on Marriage, Do they make residence inspections for other visas?

Yes , I  had my one and only visit from them a couple of months ago after being on a retirement ext. for the last 15 years or so.

Photos , a form to sign , and a good humoured moan that they have had to travel so far from the office .

Just now, NE1 said:

Yes , I  had my one and only visit from them a couple of months ago after being on a retirement ext. for the last 15 years or so.

Photos , a form to sign , and a good humoured moan that they have had to travel so far from the office .

Oh ok. I thought they only did it for marriage extensions. But yea , they very nice people . :smile:

Many poor irrelevant replies in this thread.

Immigration can check to verify address at their discretion.

Obviously this occurs in many offices for extensions based on marriage.

Also for "conversion" to non O based on retirement from tourist visa or visa exempt stamp.

Vaguely recall of Hua Hin immigration checking on (in particular) USA nationals several years ago

Nothing significant about this thread. 

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Do they make residence inspections for other visas? Honestly I don't know but I don't think so.

I am living in Thailand with a retirement visa and I live alone 

About 2 months ago, immigration came to visit me.

They called me about 4 hours prior to the visit to ask if it was ok.

The visit was very friendly and the officer gave me a number which I could call if something urgent happened to me.

I asked if I needed to pay anything and the answer was NO.

All in all a very pleasant meeting.

By the way, it was the 1st visit in 20 years.

35 years living  here and no one has been to visit me , same house ,

saying that they will be along on Monday ,........ the rest of you must

be dodgy characters .....????

regards worgeordie