Rat problem

PattayaKevin

7 minutes ago, steven100 said:

you have 4 dogs,   a reasonably good landlord,   and you want her to pay and get rid of your rat problem. 

geeeze,  some folks just create there own problems.

forget the rats,   i'd be thankful she lets you stay there with 4 dogs ....   

He's paying to stay there, and I'm thinking he had the dogs before he moved in, so she already knew. You do not forget rats. They cause innumerable problems and spread disease. They are not supposed to be in homes, along with bugs. Homes are for people, and clean, domestic animals.

There is only one answer get a cat.

We had rats in the ceiling, wife brings home 2 tiny kittens,

that night we put them in the bathroom, mewing most of the night. we never heard the rats again.

this has often made me wonder if you played a cat meowing sound track, whether the rats would go. rats 'aint stupid.

cat now is 8yrs old never had a problem with rats since. in second house now, never had rats, same cat. :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

There is only one answer get a cat.

We had rats in the ceiling, wife brings home 2 tiny kittens,

that night we put them in the bathroom, mewing most of the night. we never heard the rats again.

this has often made me wonder if you played a cat meowing sound track, whether the rats would go. rats 'aint stupid.

cat now is 8yrs old never had a problem with rats since. in second house now, never had rats, same cat. :thumbsup:

He said he can't have cats because he has 4 dogs. Having a cat is great. They'll eventually catch and kill all vermin, although they'll still come in if there are openings in the house. Back in Texas, my dog caught and killed a few, but I couldn't keep up with them until I fully sealed the house, after killing what was in there.

I had the dogs before I moved in. The landlord knew I had them. In my opinion, if I rent should be the landlords problem. She fixes everything else when she is informed so should cover this. If I owned the house, it would be my problem.  She offered to sell it to me, but I declined would rather rent since I found thai houses tend to have a lot of problems. 

Just now, fredwiggy said:

He said he can't have cats because he has 4 dogs. Having a cat is great. They'll eventually catch and kill all vermin, although they'll still come in if there are openings in the house. Back in Texas, my dog caught and killed a few, but I couldn't keep up with them until I fully sealed the house, after killing what was in there.

My cat and dog get on ok, I can sit outside and stroke both together, although the dog does think its a great game to chase the cat across the garden the cat not so much. I never understand why anybody needs so many dogs and we have 1 ria.

My friends dog used to let kittens suckle on it. 

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

My cat and dog get on ok, I can sit outside and stroke both together, although the dog does think its a great game to chase the cat across the garden the cat not so much. I never understand why anybody needs so many dogs and we have 1 ria.

My friends dog used to let kittens suckle on it. 

I had 2 dogs and 5 cats here in the country, 250 meters from the road and the nearest house. Some local scumbag poisoned my 2 dogs, a family's dog, others in our village and two others that came after and squatted because I like dogs and they know,so they stuck around, because he (she) thought the dogs were running through their cassava fields and knocking down some plants, a loss of maybe 20 baht. The local dogs, not mine, killed all the cats. I wish I could have cats but they would have to stay indoors and I don't like the smell anymore.

• Sad 1

When the rice fields are flooded are the rat invasions related?   Seems like it's a landlord issue to seal up all the holes.  Maybe a little teamwork on the rat trapping issue.  Maybe landlord has a bunch of traps.   

Of course most anima6know there way around their part of the World so you would need to relocate them far but that's just giving others the problem.   Rats are a prized food up north.  I tried a rat stew dish.  It was ok until I got a section of rat tail.  I'm sure Thais just chomp for collagen. 

My opinion was a licensed Realtor not by main profession but for 30 years managed rental property for family and friend who's property had problems with City inspectors I would basically work with rent boards and other agencies to put the properties on the right track.

Here in Thailand I have a house in rural along with a small apartment next door and a condo rental in town. 

You did not mentioned whether you are living in a house or condo does make a difference. 

My advice will come from the number of pest control I work along with and the local health department.

When it comes to rats particularly Thailand they are everywhere even if you are eating at a five star hotel or restaurant they are all there reason required constance pest control contracts. Just because you haven't seen one doesn't mean they aren't lurking. Rat are pretty easy to control even rid toughest are ants or roaches.

As already noted what brings them in noted by other posters if you are in a condo or home project one of many units why you?  You can snoop around your project or condo even ask you neighbors if they don't that is a good clue it is you doing something? If your project or condo building there are piles of garbage open containers laying around overnight waiting for pick in morning that itself is a draw to the project or Condo complex from there they roam into specific units looking. Condo building they can climbs the drain pipes and find their way in if balcony doors are left open. Leaving food out for cats dogs is another invitation. 

Once inside your home or Condo open containers?  Rats have whiskers theycarevtge used for feelers reason they travel along the walls if you are a pack rat person lots of boxes furniture stacked up against walls that is a major invitation for them to stay.  

Now are they staying? 

Move furniture and boxes etc away from walls look for pellets dropping the size and volume should determine the size and volume. The volume could mean they have been around a while. They like to hide in warm and dark places like back of refrigerator motors.

You don't need to use an exterminator they would do as I'm to suggest.  You can go to 7/11 or Thai hardware and fine glue traps big or small even poison pellets set them along the wall where you are finding droppings. I like the glue traps instead of them eating the poison pellets Then leaving who knows where to die. 

Good luck say goodbye to Mickey. 

If you have a house on its own it will take a while but a landlord tough call as I have noted above whether it is their burden.  I can easily make a determination if I had some photos or a better description. 

I was had a tenant complain about mice I brought in an exterminator in a timely manner to place traps all around the basement. When renting out to the couple the walk thru with photos showed the place to be super cleaned  after visiting one could see the problem it isn't easy having a conversation about cleaning up and hygiene. 

Edited by thailand49

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why not?  They're very effective.

True. However, also very effective at catching tree shrews, squirrels, tokays, geckos and birds.

I should clarify, I can’t put traps deep into my roof space, so my traps are ‘outside’ to an extent, around the suspected roof space entry points. 

I catch quite a few of the first two critters mentioned in my cage traps but I can release them unharmed.  Belying their cutesy appearance, tree shrews are evil little sods, quite vicious when caught, they hiss and spit like an angry tom cat. Squirrels are normally pretty chill about it all.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

I wouldn't disagree but my wife and her family take a different view.

Same here I've eaten dog and cat whenever I mention to them how tasty they make faces laugh but have no problem making me pull over when ever they see a rat stand off the HWY. 

• Like 1

The landlord thinks they are living in the drains that surround the property. The property is a decent size big yard in a housing development on the dark side of pattaya. I do know the neighboring property on one side is empty and unkept. It has a dirty swimming pool and high grass. Most of the surrounding homes are thais or foreigner/thai families.

Edited by PattayaKevin

Hardware shop, the wire rat trap used to be 30 baht each, last 2  bought late last year were 60 baht each...

for past 19 years only have rats in the kitchen, catch one or two most weeks, the joys of living out in the sticks...  same in UK but smaller mice [also lived out in the sticks]

Caught one in the trap was in there this morning when I went in the kitchen,  dropped in a bucket of water and bagged, trap is already reset and awaiting the next one....

11 hours ago, worgeordie said:

put the sticky trays up with nuts on , he's been moving them about

Rats can be very clever; to outsmart exactly such a move, we put Nutella (nut chocolate cream) in our traps here in Germany, it is yummy enough that they really want to get at it while at the same time it cannot be shaken from the traps. So far, sucess rate 100%.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

I prefer the rat glue works good. Don't use poison they will die out of site and you will not find them till they start to stink.

Some people think that the glue traps are cruel.

If you are an animal lover, and can't kill the glued rats, take them out into the countryside and pour cooking oil over them. They will soon free themselves.

13 hours ago, PattayaKevin said:

The landlord thinks they are living in the drains that surround the property. The property is a decent size big yard in a housing development on the dark side of pattaya. I do know the neighboring property on one side is empty and unkept. It has a dirty swimming pool and high grass. Most of the surrounding homes are thais or foreigner/thai families.

I live also on the Darkside not in a development but a Thai village. Although when we purchase the house so call kitchen is inside we don't use it.  We have built basically a full outside kitchen wife being Thai and the farm in beginning everything is just left in the open. Through the years her own complaining I've show them how to put thing away and how to keep the place clean.  We have two cats and a dog and for a long time I've seen rats that I though we're my cats.  I had one in my roof got rid of it then then climbed through the roof to determine entry and chicken wire the location to close off all entry behind the wires I place glue traps in case. As I noted based on your post they are all over you can't rid them after years family kind of gravity although I do most of the work I don't let them rat pack it is laying around not put away it is garbage. Every morning up at 6:30 I clean inside outside garbage is empty every day in bags instead of using government cans I out of my own pocket purchase 3 large cans with flip lids set a few feet from my house which I allow locals to use as long as they close the lids. There was a time we had one big rat and lots of mice today maybe through my affords I've not seen much droppings.

My next door apartment each morning I go over sweep and empty the garbage every tenant has been spoken to keep their area clean outside area can not stack or rat pack items.  Once I was painting the building outside I moved items they were everywhere.  

They do live in drains fields the best if I was renting to you is to tell you honestly no since there is no way living in a project I should pay what might be contributing from others. 

I would tell you as to what I might  see to you own living condition as to what might be keeping them. E'en outside everything must come off the floor as it had been noted put traps down along the walls and near the drains corners of your house. Make sure drains covers are intact cost 45 baht replacement. 

On 6/21/2023 at 9:59 AM, JBChiangRai said:

I use both glue boards and poison.

You need to be a bit proactive and have a strong constitution with glue boards, recognise when you have caught a rat/rats and kill them afterwards, I drown them by putting the whole board under water.  

In my garage which serves as a storage area for the usual junk, I put poison in the boxes.

drowing them is cruel. Step on them in one powerful step so it is a very quick pain

On 6/21/2023 at 9:42 AM, Crossy said:

We had rats until a cat adopted us, evidently our rats were juicier than the neighbouring ones. Cat was assisted by a couple of sunbeam snakes (non-venomous constrictors).

Cat is now a fat cat, but no further rats seen.

Unless it's a really serious infestation there are plenty of rat baits readily available from your local outlets, use a "rat station" if you have pets / children who might eat it.

cat cheapest way to stop a rat

22 minutes ago, h90 said:

drowing them is cruel. Step on them in one powerful step so it is a very quick pain

There a few reasons why you can’t do that.

They defecate and urinate so you’re going to make a mess.  Secondly, you would have to get them off the glue board, first, or your foot is going to stick to the glue board as well.  It’s not easy getting them off the blue board, it’s nigh on impossible.