Purse-snatching pinch: Chinese thief bagged for swiping 2.1 million baht Louis Vuitton at Bangkok airport

webfact

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

A 2.1 million baht Louis Vuitton bag is not made to travel with, it's made to keep it in the safe at home giving you bragging rights and buying a knock off one to walk around with, to forget such valuable bag behind is a crime.

To sell a bag for that amount is a crime but apparently there are enough idiots about who will buy such things, a little ego trip for madam.

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

Top price for a pair of Air Jordans 17,711,000 THB. 2nd most expensive 3.2m THB. 3rd, 3.1m THB. Just a sample.

But, because she's Chinese and a woman, somehow it's obscene to have paid this amount, if she in fact did. However, it's crazy to be actually carrying this item around with you. It should be locked away in a safe. In a few years, it would have been worth double. Only 5 made! Unused. Mint condition. Priceless!

It's not because she's Chinese or a woman, it's because she carelessly carries the bag around and allows it opportunities to be snatched from under her nose. It's having so much money that you can spend $US65,000+ on a basic necessity luxuriously made and targeted at the super rich and be so oblivious to its uniqueness. A collector would store the bag, not swan around with it on her arm and forget it on her way to or from a flight. To the average person, it's all a bit obscene.

Edited by Spock

3 hours ago, bluejets said:

Hope she kept receipts if making any insurance claim........I know that LV is expensive but 2.1 mil seems extreme.????

Many of these companies make editions of five or so, to appeal to the vainest, richest and emptiest people out there. I have seen bags for $50,000 and up. It is insanity. It is appealing to the base instincts of people who simply don't know any better. 

Virtually all of us are guilty of spending money that would be far better given to charities on unnecessary things (google 'Peter Singer drowning child analogy'). However, buying a bag that has no more functionality than another high quality one at a tiny fraction of the cost ups selfishness to another level entirely.

17 minutes ago, Spock said:

It's not because she's Chinese or a woman, it's because she carelessly carries the bag around and allows it opportunities to be snatched from under her nose. It's having so much money that you can spend $US65,000+ on a basic necessity luxuriously made and targeted at the super rich and be so oblivious to its uniqueness. A collector would store the bag, not swanning around with it on her arm and forgetting it on her way to or from a flight. To the average person, it's all a bit obscene.

No more careless than I see many folk with their belongings.... 

People leaving their phones and handbags on tables with their backs turned....  

Handbags open in busy shopping malls etc... 

See women with open handbags on the BTS etc.. 

See someone pull up at 7-11 and leave their car running while they gets what he wants. 

See a motorcyclist pull up and leave the keys in the bike while he gets what he needs etc.

People in general are often careless with their own belongings...  how many stories do we read of someone leaving a few hundred thousand baht in a bag in a taxi etc... ???

All this points to the fact that there are a lot more honest people around than there are thieves !!!

With this story, the only real difference is the 'value of the item' this lady owns....   that seems to have really put some people in a nicker-twisting-tissy !!!.... 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Many of these companies make editions of five or so, to appeal to the vainest, richest and emptiest people out there. I have seen bags for $50,000 and up. It is insanity. It is appealing to the base instincts of people who simply don't know any better. 

You really do not like wealthy people, huh ???

Do you get equally upset when you see someone being chauffeur driven down Sukhumvit road in an S-Class Merc when they could have taken a Taxi or the Sky-Train ???

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

You really do not like wealthy people, huh ???

Do you get equally upset when you see someone being chauffeur driven down Sukhumvit road in an S-Class Merc when they could have taken a Taxi or the Sky-Train ???

Not true. I have quite a few wealthy friends. But none of them spend $50k on a handbag. There is wealthy, and then there is stupid. 

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No more careless than I see many folk with their belongings.... 

People leaving their phones and handbags on tables with their backs turned....  

Handbags open in busy shopping malls etc... 

See women with open handbags on the BTS etc.. 

See someone pull up at 7-11 and leave their car running while they gets what he wants. 

See a motorcyclist pull up and leave the keys in the bike while he gets what he needs etc.

People in general are often careless with their own belongings...  how many stories do we read of someone leaving a few hundred thousand baht in a bag in a taxi etc... ???

All this points to the fact that there are a lot more honest people around than there are thieves !!!

With this story, the only real difference is the 'value of the item' this lady owns....   that seems to have really put some people in a nicker-twisting-tissy !!!.... 

You say the value 'is the only difference', but it's a very compelling difference. 

Just now, spidermike007 said:

Not true. I have quite a few wealthy friends. But none of them spend $50k on a handbag. There is wealthy, and then there is stupid. 

.... and then there is this remark ['and then there is stupid'] you can judge someone's intelligence by the value of their belongings ???.... 

... that doesn't seem so smart, I'd go as far and suggest that such an opinion itself is stupidity of a form. 

This women was only as stupid as many people who make a mistake... Ever lost your wallet ???

We' are all guilty of losing something, no ?

To her an expensive handbag may be the same as an apple watch to someone else... (value compared to net-worth).

Do any of your friends own anything of value, watches etc ?...  would you judge them as 'stupid' if they wore an AP or Patek ?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spock said:

You say the value 'is the only difference', but it's a very compelling difference. 

It's compelling to you because you're unable to handle the fact that a bag can be worth that much.....

To someone else a $1000 handbag is worth a lot... and the carelessness would be equally as 'compelling', whereas to others its just a bag....   its just part of a 'scale' of what value people put on things (ergo the nike Jordans comment earlier).

... but really, its just an item she was careless with....   

Edited by richard_smith237

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

If one owns a bag of that value, it is not something to brag about. It is an obscenity. The ownership of something like that is representative of a extreme level of self absorbtion, a total lack of perspective on life, and an intense and pathological desire to impress others. Likely due to major self esteem issues. 

If it had been stolen, it is likely she would not have received much sympathy. And one has to wonder, when faced with such riches, what percentage of that wealth she is using to make the world a better place, and ease the suffering of others. Otherwise, she is just an embarrassment to the human race. 

Excellent, well written comment 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

When did you decide that anyone who has money and spends money on what they want is stupid.  How do you know that they do not donate to others.  What gives you the ability to decide who does what with there money. It really amazes me that there are such spiteful people in the world.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Hammer said:

Excellent, well written comment 

Another one who is spiteful towards folks that have money and spend money.  Folks don't spend money unless they have it.  The jealousy in this OP is incredible.

• Like 2

The seven deadly sins may seem like a relic from the past but they are a reasonable guide to where indulgence can exceed proprietary common sense and a healthy sense of self. 

If someone wants nice stuff fair enough but at some point it, in my opinion, becomes an indulgence which can be detrimental to your well being.

The line between seeing quality and having good taste, that crosses into self indulgent ugliness, may not be clear but it is there I think.

So I think it is not jealousy or envy or virtue signalling necessarily to see a $100,000 handbag as a sign that the owner has a poor sense of self.

4 hours ago, BritScot said:

The wording limited edition and the number made is key here. Some Louise Vuitton are well over £150,000 "crazy". They have a very good resale value and some of the rare bags go up in value. My wife had to wait 18 years for her first Louise Vuitton (she now has 2). It was easier to buy knowing it had a resale value...lol

I hope your wife didnt pay a lot of money for a 'Louise Vuitton!"

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

The seven deadly sins may seem like a relic from the past but they are a reasonable guide to where indulgence can exceed proprietary common sense and a healthy sense of self. 

If someone wants nice stuff fair enough but at some point it, in my opinion, becomes an indulgence which can be detrimental to your well being.

The line between seeing quality and having good taste, that crosses into self indulgent ugliness, may not be clear but it is there I think.

So I think it is not jealousy or envy or virtue signalling necessarily to see a $100,000 handbag as a sign that the owner has a poor sense of self.

Some people have so much money that price is not even a consideration

4 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

Some people have so much money that price is not even a consideration

As thy say, if you have to ask the price then you can't afford it.  If I see something I want, I buy it, no questions asked.  Some of us worked hard and saved to get where we are, and some of us also made a considerable amount speculating in certain areas.

7 hours ago, BritScot said:

The wording limited edition and the number made is key here. Some Louise Vuitton are well over £150,000 "crazy". They have a very good resale value and some of the rare bags go up in value. My wife had to wait 18 years for her first Louise Vuitton (she now has 2). It was easier to buy knowing it had a resale value...lol

What or who is Louise Vuitton? The sister of Louis Vuitton?

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

A 2.1 million baht Louis Vuitton bag is not made to travel with, it's made to keep it in the safe at home giving you bragging rights and buying a knock off one to walk around with, to forget such valuable bag behind is a crime.

And a sticker on the knock off saying "my real one is at home, ask to see a picture of it"

I would wager that she didn't buy it, it was given to her as a promotional ploy.  "Oh, look at Lilnu!  I want a bag like hers!"  Is it possible she had it insured, and if it's stolen she gets a pile of cash?  Was she in on it with the thief and he flubbed it?

There's a lot people in the world with more $$$ than they will ever be able to spend; one of the richest men in the world is the owner of LVMH

Edited by bendejo

23 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Beauty doesn't always equate to having brains.

Well said. My Thai son and his wife have regular visits from an old uni colleague. She's as dumb as a brick. Des stupid things, says stupid things. About 2 years back she walked out of Central Fesival with 3 pairs expensive jeans without paying.

Confronted she said "But I want to see what they look like on me in the daylight." 

She called my DIL daughter in law who went quickly to the store. DIL explained her 'uni friend' was basically stupid.

Uni friend confirmed this by saying 'Everybody does this, it's normal and the shop says you can do it.' The dumb beauty told the store and the cops 'my uni senior (my DIL) said it's ok so you have to listen to her rule'.

DIL then disowned her and walked out.

Luckily she's never returned and doesn't call.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1